1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I'm not trying to swoop in on anyone's territory, but I'm wondering whether we are talking about Goodwill and Salvation Army stores or more local vintage shops.

Yes.

2. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

have you tried this site thethriftshopper.com

Now we're both going to have an opportunity to become jealous and watch others "try their luck on eBay": you just announced to every amateur flipper in DFW, "come and get it". [​IMG]

Still, a couple of really good ones aren't on that site...

3. que

que Active Member

im sure that site and others hve been thar

4. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

im sure that site and others hve been thar

I'm sure the pro's have but they also tend to be more surgical. It's the amateur strip-miners that hurt us the most. You shall see, my young padawan...

5. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Senior member

Well, a PM woulda' been fine too. I wouldn't want to make the old-timers angry that secrets were being revealed. But I really appreciate this source. Thanks que

6. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Had a good day today! Half price sale at Value Village. Found a really nice charcoal pinstripe Burberry jacket but not pants. It was fully canvassed and a beauty and I was frustrated that it was an orphan. Having read about people finding the pants in other parts of the store I decided to take a shot. Found them IMMEDIATELY....could not believe it. So I bought the suit for $3.50. Not a Kiton or Brioni but a nice suit I think.

Then found a very nice newer Hickey Freeman Collection lighter blue windowpane/plaid blazer....$5

Lastly the coolest was a light gray glen plaid suit by Oxxford, a little oder but a beauty and it fits! $10. I am very happy today. Need to alter the pants on both suits but less than $50 for a Burberry and Oxxford is a good day! Luckily the Hickey needs no altering and all 3 jackets fit perfectly.

7. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Found a Lora Piana shirt today and an Ike Behar in 15 1/2 X 35. The Piana says 39, but lines up exactly with the Ike. Anyone here want them? The Piana is perfect and very soft, the Behar must be soaked in the special stain solution, but is structurally fine. Also found an older large size Burberrys Prorsum blazer. It does have some dry cleaners sheen. Is there any way to get this out? I found this web site about how to get the seen out, but am curious if it actually works: http://www.ehow.com/how_5780134_remo...ess-pants.html Also saw some Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and an Equilibrio shirt in the above size. Not sure if they were the expensive models, though.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^^ interested in the LP. PM sent.

9. exchange239

exchange239 Well-Known Member

have you tried this site thethriftshopper.com

I've tried scouring the site but there are too many to sif through and find.

Anyone have any positive experience with any of the thrift stores in NYC with suits/shirts? I'd like to sell/donate some of mine, but would rather do so to a reputable one that deals specifically with suits/shirts/business wear.

10. ekin

ekin New Member

Hello thrifters,

Not too long ago, i picked up a versace classic v2 sport coat for a few bucks. I know... it's probably not the most popular brand here. My problem is I'm having the hardest time figuring out whether it's a mens or womens jacket. It fits perfectly though. I've attached a photo. Can someone help me out?

Thank you!
    [​IMG]

11. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

Just found my first Italian dress shirt. Never heard of the label "Ceccarelli & Ottanelli" but looks nice and fits.
    [​IMG]

12. BBC

BBC Senior member

Hello thrifters,

Not too long ago, i picked up a versace classic v2 sport coat for a few bucks. I know... it's probably not the most popular brand here. My problem is I'm having the hardest time figuring out whether it's a mens or womens jacket. It fits perfectly though. I've attached a photo. Can someone help me out?

Thank you!

I'll presume you're being serious about not knowing -- men's sport coats/shirts/everything have their buttons on the right hand side when you're wearing the jacket.

13. ekin

ekin New Member

I'll presume you're being serious about not knowing -- men's sport coats/shirts/everything have their buttons on the right hand side when you're wearing the jacket.

I guess what threw me off was that it was a size 46. I normally wear a size 40, but this jacket fit me perfect. The buttons look huge, almost similar to a women's jacket. Although, the buttons are on the right hand side so I guess they are mens! Forgive me for my lack of knowledge in coats. Thanks again...

14. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

went today.

Got a Vintage gitman brothers for nordstrom Shirt, in my size.

Quick question the button on the cuff (the one that is mid arm) is broken in half. the shirt didn't come with any extra buttons. Would it be asking alot of a tailor to replace this button in the same style?

15. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Senior member

Recently picked up a really nice blazer that was originally from Mr. Sid that fits me great. Its like a fuzzy wool, solid dark grey, fully canvassed, 2 button. Gets mistaken for a Hickey Freeman quite often. Also picked up an AWESOME brownish Double Breasted glen plaid sportcoat thats a pinch tight at the waist, but I can still totally wear it. It pulls VERY little. Lets see...what else: a crisp white RL OCBD, a RL casual greenish gingham also with a button down collar, and an Ermenegildo Zegna "Soft" tie thats wide and awesome. Also a sweet Wall-Streetish gold tie from Barney's. I also found 5 (count'em 5) dress shirts in great condition all in a row: Zegna, Zegna, Borelli, Armani, Isaia. Each in a 15 1/2-32. I'm a 17-34. [​IMG] Still no shoe finds. [​IMG]

16. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Photos to follow, but I picked up a lovely 1969 Dege bespoke suit in a vintage store today - 13/4oz grey pinstripe, single breasted with fishtail back trousers. More impressive is the fact it fits! (I'm 6ft 3in, 38in chest)

17. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

Recently picked up a really nice blazer that was originally from Mr. Sid that fits me great. Its like a fuzzy wool, solid dark grey, fully canvassed, 2 button. Gets mistaken for a Hickey Freeman quite often.

Also picked up an AWESOME brownish Double Breasted glen plaid sportcoat thats a pinch tight at the waist, but I can still totally wear it. It pulls VERY little.

Lets see...what else: a crisp white RL OCBD, a RL casual greenish gingham also with a button down collar, and an Ermenegildo Zegna "Soft" tie thats wide and awesome. Also a sweet Wall-Streetish gold tie from Barney's.

I also found 5 (count'em 5) dress shirts in great condition all in a row: Zegna, Zegna, Borelli, Armani, Isaia. Each in a 15 1/2-32.

I'm a 17-34. [​IMG]

Still no shoe finds. [​IMG]

borelli,high end brand?

i see alot and pass on them

18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Borrelli is definitely up there with Finamore, Barba, Kiton, etc. They have a good amount of handwork in them. They're a favorite of mine but I rarely come across any and even second hand they can be a bit pricey (for me anyway).

Label will look similar to this.

[​IMG][/url]

19. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

Borrelli is definitely up there with Finamore, Barba, Kiton, etc. They have a good amount of handwork in them. They're a favorite of mine but I rarely come across any and even second hand they can be a bit pricey (for me anyway).

Label will look similar to this.

[​IMG][/url]

yup, thats the one, Sometimes it doesn't have the Napoli underlining. does that sound right?
    almost always Fucked up beyond repair though, so yeah :S

if you want i can stat getting clean ones in your size, you said 17 1/2?

20. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Yep, Borrelli exclusive for dept. stores like NM, Bergdorf Goodman, etc sometimes leaves out "Napoli" on the label, such as this one: [​IMG] Please do keep me in mind if you find any Borrelli in 16.5-17". I can deal with light stains, just not fabric flaws (fraying, holes, etc). Thanks! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.