• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
PSA for all those who have the luxury of Polo, Sak's Off 5th, BB (higher-end) outlets, etc. I did a cruise today knowing that some good stuff might pop up. Places are loaded right now. In particular, the BB outlet had gotten a truckload of retail (not '346') stuff and practically all the store was discounted 60-70-80% off. Now that still isn't perfect thrift prices but the NWT premium is worth it sometimes, n'est ce pas?

I looked and looked and looked. There was some gr8 PRL and RLBL stuff at Bloomingdale's outlet clearance rack. All of it either didn't fit me or in the case of the RLBL shawl cashmere cardigan ($125 marked down from $795) I couldn't justify because I just have a lot of cardigans already.

The one thing I got pictured below (half of you probably won't consider this a "bargain," ha, and you'd have a good argument) was this sweatah, 80% off $298 retail...but the main point is: Go sift through your local places. I.E. another really good deal was retail BB cords, 80% off, you could get a lifesaver-roll color assortment about $25-27 each NWT...if you need that sort of thing.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That's an interesting orvis tag, haven't seen one like it before.

tubby34

Reaction score
Yo
I'm not exactly sure on the maker...though I do know that it's Italian for "hand sewn" (or something close). There is a maker or two that has this on their label though. Sorry I don't know more and tough break on those RLPLs!

You can probably reduce the shirt discoloration. It's not a terrible effort, but it can be tricky matching it. Not hard to dye and if it doesn't work you were out the shirt anyway right?

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

That's an interesting orvis tag, haven't seen one like it before.

I have this exact shirt, I bought clearance at the Orvis outlet. I love the shirt but 3 of those @#$%#$@^#$%$%^& rivets have come off in 2 washings and you can't put them back on. You can't apply the spare, either, as they apparently use heat in some part of the application process. Can't decide whether to take it to the Orvis mothership in Manchester, VT and ask WTF I can get in exchange or...put buttons on it and call it a day. I love the shirt, it's nice, a different pattern, nice fabric, warm, etc....goes great with light brown cords...

Last edited:

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a pretty slow week, and I've been getting pickier the longer I thrift.

I've been passing on a RRL size L western dark plaid button down, the third or fourth button is effed up, and some of the surrounding placket. I don't know if anyone here would be interested anyway...

Incotex for EZ navy slim fits 52

Luciano Barbera Plaid L

H&K 16.5/42

T&A 16/41

I haven't ever seen a T&A shirt like this before, everything that I've ever seen is very conservative.

That Bastian I picked up. The sizing on these is quite a bit different from the usual thrift store finds. Sz 15.75/40 fits great, and I wear a 15/38 most of the time

nolanmjj

Reaction score
Dang didn't expect the Marshall's episode to spark so much law controversy. Either way, I guess the worst part of the matter is that it is indeed debatable..

Anyways, the discount gods have been good to me since. Picked these up at Nordstrom Rack in my size; $250 is the original price, I assume $125 was the intended outlet price; got them for $20. I know they are just Nudies, but I just needed a pair of raw blue selvedge denim since all my others have crotch rips...

Last edited:

mhtcjt37

Reaction score
It's been a pretty slow week, and I've been getting pickier the longer I thrift.

I've been passing on a RRL size L western dark plaid button down, the third or fourth button is effed up, and some of the surrounding placket. I don't know if anyone here would be interested anyway...

Incotex for EZ navy slim fits 52

Luciano Barbera Plaid L

H&K 16.5/42

T&A 16/41

I haven't ever seen a T&A shirt like this before, everything that I've ever seen is very conservative.

That Bastian I picked up. The sizing on these is quite a bit different from the usual thrift store finds. Sz 15.75/40 fits great, and I wear a 15/38 most of the time

Wow nice haul, how do people keep finding Michael Bastian in thrifts????

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Church's right?

DeadBoy

Reaction score
lurker%5B1%5D.gif

Wow! Raf at a thrift? Crazy!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Not quite...
Fred Perry
More or less this. I've seen some pretty cool stuff from that collaboration, but a lot of it is basics of meh quality at slightly higher than reasonable prices. A lot more Fred Perry than Raf Simons.

I picked up one of the polos on Yoox last year because it was cheap and I needed a new polo. Found it to be kind of crap, and a button fell off after my second wear.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across a short sleeve seersucker shirt today with this label in it. I almost left if due to a light case of RATC but after googling it instore, it's currently in a bucket of very hot water with Dawn and hydrogen peroxide until tomorrow morning. It was half price on the yellow tagged stuff and my, my...is that a yellow tag? Here's my $2.50!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads