The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

#949 All weather walkers....They are a bit clunky compared to my other Aldens, because they have the plantation crepe sole, but they are very comfy.

Nice find! Would love to see pics of these...

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I just saw one in great shape with the magnifier. I didn't buy it for three reasons. It was priced pretty high. I have one without the slipcover and magnifier already. And most importantly, hasn't the internet made dictionaries and encyclopedias obsolete?

Yours is nice though.

Chad

Well, I wouldn't have bought it had it been expensive. And I agree in general about the internet versus dictionaries and encyclopedias. However, I think the OED is different than any other reference work, plus to gain access to the OED online you have to subscribe. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have this around for the price.

3. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Aquascutum 2 - Kinda grayish herringbone with a yellow blue and green windpane wool/silk/cashmere $7.00
    [​IMG]

Nice finds, but this one is awful. Just look at the gorge on that puppy, you might just see your belt with the top button done.

5. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Nice finds, but this one is awful. Just look at the gorge on that puppy, you might just see your belt with the top button done.

Huh? The gorge doesn't look particularly low. The angle kind of makes the button stance look low, but it looks like he's got the bottom of the jacket hanging off the end of the bed or something. Probably not that bad IRL.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I think it's just the camera angle and the way he has it laid out.

7. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Two finds today;

First was a handmade Scottish cashmere intarsia jumper - photo to follow, but a lovely vintage piece. The store had a fair quantity of nice cashmere at reasonable prices, my wife was with me and scored two cardigans - one Brora, one LK Bennett. As I was leaving I spotted a box of pocket squares, including some nice hand-rolled silk ones, so another visit is in order.

The second was a little more mundane - a nice T M Lewin woven silk tie, navy blue with red dots. They had an Etro cashmere tweed tie, but it was a bit 'out there' for my tastes.

8. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

I think your making a common mistake. The gorge is not the V created by the lapels as they taper in to the top button. It is the positioning of the notches in the lapels. High gorges have the notches nearer the neckline, low gorge has them further down and often angled down as well.

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Found a RLPL "Made in England" (Chester Barrie) cotton/cashmere houndstooth jacket in a local consignment shop for a decent price. It's a bit snug on me, so it'll probably show up in the B&S forum soon.

10. GentlemanGeorge

GentlemanGeorge Active Member

Got a pair of nearly new Russell Moccasin Company Birdshooters for $2.50 the other day.
    [​IMG]
    And a near perfect L. L. Bean goatskin jacket With all wool trim for $15.
    [​IMG]
    And a plain weave Scully wool sportcoat with genuine lizard trim and horn buttons for $5.
    [​IMG]
    Kandahar Monacos for $3.99.
    [​IMG]
    PRL penny loafers: $3.99.
    [​IMG]
    Bespoke Henry Maxwell Co. captoe oxfords: $3.99.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also got a nice, trim-fitting, elegant English style herringbone 3 piece country or riding suit with a collar tab and suede reinforced vent trim and buttonholes. Pics later, it needs an inch off here and there for me.

More later.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Damn - nice finds! What city are you in? Must be a nice area to find bespoke Savile Row shoes!

12. Georgia

Georgia Senior member

Got a pair of nearly new Russell Moccasin Company Birdshooters for $2.50 the other day.
    [​IMG]

Very well done - those are great.

13. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Here it is on Alden's site:

http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=59

Here is my shoe:

[​IMG]

Great find! Probably my biggest thrifting regret so far was passing on a pair just like those in brown because they were $39.99 but scheduled to be marked down by 50% in a few days. I went back early on the sale day and they were gone: obviously one of us who wasn't such a damn tightwad saw them and knew not to be so greedy. Lesson learned...

Good weekend:
    Very recent, narrow lapel, wool & cashmere Armani black label sportcoat - $9.98 (at a place that's usually too expensive: the Hilfiger next to it was $34.99)
    Norman Hilton fully-canvassed Castlereagh featherweight Shetland wool sportcoat - $7.99
    2 Hickey Freeman made in Italy sportshirts - $5.99 each
    2 Polo sport shirts - $4.99 each
    Brooks Brothers sportshirt - $1.99
    A Polo tie and pocket square - $1.59, $2.50
    AE Fairfax wholecuts in black - $7.99 (I love being one of the only guys left who still likes black shoes)

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It's been pretty slow lately. Found a couple nice Canali Sportswear casual shirts today at the local Goodwill. On a more disapointing note - I got burned by long-time thrifter Pejsek in a thrift trade. It's pushing 1 month since I've been able to establish contact with him. Sad - as he seemed like a very upstanding, responsible and morale individual. [​IMG] More info here: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2140

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.