1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Nope, my '67 had the weenie engine - 230 overhead cam inline 6. Looked great and was only $1900 when I bought it, but zero get-up-and-go. They didn't offer the 350 until 68 - before that the 67 had the weenie 230, plus 326 and 400. I like the vent windows on the 67...and yes 68 is when they added the little logo/marker to the side rear (and also moved the front indicators to the corners). Either one is OK by me tho!
    Eleanor is a bit too busy for me - a plain 2005/6 GT would suit me just fine.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Barrel, the EGs haven't arrived yet.

3. TheNeedMachine

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Isn't that more like 38?

5. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

It's been pretty slow for me lately, and I haven't had much time to thrift recently. I ran into another thrifter who said that a lot of donations are heading to the phillipines, so I don't really mind. I did manage to pick up this NWOT/deadstock workshirt, but nothing else of note.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

Sounds like it's 38-40 Long

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thanks! The new Scirocco made an appearance at our annual Scirocco owner's meet in Wilmington, Ohio this past June. Sadly I did not make it out there this year due to our house-purchasing situation. The new Scirocco is certainly a cool car but I'm not a huge fan of VW naming it a Scirocco. Doesn't really share any characteristics to the original models (Mk1 and Mk2). I was hoping they'd use some retro-inspired design like the Challenger, Mustang, etc. They should have at least made it a true fast-back hatch. Oh well...
    Thanks! Jeez man, where have ya been? It's been ages since I've seen you on here!
    +1 on what Jgill79 said. Best of Class, Estate, Carmel and Seven Fold are the lines you're looking for. The Chelsea line has some nice, modern styles too. The main thing is how recent they are. Estate and Seven Fold are pretty desirable in any case and I think they are both reletively new lines (within 10 years old. With Best of Class, use your best judgement. If they are dated (older than say, 10 years) they're close to worthless. If they have an ugly pattern, close to worthless. Wide, close to worthless. Even at standard tie prices ($1-$3), pass. The money adds up over time. If you have some free time, take a stoll through your local Nordstrom, Saks. NM, etc and just study labels. See how the stuff feels. The newer stuff will feel a lot nicer. Just to put visuals in your mind that you can recall when out in the field.

1 person likes this.
  8. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

Think I will have to yes. Although I'm not sure about how to combine it into my (limited) wardrobe. I'm kind of still getting used to my renewed state of sartorial awareness [​IMG]
    Will it somehow go with a navy (with barely noticeable pinstripe) and/or a mid-grey pinstripe suit? I wear mostly solid white or solid light blue dress shirts with the suits.

9. 330CK

330CK Senior member

MOTHERFUCKING GRAIL STATUS SOFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One step closer to having an RL showroom... So stoked gonna go run a marathon.

10 people like this.
  10. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

I think I just got a semi

11. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

The thriftmobile when I first brought her home. She ain't fast, but she can haul.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Croc string tie loafers, brioni, billy Reid, super ancient mind bb 3/2 gold button staple blazer in 38, sick local custom sportcoat with action back elbow patches hand stiching ect
    Pics later

1 person likes this.
  13. TheNeedMachine

I like those semi-low sorta boxy cross-over whatever they are called styles - like yours. I keep eyeballing the Ford Flex with the two-tone paint and sometimes think it looks fantastic and other times like a frumpy station wagon - must be the viewing angles or something. Flex looks like it would haul a lot of stuff, but I sure do like not having a car payment so I keep lookie but no touchie. Maybe I'll get a cash special - older Cherokee, XTerra, Forrester...
    Your Honda will probably last forever - I've got a gal-friend who has a CRV, abuses the hell out of it, forgets to change the oil or maintain it and it runs like a top with 160k+ miles on it.
    What is yours - is that the Element?

14. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Stopped by Savers over lunch and picked this up based on the fact that it's the coolest fucking label I've ever seen on any piece of clothing ever. Any idea what it is? Just a pic of the label for now. It's in a bag in my trunk. Long ass brown coat. Not a typical trench. Made in USA. Google is useless. I can only get pictures of Orlando Magic clothing.

[​IMG]

PS - already planning on cutting my nails when I get home. :|

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  15. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

NICE!! - 1999 Solara....picture when I got it with 90K miles....now it has 180K and every panel is ding and dented. Forgot how good it use to look [​IMG] Still gets me from Point A -> Point B though without a problem.

[​IMG]

As said, that is the current "silver" label which is the lower grade stuff. Usually half canvassed. The better stuff has the same label but is maroon. Still would grab it either way as plenty of people would want it. Quality wise on part with the basic Brooks Brothers suits.

[​IMG][​IMG] LOVED my 1996 9000 Aero - 5 speed, FAST!! Miss that car.

[​IMG] So bad ass.

1 person likes this.
  16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Damn crazy-ass New Jersey drivers!

17. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

Anyone size 9d

In field

[​IMG]

Or 8

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Does this sighting score any points in the car envy posts? Model S's are a dime a dozen around here, but probably not so much for the rest of you...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

1 person likes this.
  20. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

...and Quindici.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.