1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

I can swing 14s depending on the maker, but that's as big as I go.

2. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Dang.I found a collection of size 15 Spanish shoes (Magnanni, Mezlan, etc.) All look to be worn once. It's half off today so I might swing by unless DanM gets there first.

3. stevenkmason

stevenkmason Senior member

I can squeeze into a 15 and I'm very very very interested!!!! PMing now!

4. FUMAO

FUMAO Well-Known Member

Hardy Amies Shirt - NWOT - Size 16 (has cardboard in the collar) (Available) Though I just realized I somehow got a mark on the shirt in transit [​IMG] so will have it dry cleaned first if anyone takes it.

[​IMG]

5. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I have personally had really good luck with odd-sized shoes on the 'bay.

It seems like a lot of people with irregular sizes are accustomed to the online world anyway.

Just my .02

6. stevenkmason

stevenkmason Senior member

This dude ^^^ trying to cockblock my new shoes ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. BakerStreet

BakerStreet Active Member

That's the plan! The Aldens are going into the care package I need to send to you.

I've learned a lot from this thread, but still making a lot of rookie mistakes.

1 person likes this.
  8. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

A approved find! Looks to be orphan though
    About 43 44s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Quick stop.

RT estate for me.
    [​IMG]

Facconable by Cantarreli right? 3/2 double vented awesome pattern SC. Wish this was smaller. Tagged 46. Available.
    [​IMG]

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I have one and it is gorgeous, but this one...

For my money, this is the single best listing ever posted by our friend in PA. The Sawyer, the NWT Pendleton, the cashmere overcoat and I'm sure I'm forgetting something--very, very nice.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Truth. He was kinda smashed in between a Woman Within mumu and a early 90's Josephine Chaus bright green blazer with gold buttons. :lol:
    Oh God... :drool:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  12. catside

catside Senior member

Damn! Those C&js. If my size I will bid.

13. DanM

DanM Senior member

Dang, I didn't see any shoes worth picking today! Mind if I ask which GW they were at? (I'm finished thrifting for the weekend, trying to list everything picked up in the last two weeks).

I did manage to pick up a J Press Presstige navy blazer with brass buttons and a Pendleton tweed hunting jacket with suede elbow and shoulder patches.

14. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Solid little run. Very sadly had to leave a Martin Greenfield chalk stripe orphan in my size (and a "Gabbana" navy orphan). Scoured the pants for their mates, but no joy. Still a few finds for myself, few for the 'Bay.

Suit: Southwick (available)
    Tie: Made in Italy PRL knit (available)
    Shirts: Paul Stuart x2 (check n/a, solid available)
    Cardigan: J Crew (tenatively n/a)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does J Crew use smoked MoPs ever on something like a Made in China cardigan? I ask because these really look/feel like it, but that just seems wrong (despite the touch of cashmere, so I assume it was more expensive).

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Damn, I'm thinking this is one of those buy from customers cheap and sell them for profit thrift shop?

16. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, that's a fairly recent J. Crew piece and their newer stuff is very nice. Despite being made in China (being made in China really doesn't mean too much these days anyway), they've really stepped it up in terms of quality. Price has obviously gone up as well, though.

1 person likes this.
  17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

No, they are both independent charity shops. The bigger one is run by a lady with a lot of contacts in the business world, and she gets some awesome stuff from personal donations. The other one, I think my luck was in. Some of the prices are a higher than the regular op shop, but who's complaining about $60 for a Brioni suit?

18. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

nevermind

19. Pupatl

Pupatl Member

Two items from today (and excuse the cell phone pics since I do not sell, so cell phone is all I got). Both of these from shops that I rarely stop at, and even more rarely buy from (in fact the pants are a first buy, and the coat is I believe only the 2nd item I've purchased from that particular shop):

Zegna pants (ever so slightly short on me, but fit in the waist - content tag cut out) - they are an olive green IRL and fill a need. Reasonably good shape, no more worn than trousers I bought new and have worn myself:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And by far the cooler item:
    [​IMG]

Wellensteyn coat - this thing is heavy and almost brand new - the only thing I could find wrong with it is that one of the zippered pockets (that doesn't have a zipper end) isn't zipping properly so the zipper doesn't join when you slide it up and down. *shrug* I'll just use one of the gazillion other pockets. It seems like if I knew what I was doing I could get it to go back together. I'd never heard of this brand before (so any thoughts from the collective are appreciated), but the coat was in such good shape and was so fricking heavy that for $10 I figured worth a shot. For a better pic since it is still available retail : http://www.wellensteyn-usa.com/JAGURO-at-Wellensteyn-USA-PID8317-JAG62.aspx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

If anyone finds any ruined Balmain biker jeans (unwearable), I'll buy them for the zippers.

Please note me, since I'm not often prowling this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.