1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

80K countdown.... Won't have time for pics of yesterday's haul until tomorrow. For the moment, I leave you with this. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] PRL/Cornaliani Borrelli Zegna wool/silk blend (Eddievedder) Noname wool square (RETAIL -- GASP!! I even paid FULL price; no sale!) Coach Vintage Kilgour Panthy PRL by C&J shell Chesterfield is HF custom made for one of their sales guys who consigns locally

5 people like this.
  2. concealed

concealed Senior member

Drink Good Beer.

3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

GMMcL, I'm going to cry with envy a little bit every time you wear that jacket. The chesterfield covert coat (FTFY) is awesome, too.

2 people like this.
  4. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Heh, same store where I ran into one of you a month ago (damaged oxxford) there's a guy loudly discussing flipping on his phone. Knew a lot of names but sounded... I dunno not on point about it. Clothes were a similar sort to a month ago too. great BBGF SC in my size.... But big hole in the arm. 4 staple blue Paul Stuart's.... All with dmg and super small to boot. Coule more to go, wanna find something as its been a while

5. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Cross-posted to Vintage thread.

My wife's friend sent this on to me. The first half is some guying getting a bespoke suit made but the second half (at about the 25 min mark) is an old Jewish cutter from NYC and his time in the trade before and after WWII, mostly serving entertainers. Really fascinating. MTM suits were $21.50 and then charges went up from there for extras (pick stitching, silk thread button holes, etc).

http://www.cbc.ca/livingoutloud/index.html
    The episode is called Men of the Cloth.

6. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

@capnwes I wanna hang out sometime

I dropped off a lot of vintage knit ties that I won off eBay two or three years ago. I don't think I ever wore them, so it was time for them to go. Trade in wound up being equal to a waxed CP company jacket :)

Uploader isn't working... Pics to come.

1 person likes this.
  7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hoping to orchestrate a Chicago business/pleasure trip in the next year.

8. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Just don't drive in the Chicago river - it's only recently been upgraded from toxic.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Just googled a chesterfield and now understand the correction. I hadn't appreciated that a true chesterfield was so specific a thing. As always, Org, I've learned something new and interesting from you.

As for the jacket, thanks and iknowbroiknow. Some qualified good news: Based on my calculations of several factors, including just how much my closet overfloweth with tweed and fall/winter SCs, I could conceivably only torture you with that jacket one or two more times this season.

10. suited

suited Senior member

Such a great jacket.

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I copped it off of Vente Privee's recent LVC sale for $189 shipped. Not the best price but I got the last Medium!!! [​IMG] Winter coat, CHECK!

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Well, she's not a big fan of the expressionist art...Errr, or whatever you call it. Also, the name on the piece had an extra "h"...[​IMG] Oh well! I'm going to hang it up anyways! Thanks, again!!!

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh...she doesn't have an H in her name? Shit, man. Now I just feel like a dick. No wonder she doesn't like it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Thrifted my first shell shoes!
    Might be goin to Japan, 7.5c...well see.

15. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Picked up some Ferragamo Loafers that are 7.5D. Won't even fit my girlfriend

16. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

pmed

17. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Gents, excellence in this thread as usual. I will try to post some of my finds soon and get back to those people that have been waiting for PMs from me for a long time (sorry!)

But I thought I'd share a message I got from one of my customers. I've been under an incredible amount of stress lately and this really made my day:

"My father had a jacket from Willis & Geiger, which I believe he bought it in late 1930s, early 1940. It was dark brown. When I told him I was leaving the country (Cuba) because the new regime of Castro and coming to the US, he gave me the jacket. Two days before my departure, member of the Cuban government came to my house to reposes all my belongings except, 2 shirts, 2 pair of underwear 2 pair of socks and two slacks. Even when I claimed that I needed the jacket in winters in the US, they told me I could buy another, knowing that no one was allowed to take even $ 1.00 out of the country. Now having this jacket is in a way a memory to my father. By the way, I'm 75 years old. Thank you for giving me this possibility."

:)

13 people like this.
  18. tben

tben Senior member

Can't remember how to work this. The spoiler function is giving me troubles. First time I've been out in 3 months. I picked up seajens RLPL haul scraps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]