1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Fuck everyone else if that 46 long has 20ish shoulders and 33ish waist it's mine
    Also bonus thrift fit, very sick and don't mind if I look homeless edition:
    [​IMG]
    Random beanie-me
    Vintage cafe racer-eBay
    Uniqlo hoodie-sale
    Club Monaco t-me
    Lvc jeans-eBay
    Dacks Chelsea's-member
    Also is anyone familiar with polo Ralph Lauren ties where the label is on the blade and not by the keeper also this one is hand made in Italy not the us is this a purple label precursor?

2. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I'm going to try testing my luck now:

Heya, I'm going to stumble upon a 1959 Les Paul for under $50 today.

2 people like this.
  3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Suh-weet! My first car out of high school was a '67 Firebird, but only the OHC 6 engine. If I knew then what I know now about how much they would go for, I would have kept it and tossed a 400 in it for fun. I still prefer the 67 and 68 Firebird to the Camaro of the same years; don't like the 69 Firebird's front nose and Camaro wins it that year (I forgot which year Wes has)...but I'd take the 69 Mach 1 / fastback over either of them.

Current ride:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. littlemaninred

littlemaninred New Member

Been lurking (and thrifting) for about a month. The more crazy ish I see you all picking up, the more time I am spending at the thrift stores; it's becoming a problem (so thanks). I had a better than usual haul yesterday, so I thought I'd post some of it.. (sorry about some of the photos being upside-down in advance)

Black camelhair blazer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pal Zileri suit (NWOT)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zanella x2, Canali, Dries Van Noten (!), Vestimenta
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lubiam Black Cashmere Blazer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two blazers were too nice to pass on, despite slight smoke smell (some loose, larger cut tobacco in one pocket makes me think pipe smoker). Anyone have any tips for de-odorizing?

1 person likes this.
  5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

'68, but I too prefer the Firebird split grill. Soon I will have both.....

6. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

I keep seeing people posting about 46L suits, so I'll throw in my find yesterday. Hickey Freeman 46L, haven't measured the pants yet, I'll get on that. I'm a 37R so I'm open to trades or just selling it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You guys are a bad influence. I'm heading back to grab it now. Signed out of work to run an errand. Fingers crossed it's not moth laden!

1 person likes this.
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That's what she said.

But really, I'm 5 10 and I'm a 38-40.

9. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Nice finds!! :slayer:

10. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Hehe it's an addiction

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

So funny. I was just going to quote the symptoms of addiction:
    "Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission."

12. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

it really is. my gf thinks im NUTS after finding out about this a few weeks ago. i now go 1-2x/week and maybe one weekend day. when i drag her along she's miserable/disgusted.

im finding myself making excuses/lying to say im elsewhere when im really trolling the GW aisles. :/

13. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Nice first post dude! Welcome to the forum. For deodorizing, I've always had good luck with white apple vinegar and a spray bottle. Just get the inside real well and hang it to dry. Outside if you can.

Go for the '61 instead! [​IMG][​IMG]

14. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I kind of love your posts about sneaking off to goodwill behind your girlfriend's back. No idea why, but it makes me laugh.

15. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

Quote:Same story here bro lol. I have specifi trhifts i go to on certain days. Try to go right after work and beat the wife and kids home. I hit the shops nearly every day of the week. The wfie will come around to it once you make a few successful flips. I also try to make a point of looking for nice things for the wife and kids at the thrift shops. Gotten some neat toys for my boys and some nice purses for the wife.

16. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Your 67 had the 350 4 speed in it right? My buddy has a 68 4 speed, and it is fun. My 400 is bored out with a 2500 stall on the trans. Its a beast to drive, but does suck up about a gallon of gas per 6 miles.

As far as the front goes, I as well prefer the split grill. Nothing beats that look. Another reason why the Firebird won my attention was the tail light set up. 68 I believe was the first year for a mandate for side safety markers on vehicles as well, and the Pontiac symbols are fantastic looking. OEM light-up Tachometer on the hood cannot be beat. All in all, it has this rarity to it that adds to the thrill of owning one this far into its heritage.

My cousin has a 67 mustang 302 and his is a pretty clean resto. Fastbacks are hard to squeeze a grin outa me, if I'm goin FORD, I'm going Eleanor 500GT

17. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

The lies have just begun! Here are some common lies you might find helpful:

Where have you been?
    - work lasted a bit longer tonight than I anticipated
    - traffic

When did you get that?
    - i've had this a long time, you don't remember me wearing it before?
    - it's from a trade I did on SF

What's in the package that came today?
    - just a trade from SF
    - a return

How much did that cost?
    - if no customs label = 15% - 50% of cost
    - if customs label from retail, you're screwed; if not customs label is replacement cost; once again 15% to 50% of cost

How many (of that clothing item) do you own?
    - not very many...only about "x" (x=actual/2 +1)

...but just wait until she starts levying the "wife/gf tax". I've had to pay for carpet, furniture, home repairs, car payments, gardening supplies, and landscaping work. The tax payments are quickly forgotten once you are seen with new bags from a thrift. Bribes of thrifted scarves and purses might get you out of trouble, but does not at all get you close to breaking even.

If we only could be as lucky as Spoo or Eazy; they have a Bonnie and Clyde setup going on, killing the thrifting game across the nation.

7 people like this.
  18. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

Quote:I've tried to get my wife in on the game. She lacks the patience. I've taken her thrifting before she gets bored and cranky. Has anyone else noticed a lot more annoying people out thrifting lately? I swear a new rack comes out at Goodwill and I am on it like white on rice and then out of no where some middle aged heavy set lady comes right over tot he same rack stands 5 inches from me and starts tossing elbows snagging all the Sears clothing she can find.

19. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

thanks for the mid-afternoon LULZ guys. i find it is (sort of) negative affecting me too. i used to go to the gym every day after work. now thats cut in half. oh well, its winter time anyway time to pack on the blubber to stay warm!

but yes, typically my excuse is "had to stay late"...wish i could blame traffic but work is only 3 miles from home!

20. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Christmas Shoppin'.

What I really hate is when I'm mid-way through a rack, and some person is about to start on it and pushes all the hangers towards me, effectively making it so I can't go through the rack. Then again I fucking hate rudeness.

Girlfriend shares my enthusiasm, but not my dedication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.