• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Quote: ya'll better stop doing this because my auctions are ending in two days and right now my isaia shirt is at like 11 bucks and my cashmere lubiam is around there as well. BID FRIENDS BID

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I vote we stick to clothes today forever.

FTFY

kent wang ls polo from ebay came today but I had to pay more than I wanted because the inside track blew up my spot regarless it is the coolest ls polo ever

Is this English?

Nothing thread-worthy today, but stuff for me: The Regency (thx for the assists, tben and Fue), Incoex choc flannels, and beige flannel flat fronts -- on the want list for moooonths. Good day. Oh, and a pair of Barker Custom Grade penny loafers Quality is high, but never heard of them. Will do my own research, but anyone care to :teach:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kent wang ls polo from ebay came today but I had to pay more than I wanted because the inside track blew up my spot regarless it is the coolest ls polo ever

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is freak'n sweet! $400/month is just facking heaven! I'm planning on buying my first single family this year. Freak'n 1,300 sqft. houses down here cost around half a mill...
ffffuuuu.gif

+1 There will be hell to pay if those fat cats do!
censored.gif

That is a clean face! Would love a watch that looks like that. Also, your spot looks to be a consignment?

nope, it's like a shop that DM7 would open, thrifted and re-sold. above thrift prices but still worth the money. I go to large thrifts once a week, but like to look in the "boutiques" for the key items. that place is FULL of PRL blackwatch pants, tweed......... coach satchels, etc. -Nice ****. and the watch is one of many found, got the cleanest one. now planning to collect vintage SEIKO's. and proxy doubles.

JL3212

Reaction score
A couple of recent finds. Available where indicated.

Florsheims for me. Are these worth picking up? Apparently still made in U.S., but heel is not nailed down, nor is the inside all leather.

PRL silk/wool/cotton.

Faconnable. Large. Available.

Orvis Tweed Cap. XL, which apparently means 7⅝-7¾. Available, since my wife says "it sucks," and I'm not going to fight her on this one.

Brooks Brothers Dress pants.

Gray Southwick SC. 3-roll-2. Untagged but I think about 38S. Available.

Chest - 20.5
Waist - 21
Shoulder - 17.5
Length - 29
Sleeves - 21 (looks about 1.5 can be let out)

Bills Khakis and BB tie.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Florsheims for me. Are these worth picking up?

Depends. The Imperials used to be a fantastic shoe. If they're heavier than lead weights, they're the vintage kind and quite good. There are other tells, but shoes aren't my thing. The Imperial name used in more modern shoes, but at much lesser quality.

And even things that may not be brag worthy here can be perfectly acceptable for personal use. So if you like them, they fit and look good, rock them like Nikki Sixx.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, was everybody ********** for the past two days? The last 20 pages were painful to read. Anyway, I went to the Rack today, sooooooooooooo much good ****, although none of the stuff I wanted was in my size. Almost pulled the trigger on a Thom Browne (not black fleece) peacoat. $1670 marked down to $230, but it was a little bit too big. Also a super kick ass HF plaid sport coat in a 40 that I was going to try and have sized down. My better judgement kicked in and I left it. In other news, I got paid today, the wife is out of town and I have tomorrow off. All day thrift marathon, 9 to 9, NO FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! :slayer: :D :nodding:

JL3212

Reaction score
Depends. The Imperials used to be a fantastic shoe. If they're heavier than lead weights, they're the vintage kind and quite good. There are other tells, but shoes aren't my thing. The Imperial name used in more modern shoes, but at much lesser quality.

And even things that may not be brag worthy here can be perfectly acceptable for personal use. So if you like them, they fit and look good, rock them like Nikki Sixx.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I'm just a noob learning the ropes, so I appreciate it. They are also on the lighter side, unfortunately.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, was everybody ********** for the past two days? The last 20 pages were painful to read. Anyway, I went to the Rack today, sooooooooooooo much good ****, although none of the stuff I wanted was in my size. Almost pulled the trigger on a Thom Browne (not black fleece) peacoat. $1670 marked down to $230, but it was a little bit too big. Also a super kick ass HF plaid sport coat in a 40 that I was going to try and have sized down. My better judgement kicked in and I left it. In other news, I got paid today, the wife is out of town and I have tomorrow off. All day thrift marathon, 9 to 9, NO FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
biggrin.gif
nod[1].gif
Good luck...and remember....Don't stop for anything!
http://funnyasduck.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/funny-****-happens-pictures.jpg

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score

FTFY
Is this English?

Nothing thread-worthy today, but stuff for me: The Regency (thx for the assists, tben and Fue), Incoex choc flannels, and beige flannel flat fronts -- on the want list for moooonths. Good day. Oh, and a pair of Barker Custom Grade penny loafers Quality is high, but never heard of them. Will do my own research, but anyone care to :teach:

PM sent regarding the Barkers.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at the Rack here today...saw a Billy Reid shirt in my size in clearance for $55.00....the wife said no. They also had a **** load of Armani suits. Also stopped at the TJ Maxx....they are now featuring the "Mens Runway" at this location. Can't wait for the markdowns.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Jesus Christ, was everybody ********** for the past two days? The last 20 pages were painful to read.

No man, we just missed you. We need the E to regulate.

Florsheims for me. Are these worth picking up? Apparently still made in U.S., but heel is not nailed down, nor is the inside all leather.

So, these are the in between super awesome vintage and SF-despised International Meh Florsheims. As far as I can tell.

If you're like me, you'll find these will look good, feel good, and you can wear 'em when it's damp out or other hard service when you'd rather preserve your better finds (i.e. when you're out with pals who'll spill beer on them). I even have some recent International Meh Florsheims, Topy'd, for all-day trade show tromping where I routinely log 12,000+ steps on the Fitbit. Won't run into judgmental SF'ers there, and I'm still out-dressing all but the richest doctors and CEO's in the room. Just my 2 cents, go for it

Still sick as a dog. Wife, though, is worse off, on antibiotics and bed rest. Grabbed the kids off the bus after school and whisked them on an hour-each-way thrift trip (they got to find some books and toys while I ripped the racks, and at the end, a favorite diner of theirs, to them a huge reward) to give her some damn quiet.

This honey hole yielded Paul Stuart suits and some other nice things I'm too damned tired to shoot and post, so unicorn me if you want, ha! BUT my fave find of the night was a pair of pebblegrain nettleton's wing tippahs...they looked so harsh and nasty but I knew there was a fine pair of shoes underneath:

While I will never be experienced or talented at shoe reclamation as the pro dealers like Wes or passionate as some of the shoe fetishists on SF whose posts I love reading and learn new things every time I read them...I was happy with the results after cleaning with elbow grease, Lexol'ing, putting the heel back together with awl and tack hammer, removing odor eaters, Meltonian polish, new waxed black laces, and applying that damn vile edge ink crap that eats your lungs worse than Marlboro Reds...and this is how they turned out:

I wish I could shoot pictures as well as Wes. The transformation was more dramatic in person, but you can see at least some of it. Also, won't hide my love affair anymore: Nettleton's are becoming my fave vintage shoe; I have found two pairs now in 9C -- these included -- and they are the perfect fit for me (how often do you see 9Cs?)

Last edited:

charzord

Reaction score
Cool finds! Love the Pink Panther tie! It'd be interesting to hear about what thrift stores in Hong Kong are like. Care to share with us? Prices? Are the shops pretty small? What was the junk to good stuff ratio?

I've only found Salvation Army here. Stores are relatively small, but stuff is top notch. Most stuff is new and from store closeouts. They have sections with new stuff and sections of old stuff. Pricing is set by a central office, so things are priced relatively reasonably.

Best thing here are the books. So many good books for $3USD each. Clothing can sometimes be pricy (i.e. United Colors of Benetton jeans for $20), but then again, the stuff is new!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA...

I mentioned to a few people in PMs, but my wife and I are planning a late spring/early summer holiday in (hopefully) Naples. As it's a sartorial paradise, I'm going to try to hit the big spots to shop. I am also going to head to the outlets that are around the city. While nothing is definite (my wife wants a cheaper holiday destination), I'm happy to do some proxies. It certainly won't be thrift prices, but it will be the type of thing you can't get at home, I assume. Anyway, I'll get more details as I plan, but I'd be happy to pick up anything anyone wanted to send your way. No proxy fees, just cost + shipping from Austria. I'd assume someone here would want some cool pocket squares or ties. Obviously no lurkers and if a number of people are interested, I'd probably just ask that they PayPal some money that they want spent. PM me if you have any interest! These places have some awesome stuff at decent prices!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

thrift thread exchange rate. all finds in this thread are worth 2x - 10x what they're worth on ebay.
I was referring to his entire haul. $300 for that TnA suit. $60 for the RG, a piece. $200 for that Corn. SC. $660. Ok, maybe $800 was off but it isn't impossible.
Hit one store at lunch:

PRL Made in US tweed. Tagged 42. Pockets still basted. Available

That is beautiful, man!
Some stuff from the past week or so.

BB tweed (single vent, tagged 41 R) Available
Man, Kevin Smith should make a sequel to this. We'll throw money at him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads