1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

Not having too much luck lately but I did manage to find this among a sea of outdated and polyester ties...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

few questions...
    1) this is a 7 fold correct?
    2) if you look at the last picture, the fold seems to be uneven (causing the tie, from the front, to be asymmetrical). Does anyone know how I can get that fixed??

1 person likes this.
  2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Looks like a four fold from here...

3. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

ah okay...thanks!

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I might have the actually number wrong, but seven fold ties are pretty obvious when you see them. I handled a few yesterday at the Rack.

5. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

It's at least a 6, and I understand sometimes the seventh is too high beneath the tack to see.

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Ok, gets, I wish I thrifted these but I'm actually consigning these for my buddy...I'm so tempted to cop the black/grey hounds tooth shirt...Shit, I might just buy them all from him!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Harvitz81

Harvitz81 Senior member

Been following this thread for awhile now and this is my first post. Decided to spend the day thrifting with my somewhat limited knowledge, but this thread has certainly helped (only been following for the past 1000 posts or so).

Anyway, here goes.

Couple of Magee Donegal Tweed Jackets. Found together, both 44L. Both fit decent based on my quick fit in the store (I'm usually a 46L).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Followed that up with a couple Harris Tweeds. Both to small for me and haven't measure the sizes yet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure about these, but picked them up anyway. Really heavy wool - almost tweed like. Size 36 and too big for me. Bernard Zins Made in France.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More I don't know about, but these fit me well so i decided to grab them. Size 34s. 1st are made in Italy, 2nd in the UK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came across this suit and thought I had something.

[​IMG]

But then saw this.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And....
    Coincidentally I found the orphaned pants later while browsing that sections. Happened to fit me so I picked them up. Sucked about the Jacket though as I think with just an arm lengthen I could have made it work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a couple shirts and only one tie not worth posting.
    Borelli and BB shirts
    Talbott tie that looked new.

Passed on this Corneliani suit for $40. Didn't see any issues, but didn't look too hard as it wasn't my size. Something worth going back for?

Horrible phone picture I know...

[​IMG]

All in all it was a blast!

Looking forward to the next outing.

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  10. HansderHund

Looks awesome! Great fall colors!
    I believe this blue one is fake.
    Thanks and thank you for the info about the Oxxfords. I didn't see any reference to a jacket or drop, but I thought the color was fine standalone. Thanks again!
    I know it's been mentioned before, but please use the spoiler function when you quote someone. A nice picture was posted recently to demonstrate it, but you basically highlight the text that you'd like to hide and then click the small bubble in the editor. Another option is to highlight it and use SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!][/SPOILER on either side of the text (make sure to close them with [ and ]). It's not a huge deal, but it's just frustrating when you're reading on a mobile and have to scroll through the same 12 photos to read a one line comment. Thanks!

11. HansderHund

Quick Gift Exchange update...

We have 41 members participating! Cut off for sign-ups is on October 1st! If you'd like to join in, please get in touch with me. I know a few guys were trying to get their post count high enough to participate, but I haven't received a PM from you with the relevant information. For instructions, please see my announcement post (or, if you're feeling a bit lazy, just PM me).

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Don't forget the Leica AND Vicuna. What a helluva week! Also, Just a friendly reminder to use spoilers, please, esp when quoting. Edit: A few recent finds: I don't always pick up Bert Pulitzer, but when I do it's true Madras in awesome colors. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New & Lingwood [​IMG] Found these [​IMG] Inside of these (Bally; my size and keeping) [​IMG] Church's CG. Trees were extra, but not much [​IMG] Also found a pair of blackwatch flat front vintage trou. Havent measured, but they will be available.

13. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Barrel, when did you walk into a thrift full of flat head???? [​IMG]

can i go too? [​IMG]

anyway, i have been absent for a few weeks and felt it was time to check in. with another automatic Seiko.
    [​IMG]

ha! sideways. sorry. it's a Seiko 5 "Actus" ss. 23 jewels. not sure of the year. looks nice though.
    plus another odd waistcoat. and 2 snowboards for the wife and myself to enjoy this winter. [​IMG]

14. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Oh, and some "Pop Culture" for our generation. and a personal grail of mine.
    [​IMG]

ULTRA MAGNUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! came with the box too. hey, this is a "Mantique" . and i am very happy with my thrift grail.[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Thanks Wes for the awesome Dale Of Norway sweater! Thrift fit will come once the weather cools down enough!

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ That just made me want to go to the toy aisle.

2 people like this.
  17. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

What a page of posts. Can't decide if I should go out expecting thrift synergy or just screw it knowing that I'd be disappointed in whatever made in Indonesia PRL crap I found!

Awesome finds guys, just awesome!

18. DanM

DanM Senior member

I will be adding Mantique as a category in my ebay store. :) Also, awesome find. I had an Ultramagnus from a later series, not nearly as cool your find.

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Mantique! Love it...

The roots of my thrifting obsession can be traced back about 25 years to when my mom donated my collection of ESB and ROTJ figures and vehicles.

Someone scored big off that.

20. stevenkmason

stevenkmason Senior member

If only those were 44 or 46 XL! XL does exist and is very needed. Any chance those 42's are cut verrrry full?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.