1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

(X post from WAYARN) SUPER jealous of all the aweseomeness the last few days, dudes. Lobbs are still on my bucket list. Busy day. Can't stay and chat. Teaching tonight; the "perfect game" continues (0 suit repeat). Feeling bold today. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] HF Barba Sciunnach Unknown silk, hand rolled Allen Edmonds (belt) Panthy C&J

1 person likes this.
  2. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

As always, crappy phone pics.

Aran sweater, made in Ireland. Tagged M
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Cashmere.

[​IMG]

3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I'm actually thinking of doing that. Once I read the history of the brand and noticed that it's mentioned in a couple of rap songs and has a mini-following, the thought occurred to me that these are a well-made american shoe and it would be nice to restore them.

Contacted BNelson and was quoted $190 for restoration including v-cleats and top of line leather soles and cleaning/ polishing etc.

I didn't realize v cleats were so much more. I'd easily pay $100, now I'm thinking it over. I'd pay $190 to restore Wes's $1 Lobbs, if they were my size.

But I do want to restore them. Just have to figure out how much its worth to keep them original.

4. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Oh, forgot your comment on the plasticky leather. That's what drew me to them. I saw them from about 10 feet away and they seemed to have the white patina of shell but when I got closer, there were finer wrinkles that I couldn't see until I got closer. But then the v-cleat spoke and said "buy me anyway".

I did see that they have a shell longwing and I've seen a couple today after I figured out the brand.

This was my first visit to the vintagehaberdashers.com site and it was interesting to see all the older brands, many fine shoemakers, until sometime in the 80's and they down-spec'd their manufacturing and outsourced it.

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I can think of at least three felony class offenses that I'd commit to own a pair of those. :devil:

6. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Helped a buddy move for a couple days which let me hit up the SA near him which I rarely frequent. Good thing I did! All n/a except the D&G.

Some thrift synergy with all the talk of Vicuna recently. Really is a great feeling and looking fabric. Both coats donated by the same guy (D.D. initialed in one, and the D___ D___ name in the other), fit like a glove (save maybe a half inch too long in the inseam).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Half-off day on the color tag for both jackets to boot. Finally popped the Oxxford cherry after passing on some heavily damaged stuff a month ago. Admittedly dated lapels on the Oxxford, but not surprising given that the thing is 30 years old, and I can handle it for ~$4. Not familiar with the HK tailor on the Vicuna, but looks nice, pick stitching around the lapels, etc.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

BTW,

I snagged a RLPL black striped point collar, barrel cuff dress shirt ('boutiqued' at $12 :mad: ) and a NWOT slim fit BB button collar red striped shirt, neither of which I currently owned so n/a.

The RLPL looks like this except the stripes are black.

[​IMG]

I left one of these... VTG USAF Mens CWU 36P Air Force Fire Resist Summer Military Jacket Coat Sz S
    ... priced at $15 with oak leaf patches at the shoulders and in perfect condition because i was going to chance it being there tomorrow for Senior Citizen Day and 25% off. As I type this, however, I just realized today is Monday and SCD is WEDNESDAY! :fu: Maybe I'll go back today and pay the full boat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. suited

suited Senior member

This stuff? These are from a blazer I found a few months ago. I assumed it was the good Valentino.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

When you pay less than ten bucks for a coat, yeah, I'd imagine it is worth it.

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Not too much, I suspect. I paid something significantly under $100 for mine, which were in fine condition, from eBay a few years back. There was no stampede.

12. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

I went to one of those once. Pretty sure it took a couple years off my life.

OK, time to clear up some misconceptions:

Not the 'good' Valentino by this thread's quality/flippability standards. There are two 'good' Valentinos:

1) Recent Valentino.
    2) Valentino's 'Tailoring' label, which is made by Isaia. Will be a black label with gold lettering, the word 'Tailoring' underneath and, you know, an Isaia content tag.

The dead giveaways that that's old is the 'Uomo,' the stupid V logo and just about everything else you took a pic of.

So yeah, not the good Valentino, but from the looks of it, a good jacket you'll enjoy wearing.

None of it is crap crap, just not up to the craftsmanship standards of many other labels we find. Like other European labels that are primarily catered to womenswear, it's not mindblowing stuff and it's way overpriced at retail, but thrift prices is a different story.

Yes, and that looks like a pretty nice colour/pattern too, nice find!

1 person likes this.
  13. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

PRL Military-Style Wool Coat is great if its a medium and you want to sell or trade I'm into it.

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Oh well, you win some, you lose some. If I ever have the need for a tux, I'll still be better off than the other 90% of the population in rentals. Also, I could give 2 fucks what some random dipshit is saying in another thread. This isn't high school.

15. stevenkmason

stevenkmason Senior member

I'm in the field now. If anyone wants these minty AE Bridgetons in 12 D I'll get them. Otherwise they're too small for me. They'll be sitting in my cart until I leave. PM me in the next 15-20 minutes if you want them.

[​IMG]

16. sportcoat

sportcoat Member

I was curious why you said the lapels were dated.

17. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Mine feel amazing. They're soft, extremely warm, but breathable. It's pretty cool, but I prefer the feel of Loro Piana Super 130's+ myself. I like smooth feels.

Only got a couple Thomas Pink shirts today, stores around here were way too packed to really get much thrifting done.

18. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POPPED!

TAGGED 17.5, XL, AND XXL
    ~ AVAILABLE ~

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Barba and Michael Bastion are new to me too. Dammit.

1 person likes this.
  20. edwardthefirst

edwardthefirst Senior member

Hey guys, if anyone is in SoCal and a 40S, this might interest you.
    I was at the Barney's outlet in Cabazon today, and I found a RL Black Label (by Caruso, if I'm not mistaken) that can be had for about $320 ($449-30%). It might have a small snag or a messed up zipper. Chocolate brown pinstripe two button double vent, FF trou with side tabs, 33 waist. From the F/W2012 collection. Marked down from $2,000+, seems like a great deal. Would have kopped if my size.
    Edit: for some reason I missed those Barba shirts. Those are beautiful! The MoP buttons are so nice looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.