1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

2. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Freaking awesome

3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

So sweet! All of it, I hope he scared the shit out of you in that thing!:slayer:

4. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Looks to be a LVC version, right Nataku?

If not then yes a true treasure!

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Solid fit, Wes. Nicely done.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wes. That is awesome! Both the outfit and the ride in the Spoo-mobile! :slayer:

Nope, it's the real McCoy. :D

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me date this? Levi's aren't exactly my specialty. I'm thinking late 40's-mid 50's?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Freak'n awesome denim haul, man! OMG! That jacket = [​IMG]

very old Woolrich jacket with wear through out but I for %8 I couldnt just leave it there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple Lee chore jackets I'm forgetting the model # for but one is blanket lined. Huge otherwise I'd be living in them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At first I was like, "Holy shit! Somebody thrifted some The Real McCoy's???!!!" Then I realized...But still very cool!!![​IMG]
    My buddy just told me it's prolly from the 60's. Will need to get back to you on this...

8. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Today was an epic SWnD kind of day! [​IMG]

Thrift pics to come! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Nice thrift fit Wes, were you joking about having nothing to wear? I think you astounded everyone with that statement. Certainly pulled it off.
    On my phone so not even going to attempt to quote/spoiler, but: To the guy asking about picking up Oxxford pant orphans, yes, get them if you resell, they will go quick and for good money. Should go without saying, if they look good, fit good, need them in your wardrobe, hell yeah get them. I think there are plenty of opportunities to wear orphan stripe pants (I'm assuming you are calling them orphans bc they are striped, otherwise theyre just dress pants.)

Shout out to jgill79 for leaving me that great Tyrwhitt cotton sport coat, also good seeing you. Wore the coat out of the store, right into the restaurant. When a thrifted item fits like it was made for you, its a great feeling. When it fills a hole in your wardrobe, even better. When it compliments what your wearing ATM? Awesome. Only thing better? When a couple BINs come in while your shopping and they cover your entire purchase and dinner for the night. Love having that bay app on my phone.

Nat, awesome haul, hell everyone the last few pages!

1 person likes this.
  10. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

3 people like this.
  11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nope. No joke.

That is my one suit, one shirt, one belt and one pair of shoes. My question was more trying to get a feel if I should go with my one suit or my one sport coat.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  12. OliT

OliT Senior member

The insane thing is that it was far from the only unbelievable find.
    I also got this: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=3815593&ev=rb
    This: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=3282331&ev=rb
    This: http://www.discogs.com/Wigwam-Being/release/763391
    This: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=1889187&ev=rb (Mine is in EX condition sans a sticker.)

And a bunch of other more or less obscure prog rock from Norway, Denmark and Iceland. I think I've easily hauled expensive records worth three grand from that sale. And to top it off, I've got a bunch of good quality stuff that's worth two or three times what I paid. Taking those to the record shop next week.

As for keeping: I haven't really decided. The Svanfridur album is great, but I'm not sure I dare listen to it, heh.
    Here's one of the songs:
    I'm sort of kicking myself for not finding this record before my friend did (but better him than anyone else):

[​IMG]

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I found this cashmere blazer that has no maker's name on it. The label looked really familiar, but I don't seem to be able to place it compared to other Italian suits that I own. Does anybody recognise this one? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

"The Mogul"

15. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

frickin nataku stealing everyone's thunder :) 18 second difference between those post!

I've got some 46s I can send your way if either of yours are a 40 lol.

16. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

thats a nice find,
    would looks cool on someone who goes up to the mountains!

17. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Been not getting out much for a few weeks while I try and get rid of what I got stacked up in the house. Did make a run out last night and also brought a few things home from a Wisconsin trip last weeked:

Cheaney Loafers, size 7
    [​IMG]

AE Westgate wholecuts, size 9 3E
    [​IMG]

Vintage cardigan (no tags at all no this so no idea of age. fits small)
    [​IMG]

A couple vintage Woolrich items from a small town thrift:

Wool pants, 36 (anyone got any idea of the age on these?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gray parka, Small
    [​IMG]

Other than that some sweaters for myself (Alan Paine and recent J Crew) not pictured

18. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Generally, yes. The cut and details of most suit coats usually identify them as what they are, despite your efforts to disguise them. Buttons, pockets, flaps, etc. always tell the tale. Additionally, it is almost impossible to match odd pants based on color or material because even when close, the difference will be obvious and it will look like you are doing...well, exactly what you are doing.

There are rare occasions when a suit jacket has a bold pattern or patch pockets and you can swap out the buttons to make it appear to be a sport coat which can then be worn over odd pants. If you don't have experience in it, however, the results will likely be disappointing.

There are too many actual suits and great sport coats waiting out there for you to find instead of having to waste your funds and time trying to make something into what it isn't. Be patient and when you make the REAL scores, you'll be glad that orphan that you would have invested so much time, effort and money into ISN'T taking up closet space.

Ask me how I know. :embar:

Do it! I wore a cotton suit to an outdoor wedding last week with high humidity and temps in the 80's. There were a few light sprinkles throughout the event and the wool guys looked uncomfortable while mine dried out almost instantly. I'm taking linen sport coats to a company gathering in Westchester, NY this week where the dress code is casual.

[​IMG]

:D

1 person likes this.
  19. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Looking great, both the fit pics and the ride!

Aside: Last night I dreamed that I thrifted a Lamborghini for $995 - the guy sold it cheap because it had an intermittent starting problem. No idea what model - I'm not big on Lambo's - and the starter issue turned out to be a loose wire. Really detailed dream - I found a compartment that had some cash in it, and a GoPro Hero HD camera NIB under the seat. I woke up this morning still half-believing it really happened...I haven't checked the garage - maybe it did.

1 person likes this.
  20. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I wish my broke azz could afford these. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.