The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

vintage shell before and after pictures showing a very deep cordovan patina

storm welt, double oak, and a brand stamped in all leather lining I cannot identify.

Great find. Shell really cleans up good.

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Oh, it's more. Not just the smell. the item was described as excellent condition. But there's a lot of pilling (it's a sweater), an initial of god know who inside the collar band.

Well that's a whole other issue if the item was misrepresented. But if I'm buying used clothes either at a thrift or on e-bay. I assume it might not be perfect. The worst case I encountered from e-bay was a Paul Stuart shirt that wasn't as good as described or shown in the pictures. Needless to say it was donated. My rule of thumb for thrifting with the intent to either swap it or flip it is "would I wear it?"....if the answer is no it stays on the rack.

3. GentlemanGeorge

GentlemanGeorge Active Member

Stumbled on a cache of about 20 or so cleaned and pressed dress shirts in my size, all Brooks Brothers, Lands End, and Paul Stuart for $3.49 a piece. Kept 12: the Brookses and the LEs with MOP buttons but left the Paul Stuarts (2 of them) because they were a little looser in the neck. May go back to pick them up for a trade, however.

4. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Question to those who know:

Sometimes, w/shoes, a price is written on the leather sole in silver or black magic marker.

How to remove without messing up the sole too much? Nail polish remover? Something else?

5. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Great find. Shell really cleans up good.

Thank you....water sponge, dry. AE leather lotion, dry. A smigen of AE Cordovan cream polish, dry. Camelhair brush like mad. Brown edge dressing.... 20-30 minutes total.

Now, to get new soles and heels.

6. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Sometimes, w/shoes, a price is written on the leather sole in silver or black magic marker.

How to remove without messing up the sole too much? Nail polish remover? Something else?

fine sandpaper, edge dressing over sole

that is, if you do not change soles and heels. I always do, unless absolutely new.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Try lighter fluid on a cloth or paper towel.

8. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

Try lighter fluid on a cloth or paper towel.

best put out the cigarette before attempting.

9. MKB

MKB Senior member

And a nice NOS Wormser Royal Luxury "The Texan" model gentleman cowboy(LBJ) hat to go with my boots when I go to town Saturday nights. Yee, Haw!

Not so much of a hat guy, but that bad boy looks pristine. Should go great with the ostrich boots.

10. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Not so much of a hat guy, but that bad boy looks pristine. Should go great with the ostrich boots.

Not a rub on any of the hatband decaling or a smudge on the felt. Even the silk(?) trim is pristine.

My size, too.

Just needs a good air spraying for some dust. I wish they would have donated the box it was in, I doubt it was ever worn.

11. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

anybody know anything about Hardy Aimes? i found a few nice ties from this label and i'm wondering where they rank quality wise. they appear to be of high quality.

12. GentlemanGeorge

GentlemanGeorge Active Member

13. cmp1223

cmp1223 Member

And I added the last picture to show my secret for reducing those unsightly BIG WAVES on shoes stored for years without trees.They are unbuffed, taking for soles and heels first.

Secret? Add a bit more cream polish all over, especially where the waves are, do not brush, place in 85-100 degree oven overnight with trees. Cool. Very wet rub-down with soft cloth. To add the shine, brush with vigor.

Excellent tip, thank you

14. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Here are a couple pics of the Holland & Sherry I thrifted last week. Lucky for me the shirt fits me great too[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Excellent tip, thank you

Shell only, I have not tried calf. Those fibers in the horse membrane must have a memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.