• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the person who bought the 3 piece RLPL navy suit at the Marshall's in SF .... I will hunt you down!! I'm seriously so pissed they sold this when they said they'd hold it for me (1 day).

FML

tonylamer

Reaction score
Found a couple of things today. My camera died, so excuse the horrible phone pics.

'60s Crombie Highland tweed topcoat. Fully canvassed, and nice colours (despite the awful pictures. It's actually red, black, and blue). I've never seen a gun club topcoat. I don't know whether to keep it and spend the $100 on tailoring it really slim and cool, or offer it up. (Rhetorically: Do I need 4 topcoats?):

Tweedy Samuelsohn Glen-plaid suit w/ ticket pocket and horn buttons. Heavy winter-weight wool. It's MTM, 41R/35, which is close enough that I can justify spending the $100+ on tailoring. But also available if anyone's interested.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I never knew until today (thanks to that thriftstorerunway site) that this week is National Thrift Week. However this makes perfect sense and explains a whole lot, since my birthday is this week (Saturday). I have been a thrift store shopper since I was about 8 years old, when my grandmother took me to the SA where she worked for the first time.

Excited to hit 3 or 4 of my favorite spots back home this weekend.

Anyway, I though I would share my birthday card with you all since I know you will get a kick out of it. Given to be by someone who knows me pretty well.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Just finished the pictures on this, havnt even listed it yet but too excited not to post. Prob my fav Brooks Brothers jacket thrifted to date. Wish it fit.

This is called a sheperds check, right?

To the person who bought the 3 piece RLPL navy suit at the Marshall's in SF .... I will hunt you down!! I'm seriously so pissed they sold this when they said they'd hold it for me (1 day).

FML
tongue.gif

Just kidding, what was it marked down to?

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I never knew until today (thanks to that thriftstorerunway site) that this week is National Thrift Week. However this makes perfect sense and explains a whole lot, since my birthday is this week (Saturday). I have been a thrift store shopper since I was about 8 years old, when my grandmother took me to the SA where she worked for the first time.

Excited to hit 3 or 4 of my favorite spots back home this weekend.

Anyway, I though I would share my birthday card with you all since I know you will get a kick out of it. Given to be by someone who knows me pretty well.

rotflmao.gif

Thrift fit.

This is my prince charming Hilfiger! The sleeves are a bit too long but it's a casual shirt so I can roll it up! This is tagged L but fits like a M. Can you say high fashion?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As promised to my boy, Troika. Here's the thrift fit of the recent Zegna he hooked me up. Hmmm, it needs a steaming...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with 1 Like No Other shirts from the UK? This one is hand-numbered as 1 of 500, limited release.

Last edited:

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boglioli diffusion. Nice stuff.

I don't think it's diffusion, at least that's what boglioli is saying about the line (like a brand would say a line is diffusion...)
COAT is Boglioli's casual line. Boglioli makes ETRO's suits/jackets.

More like this, after spending some time lurking various threads on various forums, I'm actually more confused than when I started. I think COAT does more traditional SCs, whereas K is their washed/distressed line
You know that's a a Boglioli, right?!?! :slayer:

Oh hell yes. The seller had listed on the brand portion "COAT", and was obviously interested as to what I had to say because, well, I'm a terrible liar and you can read me like a book so when I very excitedly came up to the counter he had a lot to ask about the maker. Pics:

Check out the fabric, totally not visibile until you're breathing on it.

Shout to GMMcL for telling me to memorize the HOF thread the other day, definitely came in handy in a cell phone dead zone. The only problem I have with it is, well, the height of the notches. Do any of you remember PTO's lapel gorge height guide (http://putthison.com/post/23483570213/consider-the-gorge-trends-are-a-funny-thing)? Um, yes, these definitely are in the Higher - Ridiculous range.

other pick up:

google image search for "spoo signal" since I don't have it saved :embar:

This is much nicer than photos seem to be able to show - the stripes are woven open, they look more like they are crocheted than anything else, so the stripes on the shirt are essentially vents. Awesome. little tiny open woven grandmother blankets to keep you cool on a hot summers day.

Last edited:

sn0wman

Reaction score
I dig the Samuelsohn there - looks great! Shame it is only a 41R.. or shame that I'm a 44L.. :)

Tweedy Samuelsohn Glen-plaid suit w/ ticket pocket and horn buttons. Heavy winter-weight wool. It's MTM, 41R/35, which is close enough that I can justify spending the $100+ on tailoring. But also available if anyone's interested.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sn0wman

Reaction score
Thinking about the earlier posts about wooden hangers:

I was wandering through a thrift store today and came across a number of these unusual contraptions - Italian made wooden trousers hangers. I suppose the felt is to keep wood stain from bleeding onto the fabric? Never seen these before, but the engineer in me kind of digs it. Anyone ever use these? Do you put the cuffs in the "clamp" or do you fold them in half and leave an inch of material above the clamp to avoid unsightly creases?

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I was going to post something, but I think I'll wait until the dust settles.

sn0wman

Reaction score
Holy cow.. that is stinkin' amazing (poop reference intended). Hoping that some of those are a 44L... :)

Hello SF, Please excuse the pics, I think my Baby is teething. So I have to Rush to do everything these days.
Some are thrifted, some on consignment, and some are from Pasadena CA. Yard sales

I just picked up some more poop, LOL
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads