1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

^
    My torso manniquin had a tendency to lean too. But I think it gives the shots some cool, laid back swagger.

:thumbs-up:

2 people like this.
  2. dhazard

dhazard Well-Known Member

Haha, I can't stand the way it leans. However, it was in the trash at the retail store I work at so I could not pass it up!

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

[​IMG]

Brioni, Oxxford, Isaia, Unicorn

Brioni Cords
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oxxford Suit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isaia Shirt

[​IMG]

Unicorn Cords

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest:

Armani shirt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slim fit BB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't find this one, this was a gift from Ocooney when we ran into each other at the Goodwill. I had just pulled the Brioni and Zegna cords when I saw him and right after I pulled a Zegna Sport Chinos in his size. I let him have those, then he pointed me at the J Press suit below.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Truzzi linen shirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J Press Presidential suit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Zegna cords
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zanella
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Zegna Tie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47 T-Shirts @ 1/2 off .49¢ ($11.52) for my wife's dog toys (My puppy loves cloth and if he doesn't have one of these he chews everything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunhill pants that I posted about last week with no pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burberry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brooks Brothers Orphan pants (No tag, just name on button)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

here's a few finds today. haven't posted here much so go easy on me guys. i know some of you guys haul these all of the time but i was pretty stoked to find these. anyone know if thats just a tag from a ferragmo store? i think that Hermes is real from what i've read on the thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

also found something interesting today. a dunhill with valentino buttons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  5. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Opened up my closet and found a box I didn't know I had.

Inside? 2 Naked selvedge jeans, shipley halmos jeans, dries pants, zanella uni's, brioni suit.

LOL

2 people like this.
  6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

That's a nice box to find.

(Yes, I see it.)

Yes.

TROUSER EXPERIMENT REPORT

Anyone who has ever thrifted used men's pants knows the shock, awe and disappointment of finding awesome light grat flannel flat fronts with an 8" leg opening only to find the lining stained like a kitty litter box. Frustrated, angry, and simply not going to take it anymore, I've been planning for some time to do a comparative analysis of the various detergent options to find one that is color safe and material safe on wools, but that cleans the lining.

In Phase 1, now complete, I tested the following:
    Water (control)
    Vinegar
    Woolite regular
    Woolite dark
    Enzyme based detergent (Tide)
    Non-enzyme based detergent (wisk)

In addition to straight soaks, I also ran one set of trou in each of the above soaks with a pre-treat of eachn of the following (each on different trou)
    Zout
    Lanolin based hand cleaner
    Resolve

As a method, the pretreats soaked for 48 hours. For the soaks themselves (again, 48 hours), the trou were suspended from the left leg, dipping the right waistband only into the soak, allowing a comparison of unsoaked and soaked. I also assigned each lining a rating from 1-10 before the soak, with 10 being the most severely stained. I measured outseam and cuff width, to track shrinkage.

I was planning a full scientific writeup, but
    [​IMG]

Suffice it to say that most did nothing or very little. Enzyme/Tide was not color safe. Non-enzyme/Wisk seemed best. Damage to the wool seems to be minimal, if the proper steps are followed, including: Rigorous rinse soak to remove the residual detergent; slow, careful drying, NOT hanging the garment or otherwise putting it under stress or pressure (i,e, no wringing or strong agitation; dried laid flat). If followed, the results with Wisk can be quite dramatic. One pair went from a soil level of 8, I think, to a 1 or a 2.

Note that metal clasps rusted in the various soaks.

Results of Phase 1 can be viewed here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmD1FgVU3WDdC0zcjc0dzUzcVlJWEdZMzRQLVQyQkE&usp=sharing

Phase 2 will be to break all trou into piles of similar color. Then all trou will be soaked in wisk, full emersion. This will re-test color fastness (since I only ran wisk on a limited subset of colors).

No need to thank me; just send me your NWT E. Marinella and E.G. Cappelli ties and John Lobbs.

4 people like this.
  7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Been super busy but wanted to pop in and say nice work!

LI just got murdered. [​IMG]

Out in San Diego again but no thrifting time...right now...

8. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

WHAT???!!!

OH, just saw the update! Wow!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Blackwatch PRL FTW!!!

[​IMG]

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Well I promised Atonement to you gents and today went a little way towards that. Everything is available. Apologies re photo quality - learning to use my new camera. Pringle of Scotland pure wool sweater, size L [​IMG] 3 Zegna shirts size 40 [​IMG] 2 pairs of Zegna chinos. First is EU50, second is US33 [​IMG] [​IMG] Anonymous pocket square [​IMG] Zegna Trofeo DB suit, guess EU56L [​IMG] [​IMG] Valentino reefer jacket, 38R [​IMG] [​IMG] Valentino blazer, 40R (anyone know the difference between these two Valentino labels?) [​IMG] [​IMG] Gianni Versace blazer, pre-death guess around 38R. Colour is black, not blue. [​IMG] [​IMG] Breuer tie [​IMG] Not shown: Paul Smith Jeans white cargo shorts, size 34

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  11. troika

troika Senior member

Thanks Nat. I miss the good old days that I wasnt even around long enough to remember.

1 person likes this.
  12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Found my first Sterlingwear pea coat today, black, wool, bad-ass, made in Bwo-ston. For a real enlisted man. Had that authentic feel.

Twenty-one bucks. Left it.

13. suited

suited Senior member

Last week for the hell of it I threw a pair with a stained crotch into the washer just to see what would happen. The stain came out. I had to take them to the dry cleaners to be pressed because the inside of the pants were so badly wrinkled.

14. suited

suited Senior member

edit, looks like it's supposed to be that way...and I never even bothered to check the fabric content, it's wool, alpaca and cashmere. I was worried for a minute because I've never seen anything purple label, except for ties, at the outlet so I figured maybe some seamstress went on a gin binge and screwed this thing up and it consequently ended up at the outlet :lol:

Well, upon studying the jacket closer I noticed that one of the top pockets is at an angle, and the other isn't. It's actually at a pretty extreme angle compared to the other pocket, which leads me to believe that there's no way someone could have accidentally sewn it on that crooked, but rather it's an intentional design characteristic. I don't know - what do you guys think? Another way to tell would be to find another picture of this jacket, but I haven't had any luck in doing so.
    [​IMG]

edit - found this image online
    [​IMG]

15. Lysander

Lysander Member

My guess is that the pocket is canted a bit for ease of use. It's much easier to slide your hand into a breast pocket that is slightly turned. Try it yourself; put the jacket on and see how much easier the canted pocket is to use over the other pocket.

Perhaps the jacket didn't come that way, and the gent who owned it had it custom tailored to fit his needs. Maybe that's the pocket he put his shotgun shells in, or his compass, or something like that. Something that he needed to be able to easily access. Anyway, that's my speculation.

This is my first post here, and I reckon I'll be posting quite a bit more. I find this thread fascinating.

Cordially,
    Lysander

1 person likes this.
  16. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

+1

You'll find this layout on various outdoors outerwear jackets and even some Belstaff-type motorcycle jackets.

Now about this new experiment for treating stains...

What I've done is take them to the cleaners, explain that I sell used clothing (i.e. these aren't mine) then open the pants and say "Can you give it an extra dose of something special down here?"

They come back clean. I've done this three times already.

1 person likes this.
  17. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

No flip value, but good for yourself if you can find in a pattern that isn't eye-scorching. I have several and they knot well and seem quite durable.

18. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

My inclination with dry cleaners is usually to restrain them, since pants so often come back from them shinier than Honey Boo Boo's contest outfit. So unleashing them would be my last instinct.

That said, my local guy and I are pretty tight, and I would usually trust him.

To be clear: This method attempted to address stains to the waistband, not necessarily the wool. But hopefully it will work there too. Also, this is a long, slow soak for deep stains, a la the oxy method. Due to the delicateness of wool when wet, I would be hesitant with any method that agitated them while wet, but that's just me.

19. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

One is much older than the other.

20. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, things have definitely changed. However, speaking as someone who remembers the thread during those days, this thread wasn't really anything special. Just another thread. Sometimes 3-4 days would pass before someone posted up something and it was usually only 1 post. Nobody talked about sw&d, records, art or furniture. I think I was the only one who knew something about or cared about sw&d at the time since this thread is in the Men's Clothing section. Sure, I miss Pejsek's mind-blowing finds every time he went out and I could really do without the giant photos of ancient Jos. A Bank suits and such, but there was no sense of community then. This thread has become a sub-community in it's own and I love it. :slayer:

Sadly though, some don't think the same way I do or just faded away for other reasons, but it seems many of the early heavy-hitters from this thread have since disappeared.

This would be my guess. I think it's the same reason the old Vietnam-era jackets had slanted breast pockets, and in recent years our military jackets have went back to that style

Shoutouts to:

Atlnoob - Thanks much for the Tractor double LP! Not only are the tunes amazing but it's a 180 gram press on RED vinyl! :slayer:

Capn' - Thanks for the super cool Isaia for Paul Stuart herringbone blazer. Fits perfect minus a little shortening in the sleeves. Unstructured too! :slayer:

Randomore - Got the J. Crew tweed! Love it! Thanks again man for an awesome trade!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.