1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Samuelsohn is pretty well respected, I thought, at least on the wider SF. Pretty sure on that maker ranking thread I found way back when I was a newb, they were placed pretty high. I like my Samuelsohn/Paul Stuarts quite a lot, though if I had one complaint, the sleeve head angle is off for my frame, and the shoulders end up rumpling. Not on all suits, but definitely on some.
    Nothing rippable there. You did well. I've been tempted to pick up many a Barney's tie. Anyone knows who makes them? Many seem well made, I've just not found one that really sings to me enough to bump something else out of the rotation. (OK, well that PRL tie is, to my eye, hideous, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder) BTW, thanks again for all the compliments guys. It's been an exciting, if expensive, few days.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Why are you guys such panzies?

Often yes with bulky items, but mostly to kill moths/insects. Anything small enough to go into my freezer gets inspected for obvious evidence of soilage and gets cleaned if present. Otherwise, who gives an eff; my intimate bits are covered by a tee shirt and boxers.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

4. Mister Squishy

Mister Squishy Active Member

Some finds:

Silk/linen/viscose Orvis - beige with blue windowpane

[​IMG]

Harris Tweed - brown with multicolor check

[​IMG]

Reversible Italian leather by Roberto Pierguini

[​IMG]

Holland & Sherry bespoke suit in grey with stripes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some things I passed on, but would like to know if I shouldn't have:

Lanvin navy DB with silver logo buttons & fine pickstitching made in Italy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.C. Wells bespoke suit - 4-button DB from 1975

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Hey Mr Squishy

Each to their own as they say.

I may have had these as keepers, let me know next time you're passing on :smarmy:

6. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Area thrift stores are safe from my amateur predations this weekend.
    My annual winter camping trip (basically a conclave of dudes drinking way too much and making a very large fire in a remote area) happens to fall on the worst cold snap the Pacific NW has seen in ages. I can't remember the last time it got down below 20 degrees here. My beat up old Filson will be just one of about six layers I'll wear for two days and nights. And screw tents-I'm sleeping in my hatchback!
    Wish me well, y'all!

3 people like this.
  7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

VERY well done! And I paid $5 for my camera tripod at a Value Village so it's not as strange as you think. The most important thing about the tripods in thrift stores is that you must make sure they have the 'foot' that attaches to the camera base. Does yours have it? I don't see it in the picture. It is a plastic piece with a screw that goes into bottom of the camera and then you flip the little quick release lever on the side of the tripod base to insert the camera atop the tripod.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  8. wojt

wojt Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

silk 54/46 wool
    e-thrifted for 12$, hope it fits :)

9. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

I gave my kids some Monsters U toys last evening. Does that count?

Also did some thrifting yesterday, but the only half decent things I found were either orphaned or stained jackets (some Boss and Burberry). Also found some dress shirts from Paul Stuart (Europe made unfortunately, it's another brand). So all passed.

10. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Even if the individual item has been recently dry cleaned it likely has been sitting in a pile of other donated clothes that have not been.

11. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I checked the weather when I woke up this morning. Currently -39 with windchill.

:freeze:

So I empathize with you. Stay warm Brother!

1 person likes this.
  12. eazye

eazye Senior member

Gentleman, I just wanted to check in and congratulate you all who keep posting stupendous hauls, you know who you are, too many for me to individually call out. Noobs, you all are getting better, faster. Good job! As for me, it's finals week, so I won't be out in the field until next Thursday, at which point, I hope to do a marathon day to make up for lost time. To my Secret Santa, your package will be a little later getting out than most, but just hold tight. If all else fails, your getting some booze. Keep it up dudes, living vicariously through you is getting me through this week. :slayer: :slayer:

3 people like this.
  13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Hahaha. I see you bro, I see you :p

14. TWU2014

TWU2014 Senior member

The set is complete. Paid $3. I found this gem in the home and cooking section of GW.

1 person likes this.
  15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Ditto, as edited. Emphasis added.

16. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Looks pretty good except for the shopping cart.

17. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Damn! You're going to be done a day before me. I guess I won't bother doing the same on Friday.

18. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Dang. Buyer may not be the brightest guy on the planet, which certainly didn't help...but that ain't right.

<< Peter Clatworthy, a 19-year old in Nottingham, England, wanted to buy a special edition XBox One for his 4-year old son for Christmas. >>

Guy is 19 and already has a 4 y/o kid?

I bet if I listed this picture on eBay as "Picture of Peter Clatworthy buying a picture of an XBox One", he'd probably buy it.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

Guys in field... Any meat left on this bone??

[​IMG]

20. eazye

eazye Senior member

And the goal of turning my house into an RL store just took one step forward. :slayer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    13 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.