• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Who's the resident furniture expert? Is this anything? I need a sewing machine table anyways.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen 2 in the wild just like this one. They were laughably terrible.

Very solid day today. Left 4 multistripe Zegnas at a Savers. Nice condition, but not my size and wasn't hopeful I could resell as they were funky. Also a HSM Gold suit, wished it was my size but no. FInally, left the most hilariously bad Hermes fake I've ever seen. Fabric felt so cheap, the 2nd Hermes tag (with what looks like a fake price) on the wrong side... Just silly.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who's the resident furniture expert? Is this anything? I need a sewing machine table anyways.

That. Is. The sehchs.

Don't know value, but look at that wood! (Yes, I see it.)

LooknGr8

Reaction score
tie wrinkles

I always go with hanging them over a towel bar in the bathroom for a couple of weeks of hot showers.  Has done a really good job with ties.  Marginal success with coats.  

Make sure you keep them away from direct spray (shower or elsewhere... ) :)

I have ruined a bunch of ties, ha! What I have learned:

Steamer does get some wrinkles out

Press too hard with iron and blades flatten/points go crooked irreparably

Iron too hot = acetate flambe if that's what's on the other side

If you get the wrinkles half out, hang ties for a couple weeks and the rest might straighten itself out

Some just won't ever come out without lethal force/heat

Careful with steam, overuse sometimes causes colors to run/bleed

bytor13

Reaction score
Hit up 12 stores today, but this was all that I grabbed. Orphans as far as the eye could see, though.

PRL, US Made, Gray Flannel DB Suit. Got it for myself, but the shoulders are just too big. Fits around a 40R. 34x30~ish double forward pleated pants. Unfortunately, AVAILABLE.

2X Limited Edition Skeet Blankets

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit up 12 stores today, but this was all that I grabbed. Orphans as far as the eye could see, though.

PRL, US Made, Gray Flannel DB Suit. Got it for myself, but the shoulders are just too big. Fits around a 40R. 34x30~ish double forward pleated pants. Unfortunately, AVAILABLE.

2X Limited Edition Skeet Blankets

Anyone else want to admit that they like the skeet blankets? Sometimes its fun to be loud.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've never seen/found one, nor do I think they're sold here, but from what I've learned in this thread, these should make you an insane amount of money.
Anyone else want to admit that they like the skeet blankets? Sometimes its fun to be loud.
No offense intended, but there are much better examples of "being loud" in this thread without the use of such shirt: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309785/waywrn-peacock-edition/0_30 Again, no offense, do what you enjoy!

Last edited:

amadar

Reaction score
A couple recent highlights - 1) Hermes tie in NWOT condition - I don't think this has ever been knotted. 2) Super recent Zegna SC in my size and in an incredible color/pattern. Keeping both.

Hermes:

Zegna:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful tie! A lot of the good vintage stuff around me is from that store, which was located in the DuPont building (notice that much of the wealthy-people stuff in Delaware is associated with that name).  It's interesting to see something from around here made it all the way out there! Cool find, and lovely tie.

Awesome! Always interesting to hear a little bit of the back story on some of these company's who are no longer with us.

That's really cool, any markings on it?

Also, I would never wear it, but that first RG is pretty hot. :nodding:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That's really cool, any markings on it?

I don't know. It's $30 on craigslist. Worth it? What should I look for on it? Metal feet has me thinking it may be a little later than true mcm stuff.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I don't know. It's $30 on craigslist. Worth it? What should I look for on it? Metal feet has me thinking it may be a little later than true mcm stuff.

Honestly hard to tell from the photo. I see/pass a number of stuff as pictured. There were a number of makers that utilized veneer in this manner between the late 1940s and early 1960s. A lot of it is interesting, but worthless. I have a Kommode (help with the English) that is great and I won't part with, but is likely worth nothing. Similar pattern of the blonde veneer that was very common at the time.

On the other hand, it could be worth thousands. I have no clue. :)

Shiny

Reaction score

Very solid day today. Left 4 multistripe Zegnas at a Savers. Nice condition, but not my size and wasn't hopeful I could resell as they were funky. Also a HSM Gold suit, wished it was my size but no. FInally, left the most hilariously bad Hermes fake I've ever seen. Fabric felt so cheap, the 2nd Hermes tag (with what looks like a fake price) on the wrong side... Just silly.

Anyways, popped my Salvatore Ferragamo cherry... Right alongside buying my first pair of thrift shoes!

Shirts (top-bottom, all available): RLPL, Canali, Zegna, Zegna Sport, Ascot Chang, Faconnable
Ties: Sulka x2 (not available), BB Makers (with a very VV pattern, possibly available)
Shoes (available): Salvatore Ferragamo single-monks, 9.5D
Other (not available): 2x set of shoe trees and a pair of Calvin Klein socks
Tagged L/G, measures 15.5x34

Tagged 17, measures 16.5x34

Tagged 17, measures 16.5x34

Measures 16x36

Measures 15x34

Measures 15x34

Normally don't go anywhere near the socks, but the glancing paid off here. Grabbed the socks for a quarter as t:nodding:hey were like new and super soft.

You take some good detail pix :nodding:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Kommode = commode = toilet :puzzled:

Or "chest of drawers" :lol:
http://translate.google.com/transla...a=X&ei=AC0gUf-tG8f1igLm-4GoAQ&ved=0CFsQ7gEwBA

Probably nothing then, thanks. They have enough sense to call it mid century, so if it was something special it would be priced as such.

Google translate failed me on this one, I always call it a "Kommode" whether in German or English. Google said "chest of drawers," but I knew that wasn't right. I believe "sideboard" would be more accurate.

I would hate to dissuade you if you like it and sew. You're right though, if they know how to market it, they might know it's not worth it. Like I said, I'm happy to buy furniture that lacks value but is well made/interesting, but if it's for a flip, be wary.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Google translate failed me on this one, I always call it a "Kommode" whether in German or English. Google said "chest of drawers," but I knew that wasn't right. I believe "sideboard" would be more accurate.

I would hate to dissuade you if you like it and sew. You're right though, if they know how to market it, they might know it's not worth it. Like I said, I'm happy to buy furniture that lacks value but is well made/interesting, but if it's for a flip, be wary.

Wow, you edited it after I quoted and I didn't realize it until mine posted. Well done, I've been bested. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads