1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quotientspace

quotientspace Well-Known Member

Holy Shit things blew up over the weekend. Saw Vicuna and then Leica...

I did find some suits, but with later realized the jackets are unvented, almost a bit silly looking, and the grey has two small holes on the inside. I'll probably post some stuff to the trade thread later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

A few minor finds.

PRL 39R vintage

[​IMG]

J Press sack jacket, about a 46R

[​IMG]

Big guy alert: Hickey Freeman blazer in 52L

[​IMG]

All heading to the 'bay

3. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

just picked up a berluti leather jacket and new lobb x paul smith with trees oh and a tom ford coat

1 person likes this.
  4. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

Please put NSFW spoilers next time...my rager just broke my keyboard.

2 people like this.
  5. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

[​IMG]
    A moment of silence for a fallen comrade

1 person likes this.
  6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

^^ That brother lived with no regrets.

1 person likes this.
  7. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

and will now to relegated to a respectable end of life as a gardening and camping shirt
    (I am debating whether to try to patch it or let it die with dignity)

8. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I'm sure I could thrift you a new one this week...

1 person likes this.
  9. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

To soon man, to soon....

3 people like this.
  10. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I actually thought of you when I bought it. I would have sent it to you for actual cost of $12. I checked and saw you were between 44 and 46... When I get around to measuring it, I I'll let you know...

I think the distance from bottom o collar is 34 3/4 or something..

On the HSM, anyone have info on the label?

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Lol, sorry man but I didn't thrift those. They were from a buddy of mine who wants me to consign these items for him. You know what's worst having to drool over a box full of SWnD grail???!!! 2/6 fits me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Bad ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, go thrift the black and white or the diecast limited edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

12. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Find a boutique that decorates old clothes and sell it to them.. Pre-distressed.....all natural...one of a kind...have to see to believe.....

Better yet, drip some coffee on it and have someone claim to see the baby Jesus and then the sky's the limit.....

1 person likes this.
  13. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

im a 42xl depending on other measurements :)

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

On a separate topic, I've noted people posting various Ralph Lauren brands of suits or jackets. The purple label stuff is obvious, but I'm wondering a on the other brands. For example, I have seen made in Canada polo and university lines. I assume that is more desirable than made in Malaysia or wherever...anyone know who the Canadian manufacturers are? I note that Spoo has couple of polo items in his posting for this. Week.

I seem to remember atlnoob saying he occasionally picks up polo RL shirt if it has the horse on the front as the logo seems to sell it.

then there are the Lauren, Ralph Lauren in white, green or whatever colors. I have always thought of green label as the outlet brand, but not sure...

I have been passing on all of it except a tweed that I thought was nice..I would get anything 100% cashmere as well but haven't seen it yet....

When you guys actually pick up RL, which ones make the cut? Same applies to ties and slacks..

15. barrelntrigger

I usually pass on Polo shirts, especially the polo shirts...Never a fan of Bro-wear. Lauren RL, Ralph RL are crap especially the green label. I think som Ralph RL was women wear and some are actually pretty decent quality but those are womenzzzzz so...I only pick up RRL, Polo that were made in Italy, and earlier made in USA ones. However, I do have this bitch'n thick ass Polo made in China chords jacket with all the bells and whistles. It's too long for me so I wear it like an over coat. So in short, only pick up the Purple, Black, Blue labels when it comes to Polo. I believe this topic was discussed a few hundred pages back. [​IMG]

16. barrelntrigger

A big shout out to Almosthandsome for hooking me up with 2 shetland wool caps! I was expecting 2 caps. They came in an large package. I was a bit perplexed when I saw this as why do you need to ship 2 caps in a large box?! The mofo hooked me up with a Daniel C. jacket with Loro Piana fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    NOte to self: Must thrift some thing cool for him...

17. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I see them in the same condition (sometimes slightly better) at GW all the time - you want I should proxy one for you?

As this isn't the eBay thread: I should say I grab decent PRL and BB stuff for myself all the time - PRL for nicer outerwear and interesting plaids / prints on shirts (as opposed to solids / polo shirts), and BB for polo shirts and blazers.

The rest of this is more eBay thread-related:

Personally have not seen straight Polo made in Canada, but nearly all the University stuff I have seen is. No idea on the maker but I thought I read Samuelsohn someplace...or I may be talking out my butt. University I never pick up now but I'm not sure why - the only time I did was a SC that sold for an OK profit / quick flip. Guess it's part of my resolution not to bring home more run-of-the-mill stuff any more.

I do pick up PRL pony shirts in excellent or better condition (which isn't very often), and I save them up to sell in lots which have done better for me than individually. Exception to that is very large sizes - 3XB, 4XLT etc - I list those individually and they do sell for OK ($35, $40, sometimes more - cost is $5 here). For some reason, multi-color ponies sell better than single-color-thread ponies. I also pick up BB shirts with logos - people love their status symbols to show on the outside. Just takes so damn long to find enough in the same size to comprise a lot worth listing.

Green LRL is almost always wimmins stuff though I have seen a handful of men's items. Lower end RL and I never buy it.

Always kop Rugby unless full retail.
    Always grab RRL / double RL.
    Never tried my hand at RLX / RL Sport.
    RL made by Corneliani is a grab (Italian-made SC's & suits).

Black label and purple label used to be an automatic grab if new on clearance at Marshalls etc, but not all of it is made in Italy any longer - gotta check the tags first.

I'll grab a PRL tie made in Italy any day - have not seen an ugly one yet though I'm sure they exist. Don't do slacks myself.

On the subject of Ralph Lauren, he was featured in last month's (or maybe prior) issue of Architectural Digest, to which I have a subscription but never open or read...his was a "inside the private life of..." sort of piece and I'm tempted to rip the plastic off and read just how insanely wealthy he is. Either that or leave the plastic on and sell the issue on eBay for ten bucks.

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I had a great day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bunch of good stuff ill post pics of when i get them all shot but notably

a tower of cashmere, all made in scotland, all cashmere or wool, all awesome
    [​IMG]

NATAKU - what am i looking at, anything? Its the oldest damn Pendleton label Ive ever seen. giant opal buttons, wool gabardine, true western shirt
    [​IMG]

DENIM PEOPLE - anything? Stack of deadstock Levis in an ultra soft chambray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

garage art
    [​IMG]

went gaga for this
    [​IMG]

can anyone identify the animal? This thing is HUGE. Going to look awesome in the office.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

OK. Because I was asked and only because I was asked. Hickey Freeman Boardroom, fully canvassed.

didn't realize there were so many of you tall guys here on the forum. 42xl with 35 pants (outseam was 45+")

thought for a minute I had screwed up and was using centimeters.. single vent, double pleats. Just PM me for any details.

[​IMG]

20. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

thrift fit Thrift Fit THRIFT FIT!

Dig that applause sign and skull. Great finds all around.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.