1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Haven't much luck on the clothes front lately, but did pick up one cool item: Concept II rowing machine (Model B). Missing the monitor, but still worth the $50 I paid for it. Stock photo:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Most of their clearance items are mehhhh [​IMG]

4. barrelntrigger

5. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Thrifting in Canada is a different ball-game to that which you Americans are used to; prices are way higher. Goodwill prices are $6 shirt, $17 suit, Value Village (Savers) run $7+ shirt and usually $18+ as suit (if the recognize the brand, they have no problems marking it up 3-4X as much). Calgary has had some good scores for me for thrifting; but as with all of it; it's mainly luck of turning up at the right time. There is a lot of oil money in that town, so sometimes there are good finds to be had.

As mentioned; you're going to be in the wrong part of the country for poutine; that's a french-canadian item from eastern canada....what you'll see in Calgary (if you can find it) is fast-food versions of it, not worth getting.

6. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

Yep, picked up some RLPL EG spectators last night for a heckofa price

7. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I just noticed that when I view my AmEx statement on line, there's now a tab beside "My Transactions" that says "My Offers". It has a an offer for $50 off a purchase of $199 or more at DSW if I use my AmEx. Don't know if it applies to all the different cards or not, but mine is the Blue Travel. Might be worth checking out.

8. DJ Quaaludes

DJ Quaaludes Senior member

9. DJ Quaaludes

YES! I was going to point that out but forgot. If you have an AMEX it is worth doing, and totally works. So it would net you a pair of those aforementioned RLPL Woven Oxfords for $150....which I consider to be a pretty darn good price.

10. aglose

aglose Senior member

Just made the collegiate rowing team. Spent lots of time and will spend loads more on one of these.

11. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

FYI Ralph Lauren Collection =/= Ralph Lauren Purple Label

EDIT: JK those woven oxfords and spectators posted were RLPL however their are other items on that DSW page that are called "Ralph Lauren Collection" that are not RLPL.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I rowed in college, so the erg is a staple -- when I get time to exercise. I bought a II C a few years back by phoning up some local rowing clubs and asking them if they were getting rid of their old ergs. Took a couple, but I found one in Boston. Less than 2 years old (at the time) and under $100, I think.

Just remember to keep the chain oiled and never let it snap back when you're done (ruins the elastic).

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

My wife and I honeymooned in Quebec City and Montreal, and I'm pretty sure nothing will top the poutine I had in those cities. I'm staying at a hotel that supposedly has pretty good poutine at the attached restaurant, so we'll see.

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Those are Made in Italy and should be Sassetti -- at least, the RLPL Made in Italy Jodhpurs I found a few years back were. I defer to other folks if they know for sure.

15. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

16. DJ Quaaludes

Yeah DSW for some reason labels all under the brand 'Ralph Lauren Collection', but closer inspection (and thanks to a guide posted here on StyleForum!) I noted that several pairs were in fact RLPL.

17. barrelntrigger

Congrats, man! That's one hell of a accomplishment! So, how you gonna find time to thrift?

18. aglose

aglose Senior member

Practice is from 6-7:30 every morning. I have time.

19. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

NVM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.