1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

Stopped by after work and snagged a pair of Schautals for my dad - thanks for the heads up!

Was wondering if I could get a little help dating a pair of J&M Aristocrafts...

[​IMG]

Spade soles, handwritten size/model.

The only similar pair I could find were these:

http://www.classicshoesformen.com/s...de-sole-full-brogue-oxford-circa-1950-43-435d

Unfortunately mine aren't their "Hand Made" Aristocraft, but I still think they're pretty interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking maybe 60s?

Also kopped some Belvedere croc tassles in good condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Agreed! I picked up a minty Brooks Brothers wool & cashmere overcoat in an out-of-town GW and it was priced at $25 (all their winter coats were $25, even London Fog & crap brands), and I was like "WTF, my local GW would charge $9 for this!". Then I realized there aren't too many places I'd find the same coat for twice the price, and it's a GW for chrissakes - not like I'd be helping someone pay for their Italian supercar tune-up's or whatnot. So it was a good kop.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Let me say at the outset that I still cherish the tradition on this threak of not posting prices. But if you people are going to start...

Uh say whut?
    You left exotic skins from decent makers for $40?? Even size 12 that's an awesome deal.
    You're joking, right?

I think we're still not hitting on all cylinders my friend. Beat up J&Ms get $20 around here. But that's more a statement of my area's absurdity than anything else.

4. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

I think once price is involved it will detract from finds.

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

That hunting jacket everyone is talking about looked pretty terrible. Good pass I think.

See the very first post of the thread. Sharing prices is encouraged. A Brioni suit at 5 bucks is much more brag worthy than the same at 100 bucks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Wow!

Jeez, went to a few stores including a discount store, and damn, found a bunch of stuff but helllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaa over priced!!!! Did cop 2 NWT ragn bone, Mad in USA ugly ass color chinos. Pics later.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Nice! Talk about synergy! Same case as I found. Sadly the glasses for my case were MIA as well....

This. :(

I still kick myself for passing on 10+ pairs of Star Artioli exotic skin shoes a year or so ago that were $50 each. Was literally out of money and could only buy one pair. By the time I was able to borrow some cash and went back they were long gone :fu:. On the other hand, I am glad I bought what Spoo considered to be the best pair of the lot (barely worn Ferragamo gator skin lace-ups).

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Fair enough. My thinking was more like "Oh, this jacket would have been 8 bucks at my local GW". So I thought about it for an hour, no one here expressed interest in it, it wasn't my size, so I let it go. I have interest now, so I'll pick it up. It'll probably end up traded on here if I get it. I'm still in need of building up my own wardrobe.

I had also found a super 150's blazer made by a name I couldn't track down. It was called Baroni (NOT BRIONI!) and the most prominent label was super 150's. I found a thread on AAAC and SF about them, but it looks like their suits were selling for 250-300 bucks new and fetch about 50-100 bucks on the bay so I might pick it up if it's a suit and maybe if it's an orphan in my size.

I guess the biggest take home for me is that I need to stop being so scared to make a mistake if I feel like something is right. It's a pretty good life lesson to learn and heck I'm still young!

Really? I'm curious why you think so. It had a lot of good details that had caught my eyes: throat latch, elbow patches, chest protector. It had a pretty good hand feel and no moth holes or rips inside.

I was also a little dissuaded because I saw this when I googled the name:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/thornproof-sport-coat-by-christopher-dawes-for-men~p~40238/

Edit: Also found my first T&A shirt. Did not cop. It was marked at $10.
    (The collar was also frayed to oblivion!)

And I'm sad I lost the bid on this jacket. I thrifted the matching pants about a month ago. Would have been a suit! Then again, it's possible that the color is slightly different, so maybe it's a good thing :/

9. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Thrift Thread Gift Exchange 2013​

STACKZZZZZZZZZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    West Is Dead

[​IMG]
    James Perse

[​IMG]
    The Good Dockers!!!!

[​IMG]
    Surface To Air!!!!!

Big shouts to Randomore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 people like this.
  10. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

If the Ferragamo's were in the case at $40, the others left out would most likely be significantly lower than that. As a 11.5 I'd be interested in what they were for a proxy for sure. Even for flipping, I don't understand why people pass at slightly higher thrift prices or wait for 1/2 off day. Price them well and they'll move quick; you could easy double or triple your money in a few quick transactions or trade them within minutes on here. Why risk having them walk off in someone else's hands to maybe get them $20 cheaper later? At $40/pr, I would have bought them up if they're in excellent condition. 11.5-12 are desirable sizes, for trading and flipping.

11. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Got off the train from school and headed straight to savers, this is what i found.

Ben Silver BD for myself (Legit the nicest USA made shirt I have found)
    [​IMG]

Recent Sammy 110s navy orphan 46R (dual vented, Grap some blazer buttons and your set.)
    [​IMG]

J.Press and Escada
    [​IMG]

WHAAAAATTTTT??????
    [​IMG]

Random wool knits
    [​IMG]

BEST FOR LAST! Michelangelo check dual vent patch pocket 1/4 lined cotton SC?????? Who the FUCK is Michelangelo???????
    [​IMG]

ISAIA IS MICHELANGELO!!
    [​IMG]
    I like thrifting at home.

5 people like this.
  12. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Good thoughts - My reasoning: a number of them had tassels and I just don't dig them. Some had more wear than others, but they were marked in the $25-$55 range and I didn't really want to take the risk of letting them tie up my capital while they sit in storage for a minimal flip. I'll be back tomorrow to see if more come out and will take a few photos to see if there is anything you'd like proxied.

13. DanM

DanM Senior member

This. Also, I'd like to see more 11E finds...

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

That's not the tradition - it is the break from tradition.

Wrong - the brag is in what you found at the price you paid. I can post five NWT $2500 Brioni suits as a "brag" for which I paid $500 each (but you'd never know that). How is that a "Thrift / Discount Store Brag"?

Was going to say the same...when I first started on this forum I got all sorts of heat for posting prices paid; I argued that the thread starter (and SF honcho) had done the same...the point of the brag being what you got at the price you paid, but it has strayed from that and now price paid is a closely-guarded secret because the majority of folks here flip their stuff on ebay...and what I am writing right now will be indexed and show up on page 1 of Google by tomorrow if I posted a "new with tags FW14 runway Tom Ford leather and shearling jacket, only paid $10 at Goodwill!" and someone saw it on eBay and Googled it.
    On the flip-side (pun intended), I think the majority of stuff posted here does really come from thrift/charity shops and is indeed brag-worthy...but obviously a lot is not thrifted, and comes from close-out sales, end-of-season clearances, outlets, etc (I mean, who thrifts scores of NWT Belvest? no one).
    Eh, old argument, I'm obviously on one side but still don't post paid prices any longer.

15. suited

suited Senior member

MG charcoal suit. Unfortunately, it's unvented and pleated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Crap, I forgot I was in the thrift exchange. My guy, I got you! Gimme a couple of days and it'll be out.

17. 330CK

330CK Senior member

In the thread thrifters come and go Talking of Michelangelo

2 people like this.
  18. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Yeah I need to stop posting prices, I think it isn't that great of a thing to do!
    But anyway, I kopped 3 pairs of Coppley Trousers and a pair of Samuelson JP Tilford. Quite happy.

19. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Love it! But for realz, has anyone heard of this brand?

20. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Been pretty dry around here lately. Still waiting and hoping for the year end donation rush. A couple of things today.

PRL Belted Trench
    [​IMG]

Waxed cotton jacket by [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vtg BB 3/2 Suit
    [​IMG]

Anyone know dates for the this label?
    [​IMG]

Custom local tailor w/ LP Super 130s, pick stitching and surgeon cuffs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.