The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Found two cool vintage sweater vests. Both are probably from the late 60's.

One really sharp Alan Paine in light gray lambswool, size 40. I never thought I would wear a sweater vest any time soon, but this one is really really cool - nice trim fit.

The other is a dark camel colored Pringle lambswool number, size 42 so it is a little too big for me. I will probably flip it on the forum or on Ebay.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^ VM, I think I have that exact same Alan Paine sweater vest, picked it up about a month ago for around $3. I really like it.

Edit: Just went back and found the post from 4 weeks ago. I paid $1.50 for. Here's the pic of that day's haul again with the Paine:

[​IMG]

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Alan,

Wow, how funny is that:

[​IMG]

Thrift Brothers 'til the end! [​IMG]

4. nighttrain7404

nighttrain7404 Senior member

Actually guys/gals...

I've not gone the thrift store route, but almost all of my high end items were attained from discount stores.

I always reference their retail price when I mention them, but more often than not I paid 50% or less than those quoted.

It's more interesting to be able to get the quality and pay much less than you have to for them....

Discount stores like Loehmanns, Marshalls, TJmaxx, etc etc...can surprise you.

5. simpli

simpli Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sweater isn't in that great of shape, but it's always nice to have a beater cashmere sweater to chop wood / go to bed in [​IMG] . Love the Etro tie though, it's just crazy looking. Total spend: 6.97

Near find of the day was a pinstriped brooks brothers golden fleece super 120's, with working buttonholes... but the pants were nowhere to be found and it just wouldn't of worked as an odd jacket [​IMG]

6. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Two ties from the local Salvation Army. Both are apparently unworn and are in perfect condition. Armani on the left, Ike Behar on the right. $1 each.
    [​IMG]

7. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Member

One unusual item today: a coat from Gaultier's notorious 1993 Hasidic-inspired collection. This caused a big stink at the time, for numerous reasons: he used tefillin (phylacteries) as decorative elements, styled women with forelocks, etc.

Anyway, this coat is mighty odd: In rough grey wool, unconstructed, patch pockets on hip and breast, no buttons or button holes except one in the high, narrow lapel. Kimono sleeves, lined in striped cotton. Living near thousands of Hasidim in Williamsburg, I can tell you that I have no idea what this has to do with their style of dress.

But the label does spell his name in Hebrew letters:

[​IMG]

The Hebrew says Jean Paul all right but not "Gaultier". Unless Gaultier is not his name in Hebrew. Is he Jewish? The Hebrew uses the wrong letters: at a guess is spells "Gartiq" and only if you assume the second Hebrew letter is "R" and it looks more like a final "K" so that his family name reads more like Gauk Tiq (Gothic? But in two syllables). Perhaps the tailor who fashioned the name tag had the last laugh as it caused such a rumpus?

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I found a nice vintage 3-roll-2 overcoat at the Salvation Army in Gaithersburg, Md (DC suburb). It is grey wool with canvas construction. I have no idea how old it is but it has narrow lapels and a lightly built shoulder. Half lined and 3/4 length makes it real nice for days that cashmere would be overkill. It has store tag DJ Kaufman, Washington DC and the pocket tag says the same but with Lot and Size left blank. I thought maybe it was MTM. It was certainly made for the store which no longer exists.

Edit
    cuffed sleeves and patch pockets also.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

[​IMG]

The Etro tie is cool. I've liked the Etro ties I've come across thrifting.

10. drays4life

drays4life Active Member

I have to say, seeing you guys pick up all of this great stuff is excrutiating

i have been thrifting for several years now, and i dont think i have a single thing worth mentioning.

I literally sift through every rack, every piece of clothing, and snobbishly enough, i check out every label.

I have been to many value villages which i find are the easiest to sort through, but prices are generally obsurd

I went to a local goodwill and the store was so disorganized i couldnt even be bothered looking for more than a couple minutes

are you guys sorting through horrible, disorganized stores to find those gems? are any of these items (which seem to average in price at about a dollar) found at value villages?

I want to thrift and be successful, i want to graduate from the tshirts and jeans, and i want to do it affordably

any tips are welcome [​IMG]

This is my first post, but I am a fellow thrifter and figured that this was as good a time as any to take the plunge. I live in the midwest and have found some good stuff at Value Village including an Oxxford suit and overcoat and lots of nice shirts. I find that you definately need to locate the right area. My best Value Village location is about 2-3 miles from a Saks and high end fashion mall, but the store is actually right on the edge of a lower class neighborhood, so the majority of people don't know what they are looking at. You are right --- Value Village is getting absurd on suits nearing $30 sometimes, but I still can find stuff once it goes half off. Also, definately develop your touch---its amazing how fast and accurate you can be just by feeling a rack of shirts or suits. Also, Goodwills are better than Value Village usually because more affluent people are likely to donate because its for a good cause. Thats just my experience. Of course, its also possible that you live near me and I'm the one stealing all the good stuff! [​IMG]

11. kmwrestle

kmwrestle Senior member

Was at TJ Max
    got a ted baker tie for 19.99

got a Michael kors for 9.99. still had the origional tag of like 98.00. This had a diff label (darker brown) than the other michael kors ties they had and the orig retail was like 2x the normal michael kors ties. They had 2 ofthe exact same tie. One had a price on it...tj max price of 30, the other had no tag, i got the one with no tag and the lady just wrang it up using the tag off the cheaper michael kors tie. which label is this?

12. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

While picking up AE's for various members at Last Chance today, I found myself a pair of Frye Brando Engineer boots for $49.99...

Tobacco colored and look to be brand new... must have been the wrong size or style because these have pretty clearly never been worn...

[​IMG]

13. crimedog

crimedog New Member

Been lurking for a bit, looking for advice on a new suit. Picked this up on eBay this week for $60. Feel like I lucked out as there was nothing in the listing describing it as a Golden Fleece. It even fits almost exactly right without an alterations. Might need to get the sleeves a touch shorter, but otherwise I am pretty pleased with my luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Could be a great deal. Cole Haan Made in England pebble grain Chukkas. Rubber sole of some sort (described as "waffle stomper type"). Either barely worn or worn with insoles. $46 shipped.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Could be a great deal. Cole Haan Made in England pebble grain Chukkas. Rubber sole of some sort (described as "waffle stomper type"). Either barely worn or worn with insoles. $46 shipped.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Nice. Shipped from who, where? Do tell more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.