1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Wow! Ok, now I remember these! Wes and I were trying to date it! Good stuff! Did you eBay them?

That's soooooooooooooooooooo bad ass! Is this the original or reprint? I've always wanted these vintage poster famed in my living room!

2. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

That is friggin sweet. I've been looking for some of those lately. Haven't got one yet.

3. suited

suited Senior member

I thought the thrift gods were about to suck my balls when I found this dual vented, ticket pocketed, functioning cuffed, striped SOB today, but the pants were nowhere to be found. I asked them if they could check the back, and she did, only to tell me that it came with the pants but they were so badly damaged they threw them out. I've seen items there with holes, so this guy must have shit his pants or wore them to play paintball in :brick: I also found 2 Brioni blazers (unvented), Paul Stuart suit, and a Brioni and Zegna shirt, plus a pair of Ferragamo monks. I had to pass on 3 Paul Stuart suits (pinstripe) because of damage and/or pissed pants. Pics later, stuff is headed to bay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Few nice finds today! Loro Piana Dress Shirt, BB OCBD, NWOB Cole Haan burgundy penny loafers, NWOB pebbled split toe Florsheim Royal Imperial Oxfords. And finally, my first pair of shells! Allen Edmonds Leeds for only 9.99! Also a pair of Gap Selvedge, and a pair of Ben Sherman Jeans, Ben Sherman tie, and Staple Gray Santorellis. Will post pictures of the best by tomorrow. So excited about the shells!

1 person likes this.
  5. FUMAO

FUMAO Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. eazye

eazye Senior member

Found that exact jacket the other week, also with no trousers. Still sold on the bay for around $30, so, not a bad $1.90 spent in my mind.

Not much lately because as I said, I've been too busy to really tear it up.
    I did find this sweet Paul Stuart tie the other day.
    [​IMG]
    This sick 3 piece glen plaid women's BB suit, single button, peak lapeled, dual vented with a ticket pocket, LP super 120's 4 season fabric and a shit load of MOP's. If anybody's lady is a size 12 jacket and size 8 pant, get at me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this awesome vintage mohair or alpaca belt back DB topcoat from Louis Roth, around a size 40 and available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

Hard to tell with that picture, but it doesn't look like it from here. Do you have a different pic showing the insides a little better? Like this?

[​IMG]

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

@FUMAO Count the number of creases/folds. I'm seeing 3 there. Eazy's is a 6 fold, though for simplicity's sake people often call these 7 folds too. In my experience 6 folds are more common than true 7 folds.

1 person likes this.
  9. concealed

concealed Senior member

So I needed a last minute Halloween costume and obviously I thrift a lot, so easy choice was to pick my most flamboyant shit and call it Craig Sager. Good game.

1 person likes this.
  10. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

my attempt at a master post of stuff I have just taken quick snapshots of and aren't sold or traded away yet
    ALL AVAILABLE

wool cargos with leather ankle straps I remember a pair of these being posted a long time ago and people freaking out so I picked them up
    32 waist 13 rise 31 inseam 8 leg opening

[​IMG]ī
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my personal favorite find of ever, double patch pockets, 3/2 dual vented, thick mop buttons, pick stitching everywhere 1/4 lined
    19 shoulder 21 ptp 30 boc

STAPLE AS FUCK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GUCCI 10% cashmere 90% wool tuape/tan color side tabs button front pockets
    36 waist 35 inseam with 2in underneath the hem so you have plenty of material to put cuffs on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WW2 era naval deck jacket/parka/smock
    20 shoulder 25.5 sleeve 28 length
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another zegna, 3/2 fully lined half canvassed wool and cashmere nice plaid
    19.5 shoulder 22 ptp 30.5 length

[​IMG]

one piece collar barbera
    21 shoulder 26 sleeve 26 ptp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    d&g
    19 shoulder, 28 sleeve, 21ptp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    prada 18 shoulder 26 sleeve 20 ptp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ralph lauren black label cashmere cardigan with horn buttons
    18 shoulder 25 sleeve
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    orange cashmere vest/gilet by barneys new York 100% cashmere smoked mop buttons
    17 shoulders 22 ptp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    anything I don't get a message on (and I don't expect many I mean these pictures are god awful) is going to spoo on Monday so pm me if you have any inkling you might want one of these

2 people like this.
  11. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

It seems like most people here are going to stores that are generally priced lower than where I am. Any sport coats at GW or similar start at 9 bucks at least, where at VV they're 10-20. The only places where they're $5 is at volunteer community thrift stores, but then I see someone posting about spending $1.90 on a SC, is the PNW generally higher priced for thrift stores? I'm curious how much everyone pays on average for specific items.

TLDR: How much do you guys usually pay for sport coats?

12. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Not sure if this helps you but I have this FLAMBOYANT Paul Smith

on ebay right now.

[​IMG]

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

that would be excellent, if you could get it here in about 2.5 hours

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Your experience is similar to mine (I'm in Austin). Sport coats start at $9.99. We also have GW Boutiques here where SCs may be as much as $19.99. Haven't seen a suit for more than $49.99, but that was a nice flannel vintage Polo in great shape, however I also got an HF, recent, for 24.99. but yes, I'm always astounded when I hear someone on here say they got a SC for like 3 bucks. Never seen any coat in my town for less than $10.

15. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Do they have that shipping option? Hell I ll just deliver it my self :satisfied:

16. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Two outdoors labels I've never thrifted before. Neither are my size, but both are windproof. :slayer:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Prices here in the Minneapolis area are about the same. Sportcoats/blazers base price is $8.99. Suits are $8.99 for the jacket, $5.99 for the pants. Shirts are $6.99 and ties are $3.99. The thing that sucks is everything is individually tagged which makes it easier to mark up anything and everything. I like how SoCal Goodwills are set up with mostly flat prices and little colored plastic tags.

I'm sure the jacket Easy got was either on a steep discount day or at a small local shop. Can't see anything being that cheap anywhere really these days unless it's on a day before that color tag stuff gets pulled to be bailed up or something.

19. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD COULD SOMEONE PLEASE THRIFT ME A PAIR OF TAN OR BROWN PENNY LOAFERS SIZE 11.5 OR 12
    PLEASE I CANNOT FIND A SINGLE PAIR

20. catside

catside Senior member

I routinely pay over and around 20 for jackets on average. If lucky, half price day.

Btw looking for a waxed Barbour preferably women 8 or better 10, would be men's 38-40

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.