1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

look real from here. luxury vintage is the new diffusion line, but its quality is probably still at or above the level of many recognized names, like thomas pink (for shirts) and that tier of quality.
    nice find, imho.

2. PointDexter2014

PointDexter2014 Senior member

I am wondering if these items meet the basic post worthy requirements.

Armani Collezioni Luxury
    [​IMG]

PRL Madras
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ferragamo Pebble Grain
    [​IMG]

Alden
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

J&M Crown Aristocraft Black 8.5D (Vintage)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. freshnewbeats

freshnewbeats Active Member

4. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Good work Dexter...and in your defense, those Ecco loafers will probably bring more on Ebay than 3/4 of the Allen Edmonds posted here; assuming they were cheap thrift prices, it was probably a good pickup.

5. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Yes to the madras shirt and Aldens.

The thing that you have to understand about this thread is that although some of us go to stores looking for cool stuff to wear and sell, we don't want to think of ourselves as the shady guys with carts piled high thumbing through racks of women's pants looking for something to flip for $5. Focus more on quality rather than quantity and you'll be fine.

And don't buy ties. This thread can't taken another '90s Talbott tie. And, like airplane maintenance, thrifting ties should be left strictly to trained personnel.

6. astrocyte

astrocyte Well-Known Member

Mind explaining why ties are a bad buy? I'm not "in the game" at all but I'm just curious as an observer. It seems like high-end used ties command pretty good prices on eBay, the margins are high, and you don't have to worry about difficult measurements and sizing like you would for selling suit or even a shirt.

7. troika

troika Senior member

I know how it is. Just do it already. Or go to self edge and get fitted in store.

8. dhazard

dhazard Well-Known Member

VERY quick goodwill run today. Didn't do too bad. Hooray for being a fifth year senior in college....25% off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Thrift synergy"^^^ (thank you Ken P) PRL NWOT Madras shirt... literally looks like it has never been worn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ballantyne designed by Stefano Ricci.. Double hit!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charvet shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First time I have ever found Rugby...Men's or Women's? It buttons like a mens shirt but is a size 4?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...and who doesn't love a little Canali Super 120's?

9. troika

troika Senior member

PMd

Probly gonna be too big, thanks though.

10. DanM

DanM Senior member

IMHO, the J&M and Armani are the only ones that should have been left out, although both are fine for personal use. If you're planning on flipping/trading, mind mentioning what size those Aldens are? (11E? [​IMG])

Anyway, on to my questions. Aside from the pickups I posted about earlier, I found that several suits and sportcoats with the label shown below were still on the rack. Is this anything good? I've never seen it before.

[​IMG]

Also, this was probably a mistake to pickup, given that the lapels are large enough that a strong gust of wind from the right direction get get the wearer airborne, but given the label and extremely low price, I had to pick it up. Any idea as to age?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's not really a Paul Stuart from 1947, right?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  11. PointDexter2014

PointDexter2014 Senior member

Thx for the feedback. The Alden's are Sz 9.5D. First pair I've come across thrifting here in Dallas. I do have a pair of AE loafers in Sz 11.5D.

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Horrible, those Alden's. I'll take the off your hands though. ;)

13. freshnewbeats

freshnewbeats Active Member

Haha. Today I caught a glimpse of this first-hand: in a GW, I found a super-recent Canali glenplaid jacket, and after scouring the racks, couldn't find the pants. The tag indicated it was part of this week's haul. Thinking it may have been put out that very morning, and the pants were about to follow, I posted up near where they put the rack as it comes out of the back, because another one was on its way.

It was a savage tasteless feeding frenzy! Old-ass men with carts piled high, elbowing each other out of the way to be the first to grab that pair of Walmart sneakers. I totally had such a bad taste in my mouth as I head-faked the one old Gerry with a pair of NWT Haggar khakis and kneecapped the other with an imitation chinese Coach purse filled with old tom clancy paperbacks just to be the first guy to determine that no, the matching pants were not on that rack, either. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

2 people like this.
  14. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

There's over 80,000 posts to see how and what people post on this thread. If you post not spectacular items, then half of the Wikipedia entry on them, and then double post spam, do you expect people to not be annoyed by you?

Don't get butt hurt about it. It's the way of the interwebs. Now you know.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Fake.

Real!

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Of course agreed with that, but
    I do fairly well with BB for most of the time...Polo too.
    If Im paying under five for a BB or Polo tie, I take the risk every time. Talbott, not so hot but still something. Funny enough, it seems like I sell BB better than Zegna.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  18. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I think the exception to this is staple patterns. I do really well with Repp ties.

19. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

There are exceptions to every rule. I had 5 or six of these, but can't find the listings anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Lesson here? Pick up ridiculous looking RTBOC ties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.