• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny

Reaction score
"All Business" thrift fit. I usually wear a pocket square but I’ve got some outside meetings today and wanted it to tone it down. Please excuse crappy phone pix.

[/IMG]

Suit: wwchan thrifted by me, VBC fabric :inlove:
Shirt: BB slim fit thrifted by me
Tie: L. Barbera thrifted by me
Belt: PRL blue pony man black leather thrifted by me
Shoes: AE Hales, bought new on sale
Sox: Nordstrom brand probably sale, mostly cotton
Cufflinks: probably paid retail, can’t remember. Not too flashy.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift fit:
Barbour
PRL glen plaid lambswool scarf
Paul Stuart check button down shirt
BB tie
Vintage SS tie bar
Incotex trousers
AE Townley
Made in Italy silk hand rolled paisley PS. I don't usually wear them, but I though I'd give it a try today.
Vintage Campus Shop sport coat.
Everything thrifted by me except the SC, that came from Catside. :slayer:

This is absolutely awesome Eazy, fantastic fit.. That SC is the goods.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I imagine many of us get this reaction. It's actually a principal reason why I sell on eBay - my wife can't complain at anything I keep (or pick up from you guys or the bay) if I'm net positive, which I am by a descent margin. I also placate by saying it's merely fun money for babysitting, etc. and that seems to work. I just have to ensure that she doesnt start to see it is income, and thus want to save it or use it for the mundane.

+10000000 That's pretty much how I put it too. Of course, if I occasionally give her a vintage Burberry trench or Hermes scarf, that usually helps the cause 100 fold. On another note, I picked a nice rounded out stack of LPs today. Dylan, the soundtrack to Peter Sellars "The Party" :slayer: , Simple Minds, The Kinks, The Time, Chic, The English Beat, The Cure, Hall & Oats, Queen and Judas Priest.....LIVE!!!! :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer:

CesarC

Reaction score
Yeah, please don't put shoe cream on shell, and you in all probability don't need any wax either. Some Venetian Cream or other conditioner of choice (maybe Saphir Renovateur, but not straight mink oil) first, until you are confident the shell is not dried out, then see below. Shell can and does dry out, but it's nice to slowly develop deep patina by not adding color. Some of that lightness could be just because it needs some nourishment.
Quote:
Originally I thought Wes' comment read, "That's like ordering waffles at waffle house," and I erupted. I was going to add another crack before I read your post.... Outfit looks great, though, that's just the color tie I had in mind, looks sweet.

Friskydingo

Reaction score
I got back home from a business trip last night, and had half an hour in a store before it closed. Oregon must have missed me, because I found a couple of firsts.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+10000000 That's pretty much how I put it too. Of course, if I occasionally give her a vintage Burberry trench or Hermes scarf, that usually helps the cause 100 fold. On another note, I picked a nice rounded out stack of LPs today. Dylan, the soundtrack to Peter Sellars "The Party"
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
, Simple Minds, The Kinks, The Time, Chic, The English Beat, The Cure, Hall & Oats, Queen and Judas Priest.....LIVE!!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

so are you.... "breaking the law,"?
happy.gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, please don't put shoe cream on shell, and you in all probability don't need any wax either. Some Venetian Cream or other conditioner of choice (maybe Saphir Renovateur, but not straight mink oil) first, until you are confident the shell is not dried out, then see below. Shell can and does dry out, but it's nice to slowly develop deep patina by not adding color. Some of that lightness could be just because it needs some nourishment.
+1

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That logic doesn't really work on my wife.
She thinks I buy way too many things, but I justify it by saying a) that's not really true b) the vast majority of it is purchased at thrift, or slightly higher, prices and c) I didn't spend any money at all on clothes (well, that's an exaggeration, but you get my point) until about two or three years ago. When those lines of reasoning don't work, I just blame Cotton Dockers. And speaking of Mr. Dockers... Thrift fit in the wild from the ever-romantic, ever-Valentinesy Waffle House: Here's a tip. NEVER get the steak. It tasted like a salt lick. A cold salt lick.
Literally everything about this post is awesome.
Thrift fit:
Barbour PRL glen plaid lambswool scarf Paul Stuart check button down shirt BB tie Vintage SS tie bar Incotex trousers AE Townley Made in Italy silk hand rolled paisley PS. I don't usually wear them, but I though I'd give it a try today. Vintage Campus Shop sport coat. Everything thrifted by me except the SC, that came from Catside. :slayer:
I love this. There's a lot going on in that outfit, but I really, really like how it comes together.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thrift stores never cease to amaze me...

Shirts by Etro (41), Hickey Freeman (L), and Burberry London (16.5/34). Sharks hoodie (mine!).

csoukoulis

Reaction score

Yeah, please don't put shoe cream on shell, and you in all probability don't need any wax either.  Some Venetian Cream or other conditioner of choice (maybe Saphir Renovateur, but not straight mink oil) first, until you are confident the shell is not dried out, then see below.  Shell can and does dry out, but it's nice to slowly develop deep patina by not adding color.  Some of that lightness could be just because it needs some nourishment.

I used a SLIGHT amount of Allen Edmonds cordovan care cream. the discoloration was from abraisions and i had already tried to brush them out or an hour or so. they look a million times better now.

Randomore

Reaction score
Holy **** my local BE has pretty much every selvedge denim in NWOT. Picked up a couple but I was a little overwhelmed. Might go back and just get it all.

Randomore

Reaction score
excuse my Excited post up there. But when you see Raleigh, Simon Miller, ACNE, NF, etc all back to back without stopping its pretty exciting.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Those are labels I would not be able to constrain myself with either. I'm excited to see what you pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads