• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewi

Reaction score

The Tech Square WH is so nice and clean (relatively speaking, of course) that it doesn't even feel like a Waffle House.

It's not a real Waffle House until the floor is sticky and the grease has had a chance to build up and age.

Just don't ask why the floor is sticky.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First time I have found a "shell weave" tweed...and I like it!
That's really neat! I've never seen anything like that either. Also, shout to Joshmick for hooking me up with a sweet PRL fair isle sweater vest in a trade. Thing is ****! Hand knit camel hair, wool and lambs wool. I passed one up at the Marshall's a couple months ago for $50 and I've been kicking myself ever since. I've also been checking the vest sections of the thrifts religiously in hopes of finding one. So naturally, literally the morning we made the trade, I found one. No maker tag, and made in Hong Kong but 100% wool and in a pretty neat pattern in my opinion. But one can never really have too many of these sorts of things, can one?

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First time I have found a "shell weave" tweed...and I like it!
I like that fabric, Cap. If I'd just seen the closeup and not the full shot, I'd have guessed it was 20s-40s vintage, not '70s. Interesting weaves like diamonds and such were common before the war, but fabric patterns and colors got a lot more standardized, with fewer options, in the latter half of the 20th century.
...there were two Waffle Houses that we'd go to: the one at Howell Mill and Defoors near Ghetto Kroger...
I guess everyone everywhere has insulting pet names for their local Kroger stores. The one nearest me is known by everyone in the city as The Dirty Kroger, and there's another one I've heard called KroGhetto.

Randy

Reaction score
It's not a real Waffle House until the floor is sticky and the grease has had a chance to build up and age.

Just don't ask why the floor is sticky.

Why the floor is sticky, Fig. 1

Last edited:

Dewi

Reaction score

I guess everyone everywhere has insulting pet names for their local Kroger stores. The one nearest me is known by everyone in the city as The Dirty Kroger, and there's another one I've heard called KroGhetto.

We have Ghetto Kroger, Murder Kroger (name is earned and deserved), we used to have Disco Kroger, and what I called Forgotten Kroger, as it was just a couple blocks away from Whole Foods in the loadedest part of town.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have Ghetto Kroger, Murder Kroger (name is earned and deserved), we used to have Disco Kroger, and what I called Forgotten Kroger, as it was just a couple blocks away from Whole Foods in the loadedest part of town.

Some highlights:

"It's a good place to go if you want to buy crack, but if you go there for groceries, you may never come back."

"It's the worst place to shop in all of Atlanta, you could lose your life over a 12-pack of Fanta."

Aidan K

Reaction score
last january

you should DEFO go. No thrifting in the Bahamas (to keep relevant to thread lol) but tourney, cash game all night, beach all day, tourney, repeat. in January. Amazing, would do it again. The cash games were incredible - if you think that Foxwoods or Mohegan is filled with donation stations on a weekend, the Bahamas was just a table full of ATMs. Checkraise all night long and strut out pockets full. Was beautiful. Though I did get burned by a chinese businessman on a check raise, me A9os, flop was 9 K 5 rainbow. 1/5 NL table, pot was maybe 100 pre flop. He bets 50, I know hes not holding a K. I reraise 375, he literally thinks about it for 15 minutes. Calls his all in and shows A5os. Turn was an A, river a 5. Motherfuck. Still bitter.

Seems like an excessive raise size, he probably thought it looked weak.
biggrin.gif
His play obviously didnt cover him in glory either...

Poker is also my first love, I actually found this place from one of the big poker forums which is my usual "hangout". Still haven't made it to Mohegun or FWs, mostly host and play in a few home games around the area.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like an excessive raise size, he probably thought it looked weak.
biggrin.gif
His play obviously didnt cover him in glory either...

Poker is also my first love, I actually found this place from one of the big poker forums which is my usual "hangout". Still haven't made it to Mohegun or FWs, mostly host and play in a few home games around the area.
2p2?

Aidan K

Reaction score
sup bro

which is to say yes. though i havent posted in or read a poker thread in several years, mostly just post in the sports threads

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit for today:
Vintage tweed from the Capt'
PRL fair isle vest from joshmick
Lorenzini for PRL pink and white striped shirt
unlined vintage wool tie by Mansure and Prettyman
Levis cords (not thrifted)
AE Daltons (ebay but paid for with thrift money)

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up an old leather jacket from a thrift store several weeks ago for the outrageous price of $8.99. The old and ragged thing has definitely seen its fair share of usage. If the jacket could talk, I’m sure it would have some interesting stories to tell. Anyway, I didn’t think it would be possible to restore, but decided to give it a try anyway. I used an affordable conditioner I ordered online called Tantex that costs about the same price as the jacket.

This ultimately became the biggest thrift store find of my life! I am happy to report that the jacket is completely revitalized and looks like something you would pay $500+ for brand new. It doesn’t necessarily look 'brand' new, but it has character you just can’t get anywhere else. Now I always look for old leather when I go thrifting because it is very possible to restore when you find the right product.
Touching story....please tell us you have before and after shots. Or at least after shots.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
BoO - 16 (L)

BoO (N/A)

Barbour Bedale (N/A)

Our Legacy cotton

I got back home from a business trip last night, and had half an hour in a store before it closed. Oregon must have missed me, because I found a couple of firsts.

MMM; Michael Bastian linen

I got tired of selectively quoting the things that I would wear, as it's all amazeballs.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm sure you got flamed pretty hard in SW&D, but I ******** with this.

Last edited:

joshmick

Reaction score
Thrift fit for today:
Vintage tweed from the Capt'
PRL fair isle vest from joshmick
Lorenzini for PRL pink and white striped shirt
unlined vintage wool tie by Mansure and Prettyman
Levis cords (not thrifted)
AE Daltons (ebay but paid for with thrift money)

Looks great on you, man! I'm glad it arrived safely.

I recieved the blazer last night as well and it looks wonderful. Great trade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads