1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

OK, I don't thrift often, but I had a half hour between meetings and was having lunch with a guy just down from the store. Photo's are iPhone snaps so sorry the quality isn't better.

Not sure these shoes are a great pickup (would appreciate input from you shoe guys). I know Barney's has a number of British Manufacturers, but these are made in italy. They have vibram soles made to look like dainite.

Bottom line, very good condition and size 11 which happens to fit me. Just need a good polish. So if they don't sell, I'll keep.

[​IMG]

And though I don't remember ever wearing tweed, to support Wes's initiative, a Harris Tweed herringbone blazer. Size 39S.

[​IMG]

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

3. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

+1 most of the things I wear now aren't from thrift stores (although I'm always happy when I remember something I'm wearing is), but a lot of the principles I picked up from the thread inform my shopping now, like patience, recognizing quality and of course buying shit I don't need just because it's cheap.

Oh you don't say... what's the inseam on the MMMs?

Amazing! Have literally been wanting one of these since I was like 8.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Vintage Southwick Houndstooth Tweed

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Theory Velvet Patch Pocket Sport Coat
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  5. tubs

tubs Senior member

Several months ago I created a google drive (docs) spreadsheet that contains sizing and trading preference information for a bunch of members from this thread. The spreadsheet can be used to match the found items with the sizing of a thread regular. The spreadsheet also minimizes the amount of time spent discussing sizes, brand preferences and wants when trading among regulars. You can access the sheet on the fly from a smartphone by installing google drive.

If you would like to add your info to the spreadsheet, PM me an email address and I will share the google doc with you.

If you already have info in the sheet, please take a moment to make sure the info is current.

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Sounds like a first world problem to me! [​IMG]

Wish this fit me. I'd feel bad flipping since I know who it came from and all. So if a 40R wants to get at me with a trade let me know.
    WTF!!!!!!!!!?????????????
    [​IMG]

I prolly shouldn't on the Belvest...But asked anywayzzzzzz...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. barrelntrigger

Holy shit!!! Boardwalk Empire, season 4 started a few weeks ago???!!! WTF!!! Late to the party...[​IMG]

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Lol I'm still trying to catch up on past seasons on my HBO GO...can't wait

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:drool: :slayer:
    Wow! Simply amazing!! :slayer:

10. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

I need an authenticity check on a super gaudy "Versace Jeans Couture" camp shirt with an oversized logo on the back. I'm leaning towards fake as the tag seams off, along with no content tag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

[​IMG] That is a thing of beauty!

12. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

Picked up my favorite discount find. A cotton Belvest for Neiman Marcus 3 roll 2, dual vent, flat front suit at the Last Call here for $90.00. I have about another 3 weeks of 90+ degree weather to wear it. I emailed Belvest and Neiman Marcus to try to get the sleeve buttons as the pack was missing with no luck. Her is the suit from an eBay listing (not mine):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BELVEST...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

In looking at the listing, it says it has "Unfinished Buttonless Sleeves" Is that a thing? I thought most new suits come with the buttons to be sewed on after alterations are done. If so, any ideas on where to get my hands on some. The jacket buttons have "Belvest" engraved on to them.

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I would assume that "unfinished buttonless sleeves" implies that they need to be finished by a tailor. I've seen suits without buttons on the cuff and they do look strange, in my opinion. Even if the suit were designed to be without them, I'd probably add them. I'd just go to my tailor and have them all replaced.

14. landscapes

landscapes Well-Known Member

This is so awesome. Get at me if you.want to part with it. I do FMA and that would be a great thing to have.

15. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

True. I just dig the Belvest buttons. Either way I'm probably not going to be able to find spare Belvest buttons. That just gives me a chance to pick out some super rare Black Rhino Horn buttons or something rare and illegal like that to complement the Belvest [​IMG]

16. barrelntrigger

I've purchased a 2 piece Billy Reid Heritage suit from a member on here. It's NWT and came with unfinished cuffs. It had all the buttons in the pockets. I haven't gotten a chance to get them tailored and cuffs cut yet.

17. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

They had 2 Billy Reid tweed sport coats on clearance. Just waiting for the price to come down.

18. HansderHund

I just took a look at the ebay listing, and the sleeves definitely need buttons. You can go the more pricey route and make them functional, but I wouldn't personally spend the money. If you have a true tailor that does bespoke work nearby, ask them for button suggestions. My tailor has about anything I'd want and does a great job selecting something based on color, material, etc. You'll pay a bit more than ordering them online, but it's probably worthwhile to give the small amount of business to someone local.

19. HansderHund

I just added a few names to the 2013 Thrift Thread Gift Exchange...up to 31!

20. barrelntrigger

Ah sweet! What size are they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.