1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

They can be... The standard cheap lenses that come with low end systems probably aren't worth the bother unless you need that lens. Non-zoom lenses are generally the best bets, as they tend to have the better glass. Macro lenses are probably the best of those.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Jealous on the Arc'teryx! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Lurk the rest of the thread and you might learn.

4. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

Thrift

5. SpecialK2k12

SpecialK2k12 Senior member

I went back to look for those size 14 AE's and they were gone. Sorry bros, I will keep it in mind for next time.
    I did find some ties though.
    L -> R Giorgio Armani, PINK, Fendi
    Yea, a blue PINK, I thought it was funny anyway.
    [​IMG]

6. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

I would rather have my car. [​IMG]

hmmm...... canon lenses eh?
    [​IMG]

7. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Don't often get into stuff like this, so hoping for some help. Is this pea coat true Navy-issue? And what's up with 16R--I don't even know what gender I'm dealing with. Thanks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

FML

9. SpecialK2k12

SpecialK2k12 Senior member

Probably actual Navy Issue, and yes, it is a woman's overcoat, in, you guessed it, size 16 Regular.

ETA: The number under 16R gives you the NATO Stock Number, which is how the DoD keeps track of all its different parts. Googling it will provide more info than you probably ever wanted.

10. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

At least you don't live in NYC. I've been here a year and haven't come near that type of haul even cumulatively. Apparently I just suck at finding the thrifts...

11. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

sorry,
    [​IMG]

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Figured. But the risk was small, south of five bucks. I never learn...

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I love my car too tho a Mercedes gullwing alloy body would be fine as well. I got a bag o' Canon stuff a while back - think I posted it here but don't remember...body, lenses, auto-winder etc. Nothing close to that Leica score, natch.

14. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Depends on the cut of the suit, how it fits otherwise, and the details. A fit pic would help. I'm guessing there's a couple of pleats in the pants, a fairly low gorge and might be a bit big.

15. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I didn't thrift for clothing for years, because it was impossible to find anything in my size. Since moving to Brooklyn, I've had a little more luck. Last week I found a brown Harris Tweed in my size (43 extra long) in a new thrift shop in Park Slope; this week I found a pair of Facconable with the tags still on for $35, and a used yellow Brooks Brothers grenadine tie for $10, with one small spot near the tip.

16. landscapes

landscapes Well-Known Member

Welcome to the neighborhood. Lots of insanely overpriced vintage stores, mostly lady stuff. I went to the beacons closet in park slope last week and the men's section was pretty embarrassing.

17. landscapes

landscapes Well-Known Member

Oh also found this today. Wish it fit me. Xl and heavy as hell. Also found a really great old saks university shop wool cotton blend obdc that fits like it was made for me. Great roll. :slayer:

[​IMG]

18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

One cool find this evening... Only one stop. [​IMG]

Stetson The Sovereign hat (7 1/4)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I don't disagree -- most of the shops are 5th Avenue are more expensive than the ones I see elsewhere. Part of it, I think, is that there are a lot of young creative types in Brooklyn who frequent thrift shops, so it drives up the prices and reduces the selection of really quality items. I found the Harris Tweed sportcoat at a new place on Sackett, between 3rd and 4th Avenues, a pair of Alden shoes at Monk, on 5th Avenue in South Slope, and the Facconable jeans at Housing Works. Housing Works's "best of fall/spring" events are great; though they're not really thrifting. Their prices at those sale sare quite a bit higher than normal thrift store prices, but the selection is well-curated and many of the items are new.

20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This makes me glad not to live in New York! $10 for a tie with a spot on it? Ties are generally $2 here, unless the shop knows what it has... Usually not! Of course, the GW boutique I went to in SF this weekend had ~8 Hermes ties priced at $42.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.