• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone help me with this?? I looked up the rn and it said the maker was moncler USA formerly know as overseas trading services.

Its a shirt, buttery soft corduroy with MOPs.

coast / weber / ahaus

italian brand, nice stuff, basically zero resale value sadly

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More on topic:
This is different than Donegal tweed correct? Any ideas on quality? Seemed good enough for $5 cuz all I need are the arms dropped.
Nope, it is donegal tweed. Magee is the maker.

GM-H

Reaction score
coast / weber / ahaus

italian brand, nice stuff, basically zero resale value sadly
Thanks for the info dude. I got it for my self, so i dont really care about resale.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

forbid? Are you fond of herding cats?
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
Hey! :angry: Easy on the cat bashing!
Couldn't resist.....
LL
You should send that pic to the thrift pic judging site! Wait, never mind. It's too good for 'em. Meanwhile, I was in Value Village today and realized that a rather well dressed and attractive gilf was watching me shop (women's pants for SWMBO) and when I looked up and made eye contact, she smiled quite broadly. I smiled back and kept flipping through the pants.
Can't have fit pics without Reese.
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Anyone here wear size 14D? I don't, so they are available! Send me a PM is you are intereseted. I'd rate them about a 6 or 7 out of 10.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

please reconcile the above statement with:
a) the pictures that Horses_Ass posted above, and
b) the existence of the internet, fka arpanet

well considering that most of those pictures look to be from mainland china, i am confused as to how they have any relation to the proper definition of a "free market". considering that the fundamental building blocks of a free market are private property rights and contract law, it's incredibly disingenuous to try and masquerade a top down corporatist bribe driven economy such as the chinese one as "free market" in any true sense of the term...

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well considering that most of those pictures look to be from mainland china, i am confused as to how they have any relation to the proper definition of a "free market". considering that the fundamental building blocks of a free market are private property rights and contract law, it's incredibly disingenuous to try and masquerade a top down corporatist bribe driven economy such as the chinese one as "free market" in any true sense of the term...

Clearly, you don't get it. Allusions to China in the context of the so-called free market are apt, not because of China's political and economic innerworkings (e.g. how industry works within the country) but, instead, in relation how the country positions its domestic production relative to the rest of world. This is where the notion that the free market, somehow, has the ability to self-legislate comes apart. If costs are indeed the driver of self-correction (and lets not kid ourselves, they are), there's no viable mechanism to protect dramatic economic inequities (and all the problematic things that accompany them, like complete climate destruction) that emerge on a global level. People who run countries like China have no interest in allowing development - they capitalize on our naive belief that markets fix things without allowing things to actually be fixed (e.g. labor, ecological practice, political culture, whatever) for obvious and self-serving reasons. I'm not arguing for what you call a "planned economy," just pointing out that this continued ideological reverence for the free-market's seemingly magical (and wholly unobservable, I might add) power to create systems of stability and growth skirts the fact that people working collectively, not markets, fix things. Capitalism exists by necessity and it's a fine enough system provided we break away from the black & white narrative that it needs to exist without limitation.

Last edited:

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HAHA yes I did!

I read "Hang in there Paul" but couldn't make out the script below it.

I am hoping Paul made it out okay and decided to just donate his Fins tie.

The script below is Garo Yepremian's autograph. He went into the tie business when he left football.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sounds to me like what you're saying is "free markets lead to human progress, such as the ipad. but chinese corporate statism leads to environmental degradation and human rights abuses, like in the case of the factories that make the ipad."

also: can you please point us to an example of something/someplace that meets your "proper definition of a 'free market'" so that we can analyze whether or not said "free market" has led to human progress?

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clearly, you don't get it. Allusions to China in the context of the so-called free market are apt, not because of China's political and economic innerworkings (e.g. how industry works within the country) but, instead, in relation how the country positions its domestic production relative to the rest of world. This is where the notion that the free market, somehow, has the ability to self-legislate comes apart. If costs are indeed the driver of self-correction (and lets not kid ourselves, they are), there's no viable mechanism to protect dramatic economic inequities (and all the problematic things that accompany them, like complete climate destruction) that emerge on a global level. People who run countries like China have no interest in allowing development - they capitalize on our naive belief that markets fix things without allowing things to actually be fixed (e.g. labor, ecological practice, political culture, whatever) for obvious and self-serving reasons. I'm not arguing for what you call a "planned economy," just pointing out that this continued ideological reverence for the free-market's seemingly magical (and wholly unobservable, I might add) power to create systems of stability and growth skirts the fact that people working collectively, not markets, fix things. Capitalism exists by necessity and it's a fine enough system provided we break away from the black & white narrative that it needs to exist without limitation.

i disagree with the fundamental premise of your argument but i'm not going to debate it in this thread :nodding:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JFC!

I agonized over an hour about buying those size 14's for someone on this thread who might want them and now they get buried under this effing philosophy of economics discussion?

W.T.F?

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

JFC!

I agonized over an hour about buying those size 14's for someone on this thread who might want them and now they get buried under this effing philosophy of economics discussion?

W.T.F?

I had to turn "JFC" over in my head for a few seconds to figure out what it meant! I know someone here is a 14...I remember their interest in some other larger shoes, so I'm sure they'll chime in on this pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads