1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Great resource! +1, I'd say it's dated 2001. Nice find too!

2. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Senior member

Ties, shoes, and shirts are my favorite since they are the easiest. .

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  3. DanM

DanM Senior member

My order of operations: shoes, suits/sportcoats, ties, pants, shirts, misc seasonal. I would also be perfectly happy flipping nothing but shoes and ties, except those two categories have been completely dry for the last 3+ months for me.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I always grab them, and have a few drawers full....and a couple racks full. I just can't seem to move them very well. Used to do ok with 10 tie lots, maybe I will pick that up again soon.

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Weird, ties are my best finds

6. DanM

DanM Senior member

Ties ranked higher for me until they totally dried up. If I'm short on time, I prioritize by the categories that have been paying off.

7. concealed

concealed Senior member

your opening prices are too high

8. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

Shoes are my favorite but they are hard to come by

9. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

sweet find, great for the cooler months.[​IMG]

10. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

I don't have time to post the whole haul, but I did grab this yesterday.

If you don't find the pants on your first cycle, keep going back around. I found them wedged between two I'd somehow missed on the 5th try.

40 R. Available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Thanks for the info ejay (burn test) and I will add that these are all over everyone's favorite e-flea-market too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Cashmer...46426?pt=US_Scarves_Wraps&hash=item256a7fbd7a
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-CASHMER...80041?pt=US_Scarves_Wraps&hash=item565d10f5c9
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-CASHMER...27979?pt=US_Scarves_Wraps&hash=item35ccd74a2b
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-CASHMER...20777?pt=US_Scarves_Wraps&hash=item565d0e87a9

I ran across some while e-thrifting, toyed with the idea of buying one to check it out, but then reasoned that there's no way this stuff is legit for what they're charging. There aren't nearly that many genuine Scottish lambswool scarves new on the bay for $10 (they're out there, but not in bulk), let alone cashmere, and these guys are shipping them under $10 all day long. These sellers' scarves all have the same tag on them. FWIW the legit stuff I have from Scotland/Ireland/Great Britain, first of all has a brand name on it and not just a generic country & content tag. Then, brand notwithstanding, they all have labels with consistent spacing to the font. These cheapies managed to get "dry clean" to show up as two separate words, but they couldn't manage it with "handwashcold." The "C" in "Cashmere" also looks suspiciously close to a "G," as if Gashmere is a thing, or the importers & sellers are trying to leave themselves an out if they get caught with a warehouse of illegitimate goods (No, no, it says Gashmere! It's a branded synthetic like Cashmaire!). Their buyers seem happy for the most part, but most people don't bother to check and can't tell cashmere from acrylic anyway. I mean, they're both soft.

A NM Last Call opened here recently. Labels range from Ben Sherman to Michael Kors to Marc New York to Vince Camuto. Lots of J. Campbell, and a nice selection of RG skeets. Best shoes they have are Magnannis and the nicest ties are Boss and Ted Baker, possibly some Countess Mara IIRC. They did have a few HF suits but not a single piece of Kiton, Brioni, purple or black RL, nothing that would move any of us beyond flaccid even if found at thrift prices.

Now that I think about it, the NM house label stuff was among the best quality for money in the store. Their shirts seemed decent. So did their made in Italy socks, in a huge variety of patterns & colors for $8/pr. Of course, Marshall's/TJX have Pantherellas and Happy Socks for less.

tl;dr
    NMLC needs to step up their game.

Not sure why the quoted material isn't showing up, but re: the Swiss army coats, thanks to whomever posted that link. I ran across a couple of the shorter Swiss jackets last month but left them because in the field I couldn't tell exactly what they were based on the minimal markings. Fortunately for my own sanity, they don't appear to be super rare or have huge value.

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I usually fold them and put them in a garbage bag then freeze the shit out of them for a week!!!

That's what I was saying! That's why I was sooooooooooooooooo surprised to see that Jack Spades selvedge!!!

WTF...HAHAHAHAHAHA! [​IMG] I've seen a Toto sign bolted upside on a urinal. HAHAHAHAH!!!

13. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Quote: Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fit pic, fit pic, fit pic.............. in the fit thread![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  14. suited

suited Senior member

I guess the one near me must be one of their better locations. It's stocked with Kiton, Brioni, TF, Zegna, etc. They have a small section of RLPL and RLBL that I didn't discover until a few weeks ago. I would think that any area that has a crappy NM Last Call would have an equally crappy TJ Maxx.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Donegal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Usually pass on this label but it was mint and really cheap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. tben

tben Senior member

Yeah. Not authentic cashmere. I purchased a couple from a street vendor in NYC last winter (knowing that they weren't authentic) because I liked the design, they were cheap, and warm.

There were like a million pairs there too, all with a couple of red stickers marking clearance. I think they were originally asking something like 129.99 or maybe 99.99 for them. I am surprised about the shirt. I picked one up for 19 or 26 or something like that last year. A really nice thick OCBD with MOP buttons, reinforced gussets and a trim fit. Not a bad shirt for the price. Thanks for the tip on the freezer thing too. I had no idea. I would just hang them and occasionally spray some fabreeze their way.

16. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

[​IMG] [/URL] No ones said it so I will, those aren't ordinary Lobbs they John lobb Paris bespoke and retail on those is probably like 15k one of the best finds I've seen

9 people like this.
  17. Harvitz81

Harvitz81 Senior member

18. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I don't know what I would do if I had thrifted a pair if shoes that retailed for 15k...it would feel just as lucky as winning the lottery.

Keep us updated with what ever you decide to do with them. Epic trade, let it ride in eBay or BIN or w/e it is I wanna know the story that came to be with these. Great find, grats.

19. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

any particularly good stores to thrift at in the NYC region?

looking for ties, dress shirts, etc.

20. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Shout out to ptos inside track this is my third purchase of one of their features items
    Sulla brown grenadine for $35 shipped
    [​IMG]
    I purged all my neckwear but a navy silk twill with a pinup in the lining, a black silk knit, and an etro ancient madder, I have been looking for a brown self lined garza grossa for a whole and although this isn't quite it, it's a good in between

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.