1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Here's a link I've found searching "do cedar kill moths" on SF. So according to SF user sfbloom, they do not and the only way to kill and prevent moths is to dry clean your wollens before you store them.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/210236/do-cedar-blocks-hangers-work-for-moths/0_100

I just bought a bunch of cedar shavings. The wifey is sewing me some cedar pillow from old t shirts. Will report back with results. I think I'm going to refreeze all of my wollens for up to 2 weeks...

2. barrelntrigger

Ahhh shit, I think I'm just going to replace my entire wardrobe with denim! You never hear any bugs eat denim for a living! [​IMG]

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

The trick is to use a piece of decoy wool to distract the mutter moths.

There is another, collegiate use for decoy wool, but I will pretend I am too mature to mention that here...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Hope it went well, man. Since I couldn't help you before you left, my only advice is when you get back home, a slight shift in clothing priorities might be in order.

There are several problems with this logic:

- This is a runway shot.
    - It is a model wearing the outfit... he could be wearing a potato sack and he'd look good.
    - Wes's clothes are almost certainly not fashion-forward enough for this. The crew necks he alluded to are probably neck-huggers, which look bad with blazers.
    - Even if Wes had the clothes and the goods, dressing like a fashion-forward runway model is generally not a good idea when meeting business associates for the first time.
    - This outfit doesn't even look that good on the model.

1 person likes this.
  5. barrelntrigger

Just read, routine cleaning and vacuuming kill moths and their larvas. BRB...

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Vacuuming what, your suits? That's where they lay the eggs, not the carpet. :confused:

Get yourself some decoy wool before its too late.

7. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Ni

Nice! Enjoy your gardening. :)

8. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

Some thrift finds today:
    [​IMG]
    Ferragamo brogue tassel loafers

[​IMG]
    nwt Paul & Shark
    [​IMG]
    Talbott 7 Fold, Paul Smith, EZ
    [​IMG]
    nwt Bill's linen
    [​IMG]
    Zegna Trofeo flat front trou
    [​IMG]
    nwt Brooks Bros flat front trou

9. barrelntrigger

[​IMG] Naw, I vacuumed the closet and the bedroom floor. I don't think I'm facing an infestation. The clothes moth or at least that's what I THINK I saw was from an article of clothing from my "Ebay folder". I just rechecked my mainline and they are fine.

Thanks for the info but I think I'll just refreeze everything I have in the freezer then seal everything away with some cedar. Will report back. If all fails, I can always go with my all denim back up plan! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. eazye

eazye Senior member

Randy, quick, photo-shop me into a Nautica ad! :D

11. OliT

OliT Senior member

I find a $1000 record for $3.50 and all I get is one reply. Tough audience!

On another totally unrelated note, I'm heading to Denver, CO, in a few weeks and was planning to hit up the Avalance - Hurricanes game. Anyone want to grab a brew before or after, give me a hollar!

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Hockey game sounds fun! I was just in the car listening to the Sharks' game on the radio.... With two Canucks fans in the back seat!

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

That suit is beautiful! :drool:

:bounce2:

Finding a suit owned by Matt Daemon is pretty crazy! Wow!

:D

Synergy! :slayer:

Nice haul! Fay is damn nice stuff and pricey too. Sold at Barneys. That Sulka jacket..... :drool:

Wow!! Score!

That Leaf Hound LP is near the top of my vinyl want list (OG press, of course). If I ever thrift one, I think I'll forever be content with my collection.

Here's a quick pic of my current outfit.

[​IMG]

Sugar Cane, J.Press short-sleeve and Cobot Mills socks. (Missing: J.Crew x Chippewa Homestead Boots)

1 person likes this.
  14. Harvitz81

Harvitz81 Senior member

Anybody on this one???

Passed it up this evening. MOP buttons so figured it might be decent, but can't find any info anywhere.

Will post the haul later.

[​IMG]

15. Harvitz81

Harvitz81 Senior member

So this is the haul this evening from the GW near my house that I only had 20 minutes the prior day to go through. I still didn't finish and left some potential nice items after looking them up that I'm going back for.

Anyway here they are:

Yves Saint Laurent Tweed Jacket - maybe 38-40R
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donegal Magee Tweed - again 38-40R (haven't measured either yet - just eyeball sizing)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Patagonia Organic Chinos, 36

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers tan Chinos, 33/34

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orvis Hiking Pants? size 32

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bespoke Shirt with MOP buttons. Size 16.5 slim-extra slim. This one is mine and fits absolutely perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Similar bespoke with MOP. 16-16.5 slim to extra slim. French Cuff. Initials RL on cuff. Think I can pawn this off as a Ralph Lauren, lol. Fits perfect as well, but not sure I use FC shirts much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were 2 other bespoke, MOP french cuffs I left behind from the same donor. Might go back and grab them, but not sure if they are worth it to flip with no label.

Lorenzini. 16 32/33

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thomas Pink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ted Baker. Looks unworn. 16 32/33

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orvis Super heavy Flanel like shirt. Size M

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left behind a similiar Viyella that I'm going back for tomorrow.

Also ran across 4 Polo Ralph Lauren Blue Label Chinos. Are these worth picking up?

16. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

I decided to play dress up with my mannequin and I solicit your critiques or suggestions on the thrifted outfit before I wear it on myself. Does it work?

In particular- pattern scale (shirt & coat), fiber textures (silk square ok?) and of course, colors. TIA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All thrifted except for sport coat (nSuited flash sale)
    coat: Belvest (wool,mohair,cashmere)
    shirt: Loro piana (cotton)
    tie: Borrelli (cashmere/silk)
    square: Santorelli (silk)

17. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'd much rather see it with a plain blue shirt rather than what you currently have. It's a but busy at the moment, but the colors do say fall. Give it a shot with blue and see what you think.

1 person likes this.
  18. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Oh, and i love that jacket, I just think it gets a bit lost when you have 4 different patterns.

19. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

I was sort of attempting to emulate Stanley Korshak's presentations and if you notice, the green lines in the shirt almost exactly match the subtle green in the coat. But I do see now that it does look quite busy with the number of varying patterns. Thanks for the input.

20. barrelntrigger

Made in Italy, yes. Made in USA, maybe. Made in anywhere else, no. But YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.