• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friskydingo

Reaction score

And I need the opposite- bigger hangers, but I can't afford to buy Hanger Project stuff. First world problems.

If I was the kind of person that spent $30 on a hangar, I probably wouldn't be shopping at thrift stores.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but everything is either mine, spoken for, on it's way to ebay, or sold already.

A few weeks worth of pickups.

Brioni Wool / Silk Blend

Brioni Wool

NWT Todd Snyder x Southwick Wool / Linen Blend

NWT Polo Ralph Lauren Patchwork Sport Coat / MOP Buttons

Faconnable Wool / Silk Blend

Loro Piana Cashmere / Silk Sweater

Paul Stuart Cashmere Sweater

Pringle Cashmere Scarf - seemingly new

Brooks Brothers Women's Leather Jacket

Rubinacci Shirt - Not sure if this is the same Rubinacci as Mariano Rubinacci, but it's nice enough for me.

Ties
The Hermes was being returned with a bag of other crap right as I was at the register paying. The woman set it down right in front of me.

Supplies

Even bought a clothing rack at GW

Finally broke down and picked up a Robert Graham since it was loud and cheap...and now I'm converted. This thing sold in less than 10min, for what I thought was a BIN that was pushing it.

Why's that?

rotflmao.gif

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the attitude here is that you shop at thrift stores so you can spend $ on things you can't get for cheap, like quality hangers.

If I was the kind of person that spent $30 on a hangar, I probably wouldn't be shopping at thrift stores.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the attitude here is that you shop at thrift stores so you can spend $ on things you can't get for cheap, like quality hangers.

Quote:
Yeah, like 15 Year Old Single Malt Scotch... Hangers? Meh...

That's just me though.
nest.gif

Randy

Reaction score
Quote:

Don't you _ever_ take a picture of your crotch again.
sorry

Why's that?

I dunno, I can't figure it out. I keep seeing this picture of Luciano Barbera himself. With his horse. It's uncanny.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New to thrifting and I live in a pretty small town in NW Georgia, so I thought this was a pretty decent first haul.

Trousers:
Polo RL - Black Watch Tartan
Polo RL - Glen Plaid (white and black)
Bravini - Wool/Cashmere blend tan

Shirts:
Charles Tyrwhitt - blue windowpane 
Faconnable - pink OCBD (with bird logo?)
Gitman Bros. - white with navy pencil stripe
Brooks Bros. - pale yellow Original Polo shirt

Blazer:
Corbin - navy (not amazing, but solid and canvassed, and I needed one)

What do you guys think?

Decent finds for yourself. Go easy on the shirts or you will soon be space challenged in your home! :lol:

Trying to thrift ourselves a 3% interest rate reduction on our mortgage...

Attaboy! Sell the Camaro.

If anyone finds some cream flannels in 36-38, mine (old Polo) were stained and ruined recently :(.

Shoot a PM to Spoo about these that I forwarded to Luxeswap. He probably still has them. I can't recall the measurements but that 54 translates into somewhere around a 38" waist.

...You know I thought the Dig In Action shot was kinda dicey ...

I. Did. Not. Have. Relations. With. That. Woman. Whose. Head. Is. In. My. Crotch!

Guys. I'm not usually one to complain when a forum undergoes a redesign and I may have missed any previous discussion on the subject while I was away but...

DAMN!

I may have to forgo dis joint. I can barely read it what with the tiny fonts, large white spaces and washed out thread title colors. I barely have time to get into a thrift anymore and when I do, I rarely find anything better than Banana Republic. Maybe it's time to move along.
:(

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL, I'd sell my wife first.

Update on that. I misread the paperwork and I only need $450 for settlement not $8K

EDIT: No, you are not allowed to leave, Dig.

Now THAT, I could read! :lol:

I went to the thread describing the new format changes and discovered that I could go to my settings and switch from the new forum default to something called "Styleforum blue". It seems to have helped a bit but the fonts! They so tinee, still.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now THAT, I could read!
lol8[1].gif

I went to the thread describing the new format changes and discovered that I could go to my settings and switch from the new forum default to something called "Styleforum blue". It seems to have helped a bit but the fonts! They so tinee, still.
Nice...yes blue makes it much easier to separate the quotes. Thanks for the tip.

Randy

Reaction score
Quote:
I bumped up the size of the fonts for this site in my browser. I don't know the PC command, but on a Mac it's Command-plus (repeat Command-plus a couple of times or Command-minus to your taste).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads