1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Wait, I thought Old Navy was top tier?

2. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Sometimes shit you'd never dream of wearing still awes. Damn.

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Amen, @Brianpore .

Amazing stuff, @330CK .

1 person likes this.
  4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Any chance you can hook me up with that literature on the basics, quite difficult to get started with the cluster of already popular threads . I'll stick to the brags and less with the questions(besides this one)

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I legit don't get it. You guys are more snobbish at times than the bloody guys in the WAYWRN CM thread.

I know most of my shit. I've seen cord blazers popularized in prices. I know old navy sucks hence the '(uhh)' and I was wondering what the 'bragging' brands were for cord blazers since not everone does them. It's not a big deal.

I've found enough good stuff for myself to be happy. I'm also trying to hook a few other people up. How can you be so uppity about this stuff. If it's not something you care to answer, then ignore it. I've searched for threads on the PRL stuff so I know what I should look for.

It's not that big of a deal, but it always amazes me how protective and stuck up bottom feeders can be. Really.

1 person likes this.
  8. ridethecliche

Wait, you have room to talk after your inane blow up on the AE thread regarding your lack of knowledge of AE brands and what comprises seconds? Really? You had NO FUCKING CLUE what you had and someone helped you out and told you that your find might be seconds and you FLIPPED THE FUCK OUT. How's that high and mighty shit working out for you?

No, really?

Irony at its finest. The guy who had no idea what he'd bought criticizing someone else for not knowing something.

*Cue slow clap*

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

:sleeping:

Edit: who am I criticizing here? Consider yourself blocked.

2nd edit: the AE question was at least posted in the proper thread for it.

10. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Listening to dudes argue in the thrift/discount store bragging thread on a Friday night.

I have wasted my life.

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  11. ridethecliche

And yet fueco went to another thread for his own handholding and flipped out on someone who helped him out.

Well done.

It comes around doesn't it.

12. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Quite honestly you don't know your stuff if you compare your finds/brags to some of the other things. While BB and such are great for personal use and some may flip well, they're commonplace. I understand where you come from I used to be the exact same way getting excited about a Brooks Brother blazer or some such. But after a while you'll develop a sense of whats actually worth something.

I had a rough time getting started here too, but eventually I learned. People weren't quite as mean to me, though.

1 person likes this.
  13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

3rd edit, my shoes are NOT seconds, and that had nothing to do with my question. At least I had the gonads to apologize publicly to the dude.

14. ridethecliche

Honestly, I can take a shit ton of criticism. Look at my awful fit posts on the CM WAYWRN thread and look at the responses. I took them all in stride because they were constructive.

I learned to race bicycles in college and mentored a few fellow students. I posted on a site where newbs would show up all the time going over the same shit about wheels, bikes, tires, tire pressure, etc all the damn time. At the end of the day, we all realized that snapping at some idiot kid would just piss them off away from the sport so we helped them out and directed them to the right threads etc etc.

It just feels like this thread is way more about the flippers that are trying to turn a buck at the expense of helping out someone who knows shit than actually helping someone out. The tables turn when a few bucks are on the line apparently. It shows.

I play this game because I don't have the money to dress how I want to. Screw me for trying to ask a question and trying to get the best bang for my buck.

Jeez, that RTC noob asshole. Trying to get an answer to a question that has been asked before. His bloody nerve. What a wanker.

2 people like this.
  15. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

now we're getting somewhere

1 person likes this.
  16. ridethecliche

And therein is the reason I didn't pick up any of the BB stuff I bumped into.

I was more curious in general about the fashion trend of cord blazers and then wondering if the PINK shirts and canali pants were worth something. The same people that were freaking out at me were the same people I would have sent those items to for a few bucks more than I paid just because I'm not in it for the money. This is a hobby for me. If I can fund what I buy at GW for myself, then I'm happy. The life track I'm on leaves little time for setting up a business for flipping. Thrifting is how I clear my head and try to forget some of the crazy shit I see day to day at the hospital.

None of the 'meanness' is going to turn me off of this, but I just don't understand where it's coming from. I haven't insulted anyone on here. I've probably asked a couple of stupid questions, but I've read tons of other stuff.

Hilariously enough, I'm not a fan of BB because their shirts fit me like a friggin sale. Like WTF is that about!

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Quote:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Oh, and I fucking love cord blazers. I make a joke and get whined at....

1 person likes this.
  19. ridethecliche

I do too, which is why I was trying to figure out who actually makes a reasonable one. Mostly because I want one for me and I want to keep an eye out.

And sorry if you meant that as a joke. Given your other comments lately, it was tinged with negativity in my eyes. It wasn't all that funny anyway.

20. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Man, mercury must be in retrograde or something with all this fighting.

Random several-drinks-into-the-night thought: So we all run into at least 1 (read: 15) London Fog coats when we hit up any given thrift store, right? Were they just THAT popular at one point or are they secretly the most sturdy coats ever made if there are that many around today and should I start buying them all and then making all of my clothes out of them? They're the cockroaches of thrift stores. They'll be around long after all of us. Respect, London Fog. Respect.

8 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.