• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie

Reaction score
At a thrift...couple French cuff shirts...talbot estate ...worth the pickup?

pfhtrad

Reaction score
Found some funny stuff today.

Ralph Lauren Cargo Pants... Olivegreen but get this - made from wool and I think their fake because the label is purple. Don't they use a Navy Blue background?

And there's this funny pair of pants. It's got Scotch all along the inside band. Says its an Amsterdam fashion brand. Didn't know anything besides legal you-know-what comes from there. Skinny things too.

But they were cheap at around 2$ a piece. That and a pair of barely worn Ralph Lauren suede boots with fancy rubber soles (Neo-Cork???) which would be perfect for the rain. Says benchmade in the USA. I thought boots were made by machines and not on benches. Must be marketing. I'd take photo's but my battery is charging.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ralph Lauren Cargo Pants... Olivegreen but get this - made from wool and I think their fake because the label is purple. Don't they use a Navy Blue background?

And there's this funny pair of pants. It's got Scotch all along the inside band. Says its an Amsterdam fashion brand. Didn't know anything besides legal you-know-what comes from there. Skinny things too.

But they were cheap at around 2$ a piece. That and a pair of barely worn Ralph Lauren suede boots with fancy rubber soles (Neo-Cork???) which would be perfect for the rain. Says benchmade in the USA. I thought boots were made by machines and not on benches. Must be marketing. I'd take photo's but my battery is charging.
yes very fake send to me :)
also try posting pictures

TheSizzle

Reaction score

Something's up here... but I don't know what.

Do you have opportunities to wear olive green cargos? Does it get really muddy on the trail to Troll City?

I just ask because I haven't been recently and don't know what's in fashion there these days.

staxringold

Reaction score
Ok so.... Today was a good day. Easier day at work than expected, made a tasty dinner, but most importantly decided to thrift rather than run. And that was a good decision. Certainly not DM7 level, but easily my best haul ever (and everything but the HSM shirt was from one store and I'm pretty sure one donor).

Suit: Very recent, navy with blue pinstripe, 51/49 silk/wool blend, 56L (EU) Zegna suit.
Shirts (top to bottom):
*Left (all available, all 16.5x35/36): Battistoni, Borrelli, Zegna (french cuff)
*Right (technically available, but fit me): XL Faconnable, Hart Schaffner Marx
Ties (not available): Nordstrom, Faconnable, Burma Bibas, Aquascutum

Suit was actually a bit frustrating as it's only 1-2 sizes too small for me. Seriously though, I think one dude (a roughly 16.5x36 L or XL dude) who loved fine clothing (Zegna and Faconnable in particular) either died, changed sizes, or something. Along with all these I left 6-8 more Zegna and Faconnable shirts that were more casual types. Also a lesson in GW's random pricing: Despite recognizing Zegna as a notable brand (the Zegna's all had specific higher pricing), an ancient looking, double breasted, peak lapeled Hickey Freeman was twice the price of the Zegna. *shrug*.

Seriously, what's up with the thrifting gods. For 3 months the nicest things I'd found were some RLPL pants (my size) and a RLPL tie. Then, suddenly, this past week I find Kiton, Lorenzini, Battistoni, and Borrelli (along with loads more Zegna, though I'd seen that before).

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Stax you think that's frustrating? Today I saw 2 awesome coats that would fit us... I forget who they were by (I think both Zegna), but one was Loro Piana super 120's I think, the other was Loro Piana cashmere cloud... Former in navy with PINK pinstripes, the latter in solid baby pink, with sick mother of pearl buttons. I cursed at the sky.

Last edited:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Something's up here... but I don't know what.

Do you have opportunities to wear olive green cargos? Does it get really muddy on the trail to Troll City?

I just ask because I haven't been recently and don't know what's in fashion there these days.
Well, I've seen a few eBay brags in here sooooo
Incotex cords - $12.95 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150965403427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
smile.gif

My size too... well played, sir.

mhtcjt37

Reaction score
Found a few things, best highlight was a Paul Stuart Three Piece Suit. I'll get pictures up of that later. Quick authenticity question, anyone know on this? I know its crappy VJC but still kind of cool if its real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads