• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy

Reaction score
Classic
smile.gif

LOL.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Striking a balance is good.
I for one do not expect thrift guys here to find a Hermes Leather Jacket in mint shape and then gladly offer proxy. However, lets say that Hermes leather jacket is worth $1000 based on shape. Selling on eBay and once all fees considered, one would be looking at a take home of a shade under $900 probably in the 870 region. An offer of $750 from a homey here would, in context, be reasonable and reflect the value of the find.

Where valuations go a bit off the reservation are the slightly less desirable pieces, the likes of Kiton orphan jackets, older Kiton suits or sport coats, older Brioni etc etc... Here there should be wiggle room by all of us. If a fellow happens to find a super 200's super recent Kiton suit, again, the Hermes example holds firm. If it is an old mid - late 90's Kiton Blanc Blue orphan jacket sup 150's maybe 180's up for grabs, I have noticed that folks have this $400 expectation for something that may or may not hit that target on eBay - most likely it would hit low 300's. An offer from a homey here of $200 - $220 should be considered "fair game".

Trades have slowly fell off the radar - mainly because of one simple fact: There is a huge discrepancy between the finds of the few and the finds of the many. Only a few here actually strike it big time with desirable goods, most of us find stuff very occasionally and thus would be unable to have a significant trade list in the first place.

It's easy for me to agree with you in abstract -- and I absolutely do; your rationale is quite sound and your numbers are far more reasonable than I think most of us see.

But the Devil, as we all know, is in the details. And life is messily circumstantial.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Striking a balance is good. I for one do not expect thrift guys here to find a Hermes Leather Jacket in mint shape and then gladly offer proxy. However, lets say that Hermes leather jacket is worth $1000 based on shape. Selling on eBay and once all fees considered, one would be looking at a take home of a shade under $900 probably in the 870 region. An offer of $750 from a homey here would, in context, be reasonable and reflect the value of the find.

Where valuations go a bit off the reservation are the slightly less desirable pieces, the likes of Kiton orphan jackets, older Kiton suits or sport coats, older Brioni etc etc... Here there should be wiggle room by all of us. If a fellow happens to find a super 200's super recent Kiton suit, again, the Hermes example holds firm. If it is an old mid - late 90's Kiton Blanc Blue orphan jacket sup 150's maybe 180's up for grabs, I have noticed that folks have this $400 expectation for something that may or may not hit that target on eBay - most likely it would hit low 300's. An offer from a homey here of $200 - $220 should be considered "fair game".

Trades have slowly fell off the radar - mainly because of one simple fact: There is a huge discrepancy between the finds of the few and the finds of the many. Only a few here actually strike it big time with desirable goods, most of us find stuff very occasionally and thus would be unable to have a significant trade list in the first place.

I hope that everyone I've dealt with feels like I was fair, but it is hard to know sometimes what value something has, so when I'm asked how much for something I do struggle with the answer. I won't to hook people up, but I don't want to get screwed by someone taking advantage. A friend on here sold an item for a steal to a lurker who promptly flipped it on the bay, which isn't cool to me. I understand if something didn't work out or you accept something in a trade that isn't really what you're interested in, so you list it, but to blatantly treat the forum as a source for ebay monies is fucked up. Personally I like CapnWes' approach of offering his stuff up at 50% his BIN.

TL/DR it's tricky to estimate value sometimes and to determine a fair price/offer, but don't screw me.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First, welcome back Mex.
Second, and you know I love you brother, but did you have to throw a hand grenade in on your first post back?

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's easy for me to agree with you in abstract -- and I absolutely do; your rationale is quite sound and your numbers are far more reasonable than I think most of us see.

But the Devil, as we all know, is in the details. And life is messily circumstantial.

:cool:

My response was more politically correct than responses a few months back regarding these pricing / valuation aspects. I am lenient on pricing despite being broke as ****. At the end of the day it is a thrift find and I got it for cheap. I generally do not proxy though - I usually go double money unless I am dealing with a friend. On certain very rare pieces, I will go roughly half eBay valuation. Thats my kind of thing though, not suggesting others do this although would prefer a relaxed attitude to trading and pricing.

Piece out..............

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple random things from tonight.

This old ass LL Bean shirt is pretty cool. It has a game pocket across the lower back, never seen anything like that on a shirt. I know we've talked about it before, but how old is this label? Size s.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

top L-R: very recent land's end chambray,Orvis shirt jacket XL
bottom L-R: Sulka 34/17 (my first), FF Zanella Todd pants, 36

1.jpg

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The signal to noise ratio is way out of whack now. All threads take tangents but the tangents here are exacerbated by noobs posting junk, experienced members who should know better posting junk and then the interesting finds getting lost in the shuffle.

It remind me of a philosophical question that this thread raises. If you read any other the other threads on SF, a common theme is the lament that men don't dress well as a rule these days. Business casual, poorly fitting suits, no coherency in creating outfits....you've read all the critiques made by the board luminaries. So if we decry the state of mens' dressing skills and yet purchase ugly ass shitstain ties to flip on Ebay just because they are Brioni, Zegna or, God forbid, Robert Talbot Estate, are we all just enablers? Pushers of crap to unwitting masses who see the name and assume the tie must be awesome because it says 'Made in Italy" even though the print looks like a clown with whooping cough sneezed his face paint on the silk?

Many of you are resellers, Do you feel any obligation to leave behind the butt ugly Brioni tie because you think the world would be a better place without it mucking up the landscape? Or, instead, do you just know that a sucker is born any moment and push the sale for the filthy lucre. I know Spoo doesn't give a **** and has essentially said as much. But what about the rest of you? When you thrift to flip, would you buy a fugly tie made by a known maker just to flip it when you know that the buyer is going to look terrible wearing it and you have trafficked in an item that degrades the sartorial discourse?

wait so you leave Robert Graham? Pretty much everyone on here buys these shirts with a gleeful fist pump and we refer to them as "skeet blankets" to each other while listing them with $100 buy it nows. I don't feel this forum is StyleAdvocate, we aren't spreading the good word of the fashion Bible to the infidels. If I have a chance to make a dollar, I have no qualms about how ugly / dated I personally feel the item is.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the Gitman I'm looking for? 3 seem unworn. There are three other solid blues not pictured, Gitman Gold, NWT and NWOT.

At $10 a pop, I'll probably grab just the green one.

Yes, one of them, though the Vintage line is the most sought after. I'd buy them if they fit. Very recent and the two that are in my closet are nice and slim fitting.

Thanks, Nat. Agreed, they are cut nicely. I got one for myself and may go back for one of the three identical red plaids. If anybody wants a proxy on a NWT 16.5 33 Gitman Gold (light blue, OCBD or pinpoint OCBD, can't remember) let me know. Or one of the red plaids...size medium, fits about like a 16 34.5.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well I knew it existed....just had been a personal goal to find one. Still looking for a diamond weave...the last one in the guide I haven't yet found.

[ATTACHMENT=5468]A Guide to Weaves and Designs (2).pdf (2,226k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

PDF saved, thats awesome. I always need adjectives. :)

Seems like an excessive raise size, he probably thought it looked weak. :D His play obviously didnt cover him in glory either...

It was 3am, I was a few beers in, and the MFer was checkraising me all night. I knew I had him beat, and just wanted to get him to fold.

Spoo...I think there's one in Bethlehem PA....what's that, like 1.25 hour drive down 78....might be worth the trip if you love it that much... 

Yah, true - though, the fun is the southern accents, really.

On that note....you know how hard it is to find a decent batch of grits up here?....or any batch of grits for that matter.

Waffle House, Bethlehem PA!

Hey, what can I say. People like that suit.

One category that seems to consistently get comments though, and it happens to be one of my favorite "categories" in this thread, are the vintage pieces. Things that are old get a lot of love here.

Anyway, not a complaint or a rant, but something I've noticed. Am I alone in that??

I know you saw my thread of course, but youre not alone. I get happy when I find something flippable, but really excited when I find something awesome and old.

Average Cost $10
Average Sale $80
Ebay Fee $8
Paypal $4
Shipping $6
Profit $52

Do this once a week $52 x 52 = $2,700.

Not too shabby for 1 item and most of us can find one item a week.

Now imagine if you can find 15.

I know Spoo doesn't give a **** and has essentially said as much. But what about the rest of you? When you thrift to flip, would you buy a fugly tie made by a known maker just to flip it when you know that the buyer is going to look terrible wearing it and you have trafficked in an item that degrades the sartorial discourse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads