• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

torz

Reaction score
Went to three thrift stores in in upper east side NYC, the first two I was in and out because prices were to high, one was practically a consignment store, The last was a good old goodwill...some finds from both upstate and the city...

John Varvatos Italy Medium Cotton/linen vest

Bugatchi Uomo shirt medium...poor mans Robert Graham?

3 more Hamilton shirts from Richards CT...17in neck

J crew medium Jacket, cool plaid and 4$

Left this in the store...hand stitched lapel...Karl Jackson?

Lanvin SC 40R. Had some good SCs at the goodwill in NYC, only took one

2 Faconable shirts, also 17in neck

60's era Pendelton hunting plaid fleece...same logo as the other Pendelton I found, Medium...very cool

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to vote genuine. There seems to be a ton of detailing on them. Finicky stuff, like the leather straps on the pockets.
Plus the style is almost a safari jodhpur. Jodhpurs (not the shoe kind) are the equestrian equivalent of yoga pants. Google image Jodhpur and tell me if you agree.
satisfied.gif

uhoh.gif

Propasta and regular Canali are made to the same standards, just different cuts. Propasta was, like you said, a more youthful and modern cut. I think it's been several years since Propasta has been made but if you can find one of their later pieces, you'll find that they still look pretty current.
Really? I've seen Propasta jackets 1/2 canvassed vs. their mainline being fully canvassed.
Alright fellas, after seeing all the great things you guys are finding, I decided to try and go thrifting myself. I'm in college and trying to build my wardrobe, so I thought this may be a good (and CHEAP!) way to find some things for myself while also finding things to sell/trade. I bought a BUNCH of stuff, so you guys will have to let me know what you think. As a first time thrifter, what I think may be a good find could very well be crap, so constructive criticism is encouraged!

Right now I'm just going to post pics of the sport coats I found. I'll post the other stuff later.

First up is a vintage Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece DB coat 39R

Burberry 41R SC 100s Wool

Vintage Ermenegildo Zegna (no tag for size and I'm too lazy right now to measure but I would guess 42R)

Vintage Brooks Brothers 42R

This one is my favorite. I know it is a dated SC and not Canali's best, but it's my first patch pocket SC
biggrin.gif
. Canali 40 S (I found the original extra buttons in one of the pockets)

Another Burberry. Don't know the size but it is big, probably a 48.

Finally, a coat that I didn't recongnize the tags, however it did have a lot of the signs of a good coat (pick stitching, 120s Australian wool), so I took the $5 gamble. If anyone has any info that would be great. Tag says Galvani Collezione.

Welcome to the thread, man! The BBGF looks to be an orphan. Those Burberrys' are not too great but if they fit, awesome. That Proposta is really awesome! I really dig the patch pockets! Good pick up for me!!!
mwink[1].gif

Alright ya'll. I know I havent been active the last couple of months (not that any of you have noticed) but its been a good past few weeks in the thrifting game.
Get your kleenex and lotion ready cause theres going to be plenty of brand Appreciation and a possible Cheapies nomination for next year...
Stay tuned.
lurker[1].gif

See? Point proven -- I'm new to this game.
Don't worry, man. Stick around and you'll be hauling ass like some of the big boys.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to three thrift stores in in upper east side NYC, the first two I was in and out because prices were to high, one was practically a consignment store, The last was a good old goodwill...some finds from both upstate and the city...

John Varvatos Italy Medium Cotton/linen vest

Bugatchi Uomo shirt medium...poor mans Robert Graham?

3 more Hamilton shirts from Richards CT...17in neck

J crew medium Jacket, cool plaid and 4$

Left this in the store...hand stitched lapel...Karl Jackson?

Lanvin SC 40R. Had some good SCs at the goodwill in NYC, only took one

2 Faconable shirts, also 17in neck

60's era Pendelton hunting plaid fleece...same logo as the other Pendelton I found, Medium...very cool

drool.gif
on the vest.

Hide your pendletons, cuz Fueco is coming for that!

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I've seen Propasta jackets 1/2 canvassed vs. their mainline being fully canvassed.

Hmm, it could very well differ between the earlier stuff and older stuff, but my Propasta tux is fully canvased and just as nice as the mainline suit I just picked up.

Last edited:

InimitableStyle

Reaction score
I pretty much stick to Goodwill for shirts, sportcoats, ties, shoes and suits although those hideous 4 button sportcoats from 2 years ago abound now. I recently scored 2 beautiful Dunhill custom silk ties for $1.99 each

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, it could very well differ between the earlier stuff and older stuff, but my Propasta tux is fully canvased and just as nice as the mainline suit I just picked up.
Did you pick up the mainline suit from a thrift or from a sale? Got pics? I would like to see it if you don't mind.

jamiebryant

Reaction score
Alright guys, here it is as promised.
None of it is available. Sorry.
Oh yeah, I decided to post only the stuff I was excited about.

BROOKS BROTHERS
Wool Sport Coat with Throat Latch...

POLO RALPH LAUREN
Brown Suede Leather Moto/Cafe Racer Jacket

Junya Watanabe x Comme des Garcons MAN...

PRPS
Work Shirt with Chin Strap. New.

GITMAN VINTAGE
Seersucker/Plaid Short Sleeve

More GITMAN VINTAGE...

Junya Watanabe x Comme des Garcons MAN
Rare Biker Jeans. From 2007...

APC
Rare Olive Waxed Jeans. MADE IN FRANCE (Not Macau or wherever else they make it)

LODEN DAGER
Hooded Coat. Navy Blue....

ETON
Contemporary Stripe Shirt.

RALPH LAUREN PURPLE LABEL
Pink/Black/White Stripe Shirt.

MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA
Military Jacket.

CoSTUME NATIONAL HOMME
Flannel Sport Coat with Ticket Pocket....

I didnt pick this up but I thought you guys would appreciate it. Why didnt it come home with me?
It had ink stains.

It was my lucky day today. Saw the chick roll the rack out with incoming pieces.
She set a good 4-5 pieces on the jeans/chinos rack and I decided to look. Damn am I glad I did...

Dior Homme
Kris van Assche era. Made in Italy...

DIOR HOMME
Hedi Slimane era shirt. Japan Only...

WEST IS DEAD
Denim Work Shirt...

STEVEN ALAN
Short Collar Shirt. Nice and thin, perfect for the upcoming summer.

GANT RUGGER
The Hugger. Red, White, and Blue Gingham.

2 Billy Reid Shirts with Convertible Sleeves.

COMME des GARCONS HOMME PLUS
Badass Coat thing.

Another Billy Reid. Slim Cut. Made in Italy...

Recent T&A in Pink/White Check....

UNIS
Gio...

Levis LVC
1933 Selvage...

Woolrich x Bonobos
Made in USA Slim Wool Trousers....

COMME des GARCONS SHIRT....

POLO RALPH LAUREN
Wool/Cashmere Trousers. Made in Italy....

LEE
101 Z Selvage....

and finally...

POLO RALPH LAUREN
Wool Flannel. Unionmade. Floating Canvas Blazer.

BUT WAIT...

DEJA VU???...

11.3 grams of 14k Gold...

and lastly...I picked these up for this special occasion...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot my near miss from this morning...

I spotted a beautiful unicorn print tie in a case at a thrift shop. I google searched and found the same tie (Hermes) had just sold for $110 on Ebay. Their price? $20. Damn thing had a 5 inch stain covering the whole thing. I offered to pay $2. They refused... Damn thing was unwearable, but oh so cool. I'd take a chance for a couple of bucks that the stain might come out, but not $20!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and lastly...I picked these up for this special occasion...

I'm not at all sure I want to know what sort of special occasion you have in mind for these...
cry.gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, A BIG shout out to Barrelntrigger, for sending me a box of awesome sauce. my first Turnbull&Asser prompted an instant thrift fit.

Tie- T&A
Shirt- Paul smith,made in italy.
Suit- Marks&Spencer blue pinstripe
Pocketsquare- Geoffrey Beene
Shoes- Florshiem Gilmores.

Dude, you are on my Christmas list. fo sho.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, A BIG shout out to Barrelntrigger, for sending me a box of awesome sauce. my first Turnbull&Asser prompted an instant thrift fit.

Tie- T&A
Shirt- Paul smith,made in italy.
Suit- Marks&Spencer blue pinstripe
Pocketsquare- Geoffrey Beene
Shoes- Florshiem Gilmores.

Dude, you are on my Christmas list. fo sho.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
fing02[1].gif
What?! More rare Japanese toys???!!!!!!!!!!
drool.gif

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads