• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of nice shirts. I think the only brands I've yet to fondle are Kiton and Barba. That being said, the softest shirt I have ever had the pleasure to grace my closet is a Fray I picked up a couple weeks ago. I swear that **** is made out of the tears of virgin angels. :nodding:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hit up that place in Minnesota with all the doctors who don't buy nice clothes. CONFIRMED
:laugh: That's a pretty good haul for that area, though!
Went in a store I don't hit that often and in their boutique display case, I saw this:
:slayer:
warning: lots of pics. last couple days...all thrift stores, no discount store or estate sale or whatever. not pictured: dope ass naked and famous chambray shirt that fits me perfect.
Wow!! :slayer: PM sent on the gray Filson!
Marshalls find, $22.99 like all Levi's jeans usually are at Marshalls.
Whose size is that? Oh, right, its mine!
I've seen these online but never in person. Look pretty nice. Are they a limited edition or something? Made in USA? Either way, nice score!
Here are some of my finds from yesterday. Like I said, it's nothing terribly exciting. A lot of stuff that is of no real interest here as it's stuff that goes straight to ebay (lots of polos: Lacoste, Fred Perry, PRL, etc.). Availability is of varying degrees...some is already packed for members here, some is going into my closet.
A word of warning: I recently went to send a small package to someone on SF that I thought for sure would go for €5.90 (they said cheapest which means no insurance/tracking). Anyway, the post was adamant that it was too thick. Now, it will cost €15.00. Point is, if I'm going to send you one small item for €15.00, we may as well try to fit more stuff in the envelope. Vintage Cravats of London:
Ancient Madder
Two old Burberrys:
Scottish wool tartan/plaid:
Left to right: Ferre, Gucci, Dunhill, Zegna. The Gucci has some damage that I didn't see in the shop. Anyone know how old that label is? I think the Dunhill is real, but based on how often fakes have been posted in the UFO thread, I have no idea. It's funny, I was going through piles of ties and went to grab that one (hadn't seen the label) and a woman gets there a split second before me. I kept eyeing it and after about 10 minutes, she tosses it back and I immediately grabbed it. :happy:
Obnoxious Easter ties that I'm going to list:
Ugly Leonard Paris tie. These things seem to be hit or miss...I don't know which ones are prized. Anyone have a clue?
Knits... Wool:
Untagged. Feels like silk and/or cotton. Super skinny. I've never seen a polyester knit, they don't really exist, do they?
Untagged, but surely silk knit with stitched dots. I thought it was black/red when I bought it, but in brighter light it looks like a deep green/red.
Untagged. Possibly silk or silk/cotton.
Failsworth wool hat. I got this with someone in mind. PM on its way!
Hilditch & Key. Feels crisp, a couple of pin sized holes at the very bottom. Really short sleeves.
Windsor jacket. When I felt it, I thought it was linen. I checked the tag and was correct. However, the second material is 100% silk. Weird, the tag says first outer material:100 linen. Second outer material 100% silk.
Bally handmade. Terrible picture, but they're actually in good shape. Goodyear welted.
Foulard or large pocket square. Appears new with handrolled edges. Tag says Elegance Paris. Anyone have a clue? I think I've seen that tag on some women's clothes.
Baldessarini polo. Feels new. This isn't Hugo Boss Baldessarini, it's the actual company. A first for me.
I took a few photos from Vienna again. Spoilered as it's only mildly thrift related.
Train ride to Vienna. We've gotten a good amount of snow lately, but the higher up the elevation, the more snow.
Sigmund Freud museum near a thrift shop. I may go in next time as I find him extremely fascinating and have read quite a bit about him and his theories.
Rathaus, taken from the tram.
Street shot while I was waiting on the light.
Lunch. I walked in and the owner just looked at me. I said "Are you open?" I thought it might have been a private party or something as everyone in the restaurant was looking at me. He said "No, of course not" and just looked at me. Confused, I said "Oh, okay" and he said "Come on, I'm kidding, sit anywhere! How many are with you?" I said "just me," and he goes "Ahh, alone. Poor monsieur has to eat lunch alone." Funny guy :D
These were a couple of my projects. Giant baskets filled with ties. At one shop, they actually gave me a stool and box to help me sort them. It was likely an incredible site seeing me sitting down, going through 300 ties one by one. Either way, found a few to take :satisfied:
Great finds, Hans! Your photos of Vienna really make me want to hop a flight right now! Gorgeous!
Most expensive single thrift store visit in 2 years. Guess that's a good and bad thing..... And I left this....look at the tag close
I can't believe it! Jos. A Bank x Ermenegildo Zegna. What next?!
Morning out with not much for results. All of these from my last stop: Orvis Made In England moleskin sport coat (40L). Antler buttons?
Saw this yesterday. Really cool but was short on bread and wasn't my size.
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't get multi to work on my sister in laws iPad.
You're not alone. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me when I was using my wife's iPad while on vacation.
A couple recent highlights - 1) Hermes tie in NWOT condition - I don't think this has ever been knotted. 2) Super recent Zegna SC in my size and in an incredible color/pattern. Keeping both. Hermes:
Zegna:
:drool:
Pick Up advice: I took a big gamble today and picked up a pair of brown suede boots by Martin Maison Margiela, the real deal (no H&M thing). Condition of leather is superb and soles are leather and lightly worn. A) If I paid &90, is this a good pickup? Further Rant Points. 1. Why the **** do people keep looking at me? **** off mind your own ******* business. 3. Do not cut out in front of me or lean over me (it is only polite manners because I never lean over someone else or deny them a spot). Some woman behind me stretched out her arm and pulled a Gucci leather jacket about 12 inches to my right. I was inspecting a Ralph Lauren Polo Bomber Leather jacket wondering whether worth a pick up - made in USA forced me to consider it before I reckoned it was too 1980's to peak anyone's interest. **** ****, I was 12 inches away from a Gucci leather jacket. :brick:
A) Yes, definitely. 1) I once had some creep take a picture of me. A store clerk told me some creepy guy who came up to me and asked me about women's purses took a picture of me with his cell phone. I'm pretty mellow so I didn't really care, but had I been pissed off I would have confronted him and asked him why the hell he took a picture of me. 2) I feel your pain, man. EXACT same thing happened to me with a Loro Piana (actual private label) suede/cashmere jacket. Didn't even know what it was till the lady draped it over her arm with the label facing out to flaunt it. Ugh. Huge :brick: moment.
Girlfriend just broke up with me today. So what else to do but thrift? Some finds from today, some others.
EG shirt.
Miu Miu shirt
Dior Homme shirt
Dior Homme jacket.
jk. just Monitaly.
SF Giants jacket. Basically grail for me.
Caruso made RL Rugby.
LV Uniformes. Still cash.
Attolini made LBSC
2 x Versace, 1 random italian, 1 Ben Silver
My counter
Raliegh Denim
Brioni sport jacket.
Sorry to hear the bad news, Ray. Still thrifting is a much better alternative to the ever-popular going out to get sloshed. Maybe more expensive, but still healthier. Amazing haul though to offset what must have been a tough day. A pair of Raliegh Denim have been on my want list for a long time! Might break down and pay retail.
the softest shirt I have ever had the pleasure to grace my closet is a Fray I picked up a couple weeks ago. I swear that **** is made out of the tears of virgin angels. :nodding:
+1. Love Fray shirts!

PdxTony43

Reaction score
As a note. Yes its the law they have to give you the price they list. I knew a place where some employee misplaced a decimal on some leather jackets and people walked off with a few at 40.00 instead of 400.00 before it was caught. As long as its not altered they have to deal with it.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
EPIC haul today....details to come i'm hitting the sack. maybe ill cuddle up with the kiton cashmere sport coat i found.....

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EPIC haul today....details to come i'm hitting the sack. maybe ill cuddle up with the kiton cashmere sport coat i found.....

lurker[1].gif
Meow! Purrrrr purrrrrr

Dolfan954

Reaction score
As a note. Yes its the law they have to give you the price they list. I knew a place where some employee misplaced a decimal on some leather jackets and people walked off with a few at 40.00 instead of 400.00 before it was caught. As long as its not altered they have to deal with it.

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting first post, but I think this issue has already been cleared up, with it being considered not illegal for the store. I think you have confused people legally purchasing a price mistake before the store could figure it out and correct the mistake. This happens often, and is legal. The customer is simply paying the price listed. The concern was can the store arbitrarily change the price for the person who has not yet finished the transaction, and some members here have concluded that they can.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Girlfriend just broke up with me today. So what else to do but thrift?

As for me, haven't found too much lately. BB tie here, skeet blanket here. But I did find this sweet piece of furniture at a consignment store the other day:

vintage RCA Victor Victrola with the innards gone. Don't know what I am going to do with it, but for $50, I couldn't go wrong.

Dolfan954

Reaction score

I don't want to derail the thread but to blatantly say "Wrong," by merely a quick google does not make you right. You may, in fact, be correct, but the cases I know of lead me to believe that thi is not as clear cut as you think. Notice how the web link you provided doesn't actually talk about legal rights or provide any citation to the UCC Article 2. It merely mentions talking to employees, managers, and corporate. That sounds like trying to make a scene in order to have them give it to you to avoid a lost customer, not because they legally have to.

and can result in fines from state and local entities.
So what should you do if you are charged the wrong price?
  1. Explain the price discrepancy to the cashier.
  2. If denied, explain the price discrepancy to the manager.
  3. Provide evidence, such as an advertisement, coupon or price tag.
  4. Verify that the evidence matches the item. You may need to compare UPC numbers.
  5. If still overcharged, send evidence and a polite letter to corporate headquarters.

Notice how this doesn't talk about your legal rights. The one agency they want you to contact is to avoid being overcharged.

If there is an explicit coupon or advertisement, you are most certainly correct, the law is well settled on that point. See Lefkowitz v. Great Minneapolis Surplus Store, Inc., 251 Minn. 188, 192, 86 N.W.2d 689, 691 (1957) (discussing the advertisement constituted a valid offer).

As an example, take the following case. Some guy sued Pepsi because he wanted a harrier jet. They had an advertisement that offered to give away a harrier jet for something like 7,000,000 points. He read the terms and purchased points for 0.10 each, spending $700,000 and was denied the jet, so he sued. Think he was entitled to the jet? WRONG. He was not to be entitled to the deal because it was unreasonable to think that. Leonard v. Pepsico, Inc., 210 F.3d 88, 89 (2d Cir. 2000).

However, as was said by some member earlier, it really depends on the reasonableness of the pricing error. I think that particular item would be a close call. Marshall's lists the "retail" value of the item. If they mismarked what the original "retail" offer was and marked it down from that number, I would posit to you that it would be unreasonable to expect to get the item for that price if the "retail" of the item was also mismarked.

Now, I am no expert and not a lawyer. I also have no idea whether some provision of the UCC could be successfully argued. You might be absolutely right, but please back it up with the law and not some blog post while calling me wrong in the condescending manner.

Move this to PM if you feel the desire to discuss further.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Notice how this doesn't talk about your legal rights. The one agency they want you to contact is to avoid being overcharged.

If there is an explicit coupon or advertisement, you are most certainly correct, the law is well settled on that point. See Lefkowitz v. Great Minneapolis Surplus Store, Inc., 251 Minn. 188, 192, 86 N.W.2d 689, 691 (1957) (discussing the advertisement constituted a valid offer).
As an example, take the following case. Some guy sued Pepsi because he wanted a harrier jet. They had an advertisement that offered to give away a harrier jet for something like 7,000,000 points. He read the terms and purchased points for 0.10 each, spending $700,000 and was denied the jet, so he sued. Think he was entitled to the jet? WRONG. He was not to be entitled to the deal because it was unreasonable to think that. Leonard v. Pepsico, Inc., 210 F.3d 88, 89 (2d Cir. 2000).

However, as was said by some member earlier, it really depends on the reasonableness of the pricing error. I think that particular item would be a close call. Marshall's lists the "retail" value of the item. If they mismarked what the original "retail" offer was and marked it down from that number, I would posit to you that it would be unreasonable to expect to get the item for that price if the "retail" of the item was also mismarked.

Now, I am no expert and not a lawyer. I also have no idea whether some provision of the UCC could be successfully argued. You might be absolutely right, but please back it up with the law and not some blog post while calling me wrong in the condescending manner.

Move this to PM if you feel the desire to discuss further.

I disagree. But then, having worked in retail for too long, it's simple courtesy (not just the law) and good customer service to charge the marked price. End of story. Dick managers don't make the world go round...

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've seen these online but never in person. Look pretty nice. Are they a limited edition or something? Made in USA? Either way, nice score!

Cambodian-made, but the selvedge fabric, 1% spandex and extra two inches of inseam are everything I was looking for in a jean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads