1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Congrats! [​IMG] start looking for jackets with bigger shoulders............

2. dz-015

dz-015 Active Member

Interesting... in the Cleveland area, the GWs are all over the place in price. Curiously, I found that the GWs in the better neighborhoods are priced lower in general than the ones in the bad neighborhoods. Shirts for example are a flat $4.35 around me (no distinction between labels), but $6-$10 elsewhere, depending on the label.

3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

And trousers with generous thigh openings.

5. stevenkmason

stevenkmason Senior member

Or 44 XL...

[​IMG]

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

In Austin, it's exactly the opposite. GW in the good neighborhoods are easily twice as much as the others, but the selection is fantastic. Scored a black chalk-striped Polo flannel suit in fantastic condition, made in USA.

Speaking of Austin and approaching suspected StyleForum thrifters, I could have sworn I saw some today around 6pm. We need a secret hand signal or something to alleviate that awkward introduction.

7. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

I believe you're supposed to kick the nearest cart.

8. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

LOL.

9. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Is that an invitation or a challenge? :)

11. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

12. dz-015

dz-015 Active Member

Not a lot of stuff this week, nowhere near the volume of the regulars - I did pick up my first suit and blazers, but only one my size [​IMG]. The one that fit is a Magee Donegal tweed blazer, which in is for altering at my tailor.

I wasn't sure if this was a good pick up at the time I bought it- the Damiani name threw me off. But it is available, size Euro 56. It has gold trimmed onyx?-like buttons, but some have scuffs on them. It is not as deep and vivid a blue as the full pic appears to be, but more like the navy blue in the button pics.

[​IMG]

This Brooks Brothers suit was a 44R, so too big for me. I think the cashier made a mistake and rang me out at $4.35.
    Is this an older BB label?

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Makers and Merchants Shirt - $4.35.
    Slightly long in the shoulders. Alteration: waist taken in.

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Makers and Merchants Shirt - $4.35.
    More BB. Nice casual plaid that I should have ironed first. Alteration: waist taken in.

[​IMG]

Ted Baker Necktie - $2.00.
    My first Ted Baker. A bit flashy so more of a casual tie, here worn with a summer linen blazer.

[​IMG]

Zegna Necktie - $1.99.
    My first Zegna also.

[​IMG]

13. aglose

aglose Senior member

Looks like making. the rowing team could save my life, the whole dang town will. Be underwater here soon.

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

[​IMG] More likening this to a horrible addiction, I agree wholeheartedly. This game is for those with enthusiastic or at least understanding (and enabling) significant others.

I'm going to be in your neighborhood for the kick off of Oktoberfest, I'm so psyched! My 7th visit to Germany, the first one that will actually be a vacation. Promise I won't hit the thrifts there. No I don't.

Not what I meant to quote, but it was regarding those RLPL shoes, there are only 2 left and one is in my size. Must....resist....have....to....save....for.....vacation....

Discontinued brand, I think the ones with skull and crossbones logo sell better. There are some cool ones out there.
    Not a fan of the tie, but that blazer is awesome. Are you using some sort of instragram photo app to get those pics like that?

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

this reminds me of a funny story from my crew days, which I won't do justice because I'm on my phone.
    We were doing a fundraiser where we were going to row 10 miles or some absurd distance, and we would be making money for every mile we went. The year I rowed for Cal Lightweights was the el Nino year, so it had already started the biblical flood. But the team needed Money, so the event went on.
    The rain wasn't the problem so much as the chop. We practiced on the Oakland Estuary, which is an inter tidal and quite large. So there was plenty of fetch and therefore plenty of chop. As we started, we noticed a bit of slop over the gunwales. Then more. Then the cox started bailing the boat with her latte cup. Then our footplates were under water. And then some genius got spooked and called out, no joke, "abandon ship!" And 9 rational, highly educated college students jumped out of a perfectly seaworthy, $10,000 piece of precision equipment with basically no plan in mind.
    I had over a dozen years on the swim team and nearly a half dozen as a beach lifeguard and swim instructor. So I am swimming around teaching the guys who don't know how to swim how to breathe down their shirt to inflate it and helping people to shore. Then I realize the Empacher is in the middle of the shipping lane, drifting aimlessly. So I swim out and grab it.
    I was a ridiculous, hilarious scene seeing 8 soaking wet 20-some things carrying a boat over their head (with one bossy, petite 20-something lady yelling at them and carrying oars awkwardly) for a mile through the Oakland longshore district.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

There were rowers who couldn't swim?

1 person likes this.
  17. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

If you are doing it right, you're never in the water. So yes. Most of these guys picked it up in college, and some came from central California. Not that they didn't have pools, but its not like they were surfers either. Most tended to have run cross country.

18. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

These are from Brooks' Country Club line. The second is particularly nice. When they're on sale they're a pretty decent buy.

19. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

I'm originally from Wheat Ridge. Where are you rowing in Colorado? I mean besides Pearl Street through the middle of Boulder earlier today. I don't remember very many significant waterways. Do you just get in a reservoir and go in circles?
    +1 on BBCC. The thrift stores don't recognize the label so they're less likely to be put on the "boutique" rack compared to the regular line.

I see the ones poasted are M/L though. Rather than paying a tailor take in the waist on thrifted shirts, that money would be better spent on postage to ship them to me!

20. aglose

aglose Senior member

^ We go to Boulder res and row around the res. Our boats might well be underwater though with the recent 48 hour downpour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.