• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you gents familiar with Jack Victor? I know they have a few lines. I've seen a few orphans at the thrift stores. They felt ok. Nothing too great. I've bought a few of their pants. Looks to be decently constructed.

Anyhow, I just bought their "N" or Napoli 2 piece, 1/2 canvassed, 2 piece suit for under $300 from STP with my coupon. This is the slim fit model with less shoulder padding. I've been on the hunt for a staple interview suits for a year now. Finally took the plunge. STP has great return services so I took that into consideration. This is a not thrift piece but a discounted piece. I've been losing some weight so I hope this slim fitting suit will fit me well.

Anyone has experiences with their fit/quality/style? Any comments would be awesome!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ja...length;s/pantstyle~flat front/&colorFamily=01

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't th
Been a while dudes. First up, what I believe is a big E truckers jacket from 1967-1969. I am pretty confident on the dating but can't verify the big E because whoever had this thing snipped the Levi's tag WTF who does something like that? Anyways, it was cheap enough to justify the risk. Size 38.
XS Freeman's Sporting Club wool/cotton blend sweatshirt material blazer jacket. A bit pricier than thrift prices but you don't see FSC around much... Beat up Charvet tie but couldn't leave it behind. Kiton 7-fold. Needs to be retipped, but cheap! Isaia 7-fold. Good shape, N/A. Pretty hideous RG, so I'm thinking good $$ on the 'bay. 3 patterns around the collar this thing is ridiculous! MOP buttons which is a departure from the usual with these.
It looks to be a type III. Does it have 2 pocket? The ones from the 60's have a single snitching cuff near the cuff button and they have 2 breast pockets. Additional photos would help.
Don't the care tags scream "post early 70s"??

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks to be a type III. Does it have 2 pocket? The ones from the 60's have a single snitching cuff near the cuff button and they have 2 breast pockets. Additional photos would help. 

Yeah I was thinking it's a type III - here's some more photos.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found the shoes I've been hoping for, and some other cool things. Allen Edmonds Lombards (for me)
Nice finds. If you ever want to get rid of those Lombards, they'd fill a spot in my rotation I've been looking to fill for a while.
Was a time a few days without hitting a thrift would have me shaking. Yesterday marked a month. Not that I gave it up mind you, God forbid! A teenage girl not paying attention to the road has laid me up for a long while. Thinking I may try venturing out to the nearby GW in a couple weeks. Just never thought I'd be "that guy" taking up all the aisle space in a wheelchair
shog%5B1%5D.gif
Anyway, not to piss in your Cheerios or anything, just saying, at least you can scratch that itch!
fing02%5B1%5D.gif
That. Freaking. Sucks. Glad you're ok(ish). Feel better soon, bro.
First, shout out to GMMcL for hooking me up with a bunch of ties in a trade. Nice to throw so many new ties into the rotation. Thanks!
Enjoy, bro. Did you notice that the purple one is 7 fold? But right back at you: The Pantherellas are great! As to what the BD is with Pantherellas, I'm on the record saying the nylon content makes my feet sweat. And it does. But they also fit like a glove, have great patterns and colors, don't pill*, and the merino ones feel like wearing butter. *Caution: Wash those badboys inside out, esp the merino ones, otherwise they WILL pill. Scratched the itch. Crap-ton of wool ties. Mostly vtg Rooster, but a few others thrown in. Nothing mind-blowing, but some interesting stuff. The purple and yellow striped one (second one in in the second closeup pic) is my fave. I will probably keep that one and maybe 1 or 2 more. Get at me if you're interested. Who's a 12D and wants an awesome pair of project shoes? AE Sanford Battistoni x2. I'd seen these weeks ago, but didn't pick up due to some fray and damage. Today they were half off. And so was this Zegna. PRL USA made trou.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All of our local Savers seem to have absolutely no quality merchandise ever but it appears others elsewhere here have had better luck.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. In 10+ years, only things I have ever found at Savers are a Barbour Beaufort jacket and a Brioni sportcoat and this was over 4 years ago.
Also, is there a way to date a Zegna suit based on the tag?
Not exactly but they switched to that style in 2005-ish. Easier to date them by the actual Zegna label. I think the one you have doesn't have the tonal Z in the background, right? If so, it's 2007-2009 (ish).
Oh, whats this? My first "good" piece of vtg outerwear!! Only took a year... Please, please tell me this is the Gerry im looking for and that its $$$$. Perfect shape, all down.
Sadly no. That's a ski jacket from like 1985. You're looking for the classic puffer jackets/vests and 60/40-ish parkas. You're looking for these:
Still, excellent haul! :slayer:
Pics from the field....thanks for the quick reply Spoo!!! :fistbump: MAKE IT RAIN
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
:slayer:
XS Freeman's Sporting Club wool/cotton blend sweatshirt material blazer jacket. A bit pricier than thrift prices but you don't see FSC around much...
Wow! FSC in a thrift?! Score! :slayer:

Last edited:

sn0wman

Reaction score
No fabric clothes today, but found a couple of exotics at half price:

Lightly worn Dan Post Ostrich boots (7 1/2 -- very nice -- shame they weren't size 11)

And then these shoes are really nice, made of crocodile in size 9M from Spain, but I've never heard of them and can't find anything out about them on google..
J&A Bruno & Co??

CesarC

Reaction score
Hey, any 44L want a charcoal herringbone tweed overcoat? Single-breasted notch-lapel, nice heavy weight. Can go back for proxy, standard GW prices.

PM Sent!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

XS Freeman's Sporting Club wool/cotton blend sweatshirt material blazer jacket. A bit pricier than thrift prices but you don't see FSC around much...

I passed on those same braces at $20, but thought hard about it. Been sitting there for a while now, can still decide to get them, maybe I should.
Marshall's brag

trafalgar braces and pantherella socks

+1 I dig the merino ones, which after washing mold to your feet extremely well, and they are at once very cool and very warm in a wide range of temperature conditions. Hand-linked toe is nice, too, for comfort. Haven't used the cotton ones, so can't speak to that. I find CK mercerized do pretty well on my feet, so I stick to those when doing cotton.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's been a pretty incredible week for my wardrobe--acquired several all-time grails thanks to a few members here:

1. That omfgsupersicknastyamazeballs Kiton 14 micron navy suit from tben :slayer:
2. PRL x Corneliani glen plaid POW (blue overcheck) suit and Mario Muscariello gingham shirt from gmmcl :slayer:
3. Belvest cashmere and silk blend, unlined and totally unstructured, absolutely amazing SC from marblehouse :slayer:

Also managed to find a fourth grail on my own: a 1973 bespoke charcoal grey suit that fits literally perfectly and could pass for a Tom Ford design if I added an extra sleeve button. Kinda want to phone this guy up and buy all his suits.

Was going to wait to do shout-outs until I have thrift fit pictures, but I owe all these guys such a huge thank you that I'll thank them again when I post some pics.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today's find:
And who can tell me about these Church's?

I can tell you they and the Cheaneys are sexy as hell. (wish they were brown. Just sayin')

2. PRL x Corneliani glen plaid POW (blue overcheck) suit and Mario Muscariello gingham shirt from gmmcl :slayer:

Right back at you and soooo many others the last few weeks for awesome transactions: Spoo, csoukoulis, Nat, friskydingo, Dexconstrux .... so many others. I really enjoy dealing with all of you! No Drunko; just really appreciate this place.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I haven't done a real thrift fit in a while and I wanted to give you an update on the stuff I brought to the tailor...
southwick suit I bought a while back from someone on here (sorry I can't remember)
shirt is mtm tie is no name pin up thrifted by me shoes are alden thrifted by me shirt online mtm
I lengthened the sleeves slimmed them, nipped the waist and tapered the pants to a 7.75 opening (wish I had gone with 8...)
the thing I like most about this suit is the slightly extended soft shoulders and the long jacket as well as the slightly lower button stance (also forgive the no socks I had to hurry to get these pics before basketball...) also forgive the incredibly boring and trad styling I just went with basics as I was in a rush...

next up... andover shop blazer traded for on here, bb deadstock glenn plaid pants courtesy of casey fud (post a backpack fit...) shoes ae from ebay, tie vintage self tipped unlined silk thrifted by me
blazer just did sleeve lengthening and waist supression pant I lengthened and tapered to an 8 in opening

only difference here is the dope linen prl made in italy blazer from my homey barrel
fistbump.gif

sleeves were perfect length on this one just did some waist suppresion

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking it's a type III - here's some more photos.

What are the numbers stamped on the back of the button? Everything looks pretty consistent with the ones that were made in the 60's. Does it say "3x" on the sizing? If so, that's also pretty consistent with the older ones. The newer/reproductions have the "S", "M", "L", and so on for the sizing. Hope that helps, man! It's a nice piece for yourself. But they don't seem to sell very well on flea bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads