Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Yes, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Brooks GF or Paul Stuart, either. Quality suits in good condition are rare here, though. Sport coats turn up more often. I've yet to see a Kiton at a thrift store (although it wouldn't bother me a bit if I did!). I'm sure Houston has a wider selection as its a much bigger metropolitan area.

I too, have never seen a Kiton in a Thrift store here in Houston. Brioni, Zegna Trofeo, Isaia, many Oxxfords yes, but never a Kiton!

Occasionally, I'll see a Kiton in a consignment store, but they are usually asking $500 to $900! At those prices I'd take my chances on Ebay where a pre-owned Kiton" is usually available for less.

Other than pejsek. I've never known anyone to find a Kiton suit in a Thrift! Have any of you others ever found a Kiton suit in a Thrift?

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

We do have a retailer here who sells Kiton, so there's always hope. Of course, I can't imagine they sell many of them so the odds of one making it to thrift is very slim and the odds of me seeing it at the right time are even slimmer.

If I recall there was someone who posted about finding a couple of Kitons for dirt cheap hanging in a closet at an estate sale one time.

3. summej2

summej2 Senior member

Inga's in DC had a Kiton in 40R last time I was there for a pretty-reasonable $200. Not exactly thrift-store prices, but not bad.

4. horton

horton Senior member

I too, have never seen a Kiton in a Thrift store here in Houston. Brioni, Zegna Trofeo, Isaia, many Oxxfords yes, but never a Kiton!

Occasionally, I'll see a Kiton in a consignment store, but they are usually asking $500 to $900! At those prices I'd take my chances on Ebay where a pre-owned Kiton" is usually available for less.

Other than pejsek. I've never known anyone to find a Kiton suit in a Thrift! Have any of you others ever found a Kiton suit in a Thrift?

When I first started following SF, I bought a 100% cashmere Louis Boston Kiton from a thrift store via EBay. It was listed as Ciro Paone and at the time I was thinking it must be some lesser line of Kiton. Subsequently, SFers informed me otherwise. It ended up being a great piece -- a little funky -- with no sleeve buttons. I talked to one of the LB sales people about it and he told me LB used to sell it a few years back -- meant for more casual wear, e.g., with jeans. I did the BIN for $100 but it was listed for auction starting at $50. I would be shocked if it were ever worn given its condition which was pristine. When I bought it the pictures kind of sucked, and I couldn't tell its condition all that well or just how beautiful the fabric was. Ended up being my luckiest purchase.

5. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Not sure if I went overboard, but just picked up what I believe are 3 pair of used Johnston & Murphy handmades. Pretty good prices on the brown and black wingtips, and went higher for the spade or shovel sole black wingtips. They have wear on the soles, but the uppers appear to be in very good condition. . . I'll know for sure when I get them. Assuming they are in fact $1000 handmades, then $130 for 3 used pairs is pretty good. I actually already have a pair, they are fantastic, but I'm always reluctant to wear them, they just look so nice [​IMG]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=006

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

Like new Kiton 100% cashmere sport coat. Patterned gray, working buttonholes, 3-button, double vents.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

PhiloVance and VMan win co-winners of the day! [​IMG]

8. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Folio 100% cashmere v-neck, $6.
    Zegna cotton/polyester sweater, $6 (going to flip it on ebay)

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

"Fashion for Men for Saks Fifth Avenue" SB peak lapel tuxedo, fully canvassed, unknown vintage but nearly perfect condition, jacket fits me like a glove. Just needs the rear vent (?!) sewn up and cuffs maybe down a bit, no big deal. Pants need basic stuff, also no big deal. A little over my usual limit for myself: $25.

[​IMG]
    [image uglified to show detail]

Looks a bit short in the pic, but it's not really, it's my ape-arms and jeans doing that. I think I need to hem those. The jeans.

Same day, different place, a self-tie bowtie in ribbed black silk. Unusual shape, not really narrow, and the ends don't narrow at any part and come to a point. Very nice. $2 Nevermind, I'll just post a pic. Is there a name for this shape?

[​IMG]

10. gqreader239

gqreader239 Senior member

http://leatherjacketsandjeans.blogspot.com/

11. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    I took you guys up on this, I found this ralph lauren wool vest, I never heard of the made in great britian label, but the buttons are mother of pearl (the real mother of pearl) I got it half price of $4.59 it fits great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

I took you guys up on this, I found this ralph lauren wool vest, I never heard of the made in great britian label, but the buttons are mother of pearl (the real mother of pearl) I got it half price of $4.59 it fits great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is the label purple, with 'Ralph Lauren' in silver script?

14. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    Is the label purple, with 'Ralph Lauren' in silver script?

yes it is, the wool is so soft and smooth, I just cant get over the buttons.

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

yes it is, the wool is so soft and smooth, I just cant get over the buttons.

Good work. Purple Label is Ralph Lauren's top line, and comes with a stellar retail price. You probably saved yourself a clean $395 off retail with your thrift find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.