1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's perfectly fine to post pics of them and say "these don't work for me, if anyone wants them..." No one should have a problem with that.

The rest should be left to PM's. I mean, dude, you even spelled out what forms of payment you accept.

1 person likes this.
  2. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Dude, just stop. It's fine to offer something up, but keep it simple and subtle ("available if anyone wants it"...not a catalog-style writeup) and related to the thread (ie, a brag-worthy thrift/discount find).

No—remove it because it doesn't belong here. Calling people condescending for calling you out for a repeat offense, especially after several people already explained the issue to you before, won't win you any friends.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I think the issue is that you keep posting things here for sale. I'm new as well, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but the impression I get is that this thread is for thrift finds, and, maybe, trading thrift finds, but you should never offer to sell anything in this thread. There are other threads specifically for that purpose. This is my guess, PD. And I've been reprimanded for asking questions that I thought were pretty close to being on topic as well.

** I may be out of line with I say that you "keep posting things here for sale". I don't know that you've done it more than once, but I do know that the internet, and particularly forums are unforgiving mistresses.

1 person likes this.
  4. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Threads more of a community. When I see someone here like Cap or Brian post in the ebay thread, I think "Hey it's cap/Brian from the thrift thread". I'm quite new too and I struggled with finding the right way to post and right content to post but I'm slowly getting into the grove of things. Threads been educational as fuck on what to pick up, and such. Talking about selling, noting availability, etc are small things. Your write-ups are basically ebay posts in the thread itself, which heavily deviates from the threads spirit. I get my questions or posts ignored often, but a bump here or there isn't a big deal. People usually don't check the forum every minute/hour so they'll miss a few pages and skim.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

4 people like this.
  6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

^ Class-A example of how to respond to criticism, learn from it, and go on to become a productive member kingpin of the thrift thread.

7. jgeldner

jgeldner Well-Known Member

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Lucchese Boots....For the Ladies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woolrich Down Puffer, man I wish this was another RMFB
    [​IMG]

Orvis Down Puffer
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Loro Piana Storm System
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB Braces
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

J Press tie, which will be also shown in another thread in a couple weeks......[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nordstrom Camelhair Plaid
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orvis Cord
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Triple Patch linen, looks like black denim.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage Southwick Suit, sans labels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harris Tweed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers SC - Italy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old Label Hickey Freeman Camel Hair Hopsack Tweed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harris Tweed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VTG Tweed Sack
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

this is one of the reasons i enjoy this thread. stand up guy for showing that he too had to learn the hard way.

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

In the field in Seattle and trying to find the two-story thrift store I thought was a Goodwill--the store near Dearborn isn't it. I remember it from long ago. Tubs? Anyone?

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If you think that was a little embarrassing.....look how bad my pics were on what I was trying to peddle that day.

12. tubs

tubs Senior member

Quote:I replied by PM.

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Goodwill Seattle near Dearborn
    1400 S Lane St.
    Seattle, WA 98144

There is a SA at the end of Dearborn off of 4th Ave as well. That is about all I can remember.
    1010 4th Avenue South
    Seattle, WA 98134

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Still better than my current setup

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Thanks guys. I love this thread.

16. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

When I was there over the summer the GWs had a TON of good stuff, but priced much of it accordingly (high end shirts in the BTQ section were $25, jackets were $50+), but if you want some great Facconable made by Incotex pants, it's the place to be, for obvious Nordy reasons.

17. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

found at Marshalls. Unlabeled ties.

[​IMG]

The tag for the green is on the left. $60 and $40, respectively. Any ideas as to the true identities? Both were 7-folds.

I realize now I should have taken pics of the tags on the ties and not just the price tags. Oh, well.

[​IMG]

18. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

There's also a two story VV in Seattle.

19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

20. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I think there are two major things that you have done repeatedly that has annoyed quite a few people (I almost blocked you a few days ago). First you were posting common stuff, like ecco shoes, non-shell J&M and Bostonians, and London Fog raincoats. These are a dime a dozen and are nothing to brag about, just as an exercise when I was in my GW the other day I counted 37 London Fog raincoats. Don't be embarrassed about what you pick up, but we don't need a blow by blow of every single thing you do during your day (even though I have been guilty of this as well). It feels too much like those mothers on Facebook who give you an intimate account of potty training their child. Don't care and I don't want to know about it!

Second, you really need to learn to use the Spoiler functionality. You have replied to gigantic posts with the entire post just to say thank you instead of spoilering the 99% of it you were not replying to. Also if you have noticed, most people will post 1 picture of an item and spoiler more detailed shots, while you were posting 6 or 7 shots of the same item with no spoiler.

Finally, nobody is beating on you personally they are just trying to moderate the thread so everyone new doesn't blow up the thread. I hope you continue to post, I love this thread and read it off and on all day long so the more people posting interesting stuff the better.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.