• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swan Song

Reaction score
BB 1818 Brookscool poplin two button jacket in khaki

Python snake boots, Made in USA, unknown maker

ChadHahn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Well, I wouldn't have bought it had it been expensive. And I agree in general about the internet versus dictionaries and encyclopedias. However, I think the OED is different than any other reference work, plus to gain access to the OED online you have to subscribe. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have this around for the price.

I was back in the thrift store that had the OED. It was sold. Like I said, I already had an edition but this one was in very good condition and had the Bausch & Lomb magnifying glass. Oh well. I didn't need it.

I agree that having a version is worthwhile.

Chad

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys remove the thrift store smell out of "dry clean only" item. I got an item from ebay but it was obviously from a thrift store (have to open a case and dispute, blah blah blah, but it's my loss cost now, I just want to see what I can recover).

mystillwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
How do you guys remove the thrift store smell out of "dry clean only" item.

a steam cleaning (either a steam washer/dryer which is what i use, or a simple dry cleaning) or a good Fabreezing.

I got an item from ebay but it was obviously from a thrift store.

whats the problem with this? if you like the garment and can get rid of the "thrift store smell" then what's the issue? this thread is all about folks who find great wearable stuff at thrift stores. you probably won't find much sympathy here.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys remove the thrift store smell out of "dry clean only" item. I got an item from ebay but it was obviously from a thrift store (have to open a case and dispute, blah blah blah, but it's my loss cost now, I just want to see what I can recover).

Just as a PSA: there are ebay seller that comb thrift stores and then resell. I ran into two yesterday shopping the men's section. They do make a profit doing this.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, I dont have a steamer though.

Originally Posted by mystillwater
whats the problem with this? if you like the garment and can get rid of the "thrift store smell" then what's the issue? this thread is all about folks who find great wearable stuff at thrift stores. you probably won't find much sympathy here.

Well, I just hate the smell. So that why I am asking if I can get rid of that smell. I like the item though, but if it's too troublesome, I will just get rid of it.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I just hate the smell. So that why I am asking if I can get rid of that smell. I like the item though, but if it's too troublesome, I will just get rid of it.

Depends on the smell. Sometimes it takes a washing and other times just to sit in the sun on a hot dry day.

Is it musty? Barfy? Poopy? Dead skunky?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
How was it 'obviously' from a thrift store? Where do you think most of the used items on ebay come from?

You can steam it, dry clean it, or simply hang it outside for awhile to let it air out.

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swan Song
Python snake boots, Made in USA, unknown maker

$#!+!!! I've thrifted a few pairs of cowboy boots myself in the last several weeks, but nothing like those and the ostrich ones
drool.gif
. 2 pairs of Dan Posts, both about 30 years old, and a pair of unmarked gator/croc/caiman boots in a hornback cut, all for $7 a pair. Purely out of curiosity, how much did you pay for them, and what size are they? I'd just like to know how jealous I should be. BTW, not sure if you know, but Nocona Boot Company was started by "Miss Enid" Justin of Justin Boot Company fame. After her father died, her brothers wanted to move the Justin Boot Company from Nocona to a larger city. Miss Enid didn't think that's what her father would have wanted, so she and a handful of workers stayed behind. She borrowed $5,000 for equipment and supplies and started Nocona Boot Company. Great looking boots. Congratulations.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow - you want to open a dispute because it has a "thrift store smell"?
facepalm.gif
It's buyers like you that make selling on eBay a royal pain ********** nowadays.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MKB
$#!+!!! I've thrifted a few pairs of cowboy boots myself in the last several weeks, but nothing like those and the ostrich ones
drool.gif
. 2 pairs of Dan Posts, both about 30 years old, and a pair of unmarked gator/croc/caiman boots in a hornback cut, all for $7 a pair. Purely out of curiosity, how much did you pay for them, and what size are they? I'd just like to know how jealous I should be. BTW, not sure if you know, but Nocona Boot Company was started by "Miss Enid" Justin of Justin Boot Company fame. After her father died, her brothers wanted to move the Justin Boot Company from Nocona to a larger city. Miss Enid didn't think that's what her father would have wanted, so she and a handful of workers stayed behind. She borrowed $5,000 for equipment and supplies and started Nocona Boot Company. Great looking boots. Congratulations.

Thanks for boot envy
smile.gif

the ostrich boot(9.5D, rounded toe) was $30 plus $65 for full soles and heels. These are at least 25-30 years old. Perfect fit, and not cracked.

the python boot(10D, narrowed toe) was $25 plus $65. If I were guessing, these are probably Laredo, Miller or Dan Post. Perfect fit.

Paid a bit more than you, but this was a community charity that provide food to the needy, and I have bought $3 bespoke jackets, and $7 leather overcoats before, so it all kinda evens out.

yes, I knew their history, but the details had faded over time. I have lived in North Texas within 2-300 miles of Nocona my whole life.

My baseball gloves in the 60-70's were made in Nocona, I can remember sending my glove and a letter explaining the need for repairs and new lacing, and unexpectedly getting the glove returned, repaired, with a NO CHARGE invoice. I was 16. Still have the tube of Nocona "Glove Balm" they sent with it. Customer for life, thereafter.

Dad also took me to their factory for my first pair of "adult" Cowboy Boots when I was going away to college. Lizard wingtip in calf. SMOKIN' !!

and I think I posted this before....but I spray Lysol into the boots(or shoes) till the liquid runs easily from tip to heel, a real puddle, then I wrap in plastic wrap like from the cleaners to trap the vapor. Let it dry for a day, Repeat X2. Then let them dry completely in the open. I then take them for repair.

Nary a problem over the years.

Still lookin' for a pair of thrifted Crocodile boots.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
facepalm.gif
It's buyers like you that make selling on eBay a royal pain ********** nowadays.

+100

If you dont want your stuff to smell just wash it or pay 90% over what you would pay on ebay (retail).

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by cpmac7
+100 If you dont want your stuff to smell just wash it or pay 90% over what you would pay on ebay (retail).
Oh, it's more. Not just the smell. the item was described as excellent condition. But there's a lot of pilling (it's a sweater), an initial of god know who inside the collar band.

Swan Song

Reaction score
vintage shell before and after pictures showing a very deep cordovan patina

storm welt, double oak, and a brand stamped in all leather lining I cannot identify.

And I added the last picture to show my secret for reducing those unsightly BIG WAVES on shoes stored for years without trees.They are unbuffed, taking for soles and heels first.

Secret? Add a bit more cream polish all over, especially where the waves are, do not brush, place in 85-100 degree oven overnight with trees. Cool. Very wet rub-down with soft cloth. To add the shine, brush with vigor.

Swan Song

Reaction score
And a nice NOS Wormser Royal Luxury "The Texan" model gentleman cowboy(LBJ) hat to go with my boots when I go to town Saturday nights. Yee, Haw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads