The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

anyone notice the HUGE increase in prices at value village that coincided with the change to regular clothing store tags?

wow, i was thumbing through the overcoats, the average price was 50 dollars

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

A couple of these are serving as motivation to lose some extra holiday good cheer I'm carrying around with me, but with some laps around the track (for me) and slight alterations (for them), they should be good to go.

Barry Bricken mid-grey wool trousers:

[​IMG]

Brooks Bros rust cord vest with silk (sure feels like it) back (as seen in the 'What Are You Wearing Thread' Wednesday):

[​IMG]

Recent tie acquisitions, (l to r) Nicky linen, Hawkes & Keynes, Polo wool, Etro paisley and Robert Talbott houndstooth:

[​IMG]

And for the piece(s) de resistance, two sportcoats, 3/2 dartless (quite a bit of waist suppression, not really 'sacky'), partially lined, both silk blend I'm pretty sure:

[​IMG]

And a close-up for fabric and maker detail:

[​IMG]

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Was at TJ Max
    got a ted baker tie for 19.99

got a Michael kors for 9.99. still had the origional tag of like 98.00. This had a diff label (darker brown) than the other michael kors ties they had and the orig retail was like 2x the normal michael kors ties. They had 2 ofthe exact same tie. One had a price on it...tj max price of 30, the other had no tag, i got the one with no tag and the lady just wrang it up using the tag off the cheaper michael kors tie. which label is this?

It's probably michael kors mainline as opposed to the "Michael/Michael Kors"

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

Found an interesting pair of vintage Brooks Brothers captoes (with broguing on the 'cap-strip', nowhere else).

The insole is stamped 'Brooks English' with the golden fleece logo underneath, and then below that 'Made in England Exclusively for Brooks Brothers'.

The side is also stamped 'The Curzon'. The other side is marked

43 D 911
    M08643

Any ideas of the maker?

I also thrifted a nice Kiton 7-fold tie, and a pair of AE Park Avenues.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^ VMan, my understanding is that "Brooks English" were made by Church's.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

^ VMan, my understanding is that "Brooks English" were made by Church's.

Thanks for the tip, Alan. I was browsing through the 'heel nail pattern' thread to see if I could identify it, but no luck. I thought it was interesting that the European size (43 D) was listed, but no US size.

7. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

anyone notice the HUGE increase in prices at value village that coincided with the change to regular clothing store tags?

wow, i was thumbing through the overcoats, the average price was 50 dollars

Yeah, I've noticed. Suits here in Houston are about $14.95 to $39.95!

But the key as always is being very choosy. Today I got an perfect Ermenegildo Zegna suit, 3Bttn SB, DB, Trofeo fabric and it fit perfectly!

I have no problem paying $39.95 for one of those!

AAAOF, I'd rather pay $39.95 for suits like the above than say $5.00 for a perfect Brooks Bros. or $10.00 for a Hickey Freeman!

Sure it would be nice to find top of the line suits for $5.00 in the Thrifts, but I think those days are over (at least in Houston, Tx.)

Would most of you Thrifting Thread readers agree that it's better to pay $39.95 for something really sweet (Zegna Trofeo, Kiton, Brioni, Oxxford), than $10.00 or less for something very nice but not exclusive (Brooks Golden Fleece, Paul Stuart, Armani Collezioni, etc)?

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Brooks GF or Paul Stuart, either. Quality suits in good condition are rare here, though. Sport coats turn up more often. I've yet to see a Kiton at a thrift store (although it wouldn't bother me a bit if I did!). I'm sure Houston has a wider selection as its a much bigger metropolitan area.

9. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Would most of you Thrifting Thread readers agree that it's better to pay $39.95 for something really sweet (Zegna Trofeo, Kiton, Brioni, Oxxford), than $10.00 or less for something very nice but not exclusive (Brooks Golden Fleece, Paul Stuart, Armani Collezioni, etc)?
    I'd gladly pay $39.95 for Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece! I think at this price point (anything below $50 or $100 for a suit) you should just buy something that you want that looks nice... and that's in new condition and doesn't appear outdated (e.g., wide lapels). Those prices that you quoted for those particular suits both seem to represent about 100 times less than the normal retail price (i.e., a Kiton suit might cost $3,395 and a BBGF might cost a bit more than $1,000). So actually if you can get any of those suits (except for the Armani) then you should... if they're in good condition with no noticeable blemishes.

10. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I've yet to see a Kiton at a thrift store (although it wouldn't bother me a bit if I did!).

Alan, what would you say are the "best" suits you've seen at a thrift shop? Mine of course is the aforementioned G&H that has seen better days...

By the way that's a great BB vest! Nice find!![​IMG]

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

My best suit finds are a Zegna Taglio Esclusivo ($7--I love it!), an Oxxford Onwentsia (a little worn, but serviceable, found consignment rather than thrift), an older but classic herringbone Hickey Freeman (from a higher H-F line) and a Louis Boston heavy chalk stripe, which was too big for me. It's now sitting in my brother-in-law's closet. He won't admit it's too long for him and let me have it back so I can sell it. He's never worn it, of course.

I once ran across two Brionis at a thrift store outside of DC, but they were asking $70 for each, and they were a bit dated. I was unwilling to take the financial risk on them, but did alert people on SF of where they were. I don't know if anyone from here got them or not, but I never heard they did.

I've found many, many sportcoats, however.

12. juniper

juniper Senior member

Hackett Green/Brown tweed jacket 10GBP
    Thresher and Glenny french cuff light yellow shirt 5GBP
    Swaine Adeney sports jacket -- really gross yellow/green dogtooth 7GBP
    Gieves and Hawkes black full brogues 12GBP

Not a bad haul given the rubbish that fills most of our charity shops! I can go weeks without finding anything.

13. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Some obscurities lately:

A double breasted blue blazer by Aitken & Niven, George St. Edinburgh. Very slim on me...I'm about a 39/40R. Short double rear vents, suggesting a make date in the late 50s or early 60s.

Googled them to find out they were/are a bespoke tailor but also an outfitter of British schoolboys, which explains the name on a label sewn into the maker's label, and also the way the sleeves were extended beyond the satin lining with some wool felt (!).

Also a shirt from Ender of St. Moritz. Spread collar, cream wool, the softest ever. Vintage, so the tails are very long, nightshirt-like -what is this with vintage Euro shirts? This one seems to be from the 50s.

More contemporary shirts from Bonser, in a blue and brown stripe and fitting well, and a white herringbone twill from Wana, which I may flip. Both made in Italy.

Never heard of any of these brands before, but the boards encourage me to recognize fit, fabric, workmanship....so here we are! [​IMG]

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice haul, juniper. What will you do with the gross dogtooth?

15. juniper

juniper Senior member

DocHolliday: not sure. My friends hate it. Perhaps ebay. It's a nice structured fit.

Did I mention it has a 2.5in spaced red check over the top of the dogtooth? [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.