1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

2. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Senior member

Jfk was wearing a Christian Dior Monsieur tie when assassinated.

2 people like this.
  3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If anyone wears an 11C and is interested in a pair of shell cordovan loafers, find Ebay item #121221765180. I do not know the seller. They're in fair condition, but appear fixable.

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

OK, HERE GOES: RULES/INSTRUCTIONS/CATEGORIES FOR THE THRIFTIES AWARDS!!!!

These rules will become final at 9 a.m. Central Time on Monday, Nov. 25, when they will be re-posted and nominating will commence. Until then, anyone who has suggestions for improvements get in touch and we can tweak it.

The categories are...

FIND OF THE YEAR, CLOTHING: This speaks for itself. Clothing includes anything that can be worn on the body, so jewelry and watches are fair game. Please, if you can, specify the date that the item was posted.

FIND OF THE YEAR, NON-CLOTHING: This is everything else--bicycles, records, electronic equipment, Ferraris, hookers, etc. Please specify, if you can, the date the item was posted.

HAUL OF THE YEAR: The best single-day haul. It can be a combination of clothing and non-clothing items. Please specify, if you can, the date the haul was posted.

THRIFTER OF THE YEAR: The criteria here is loose. It could be the thrifter who you think had the best stuff over the course of the year, or the most consistent finds or who had the best posts or who was the most helpful to fellow thrifters. It would be nice if nominations would include a short statement as to the reasons why the honor is deserved.

You are free to nominate yourself for any and all categories, and, in fact, that is encouraged, since you probably know as well, if not better, than anyone when you hit it out of the park.

The schedule: Nominations will be accepted until midnight, Central Time, on Dec. 6. A midway report on who has been nominated in each category will be posted on Nov. 30. A list of nominees in each category will be posted on Dec. 7, when voting will begin. Voting closes at midnight on Christmas Eve (that's Dec. 24). Winners and runners-up will be posted on Jan. 1 or Jan. 2, depending on the severity of my hangover.

The prizes: Please be on the look-out for cheap-ass bowling, softball, golf, track-and-field, etc. trophies as you make your rounds, the stranger, the better. We will need four. Send photos of trophies to me ASAP and I'll tell you whether to pull the trigger or not--unlike what we usually seek, I imagine this sort of thing will be there when you go back, or you can just go ahead and spend the buck or two these things usually cost, and don't get all snitty if it turns out we don't need it. Every trophy but Thrifter of the Year should be, relatively, small--I'm thinking a foot or so in height. Thrifter of the Year should be big and gaudy as fuck--the Stanley Cup, Vince Lombardi, Larry O'Brien and Commissioner's all rolled into one, and hopefully made of plastic with lots of fake wood grain and phony diamonds. I will have them appropriately re-purposed and sent to the winners. Or we could do something else entirely if someone has a better idea.

I don't know whether folks should nominate/cast votes via PM or through email--I could set up an email account if that would be the best way. Advice on this point would be welcome.

And that's it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    3 people like this.
  5. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Don't know who it is...but they are a forum member as I remember the horween stamp location from a photo here, pretty sure :)

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

..[/QUOTE]

Everything looks right except that interior label, which could be too new (like this year) that I havent handled or seen yet. Never saw Chinese on the other tag either. Could just be updates.

What are we doing then with my find of the year thread? That covers clothing and non clothing and has been going since October. Maybe just move these categories and voting in that thread? I can edit a poll into the OP when need be.

4 people like this.
  7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

What about Rookie of the year (first thrift thread post had to be in 2013)?

2 people like this.
  8. Zacharrrr

Zacharrrr Well-Known Member

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

SECOND ANUAL THRIFT THREADS GIFT EXCHANGE, is packaged and ready to ship!

Glad this is over with...now time to go fill the closets.

1 person likes this.
  10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Everything looks right except that interior label, which could be too new (like this year) that I havent handled or seen yet. Never saw Chinese on the other tag either. Could just be updates.
    What are we doing then with my find of the year thread? That covers clothing and non clothing and has been going since October. Maybe just move these categories and voting in that thread? I can edit a poll into the OP when need be.[/quote]

Yes, absolutely, that thread will make for a great start, and merging the two is a great idea. Your offer of help and any others are kindly accepted. I also think that adding Rookie of the Year is a good idea.

11. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

I mean do we really have to have this category or can we just give DM7 a trophy every year to save time. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  12. DanM

DanM Senior member

Just to clarify, every post from #58906 to #85799 and counting is eligible. That's 26,893 posts so far this year, or 31% of the entire volume of this thread, which was started in March of 2005. It's been a busy year with tons of activity, good luck all contestants!

Also, noobs - even reading the last year's worth of the thread will impart a ridiculous amount of knowledge. Just sayin'

13. catside

catside Senior member

I second Rookie if the Year idea but as well as a most developed rookie award for rookies of 2012.

2 people like this.
  14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Except I think Nataku takes the trophy this year [​IMG]

Might be cool to make the awards even more granular: best tie haul, best shoes, most unusual find (non-clothing), best thrift fit, etc. Though maybe that gets to be too much work.

15. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

strictly thrift or discount finds?

16. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I think thrift finds deserve more weight—finding a bunch of Yohji and Commes des Garcons in a true thrift store is a lot more impressive than finding it in a consignment or discount store. But everything should be considered.

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

18. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

900 and was actually thrifted

4 people like this.
  19. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

@eddievddr10 What happened to all those Brooks suits? Did you move them already?

20. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I vote strictly thrifts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.