1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Or edit them. As I've done above. Sacre: PICS!
    Itsokbro. You can quit anytime you want. :fonz: It's not the last car of the train that kills you. Thrift fit. The palate says autumnal, but damned if it isn't 95 and 4000% humidity. Hence the cotton. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Details: J Press, found by me Borrelli, Nat T&A gren, found by me with a spot I removed, otherwise NWOT Links: unknown colored enameled sixpence, found by me Belt Trafalgar, Spoodaddy Socks Panthy (TJX'd by me) Shoes: Alden, S_Allen

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. catside

catside Senior member

I wonder if you should go completely trad since this is much better than your eyetalian fits :D

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Variety, old friend, is the spice of life. It's much more fun defying and wandering across traditional boundaries. [cue montage...]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

It was tie day at my local thrift store. Set out a bunch of ties and I found a few nice ones (Charvet, T&A, BB x2 one NWT). Pictures to come soon.

5. eazye

eazye Senior member

G, all your trousers should be hemmed to that length, best fitting pair yet!

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks! True story: Walking into work, I caught a glimpse of my self, en motion, in the reflection on the front door and audibly gasped at how Erkel I looked -- showing full ankle. A new experience, and I'm trying to keep an open mind....

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Why invest in Pantherellas and Happy Socks if no one can see them?

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Fantastic reasoning that I've attempted, to little avail, in respect of SWMOB's leopard print thong.

1 person likes this.
  9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

[​IMG]

Ties mentioned before. Charvet, TA, BB, NWT BB

Worth noting this is my first Charvet and T&A. I'm excited.

1 person likes this.
  11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Dear, Thrifting, I can't quit you. You are my drug of choice.

Challenge failed.

2 people like this.
  12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Didn't find what I was looking for at Marshall's, but did pick up a skeet tie.

[​IMG]

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Buying a house helped me. I don't think I've been to a thrift store in more than a week. [​IMG]

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I bought a house last year then decided I hated to mow/edge/blow the lawn, so I got the kid next door to do it for $20 a week...which meant I had to thrift in order to earn at least $80 a month to pay him for my laziness. Then the kid got into an accident on the set of The Walking Dead last week and won't be mowing my yard at least the rest of this year. One less reason to thrift now - will probably go back to doing the yard myself for a while.

15. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

First, T&A cherry popped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second, I have skipped, skimmed and ignored every single pair of Florsheims that have been posted here since the day I started reading SF. I have left every single pair I have seen in thrifts - mostly because they were beat to shit. Gentlemen, now I need your assistance. I'm pretty sure these are shell. They're not V-cleats, but I suspect the original owner had the heel replaced. What exactly I do have on my hands?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Found this crazy Etro shirt. double button collar and super thick buttons. Not pictured are some Ferragamo cap toes that need to be cleaned up.
    [​IMG]

17. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

^^^^ Those are indeed Shell cordovan. 93605 number indicates shell on this pair. Heels replaced.

18. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Buying a house helped me...

...have more room to store stuff when I thrift more

19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

HA! I got you beat by 2 months and 3 weeks!

20. edwardthefirst

edwardthefirst Senior member

Here are some highlights from the last two weeks:
    [​IMG]
    Brooks Brothers awesome tweed 43R

[​IMG]
    Southwick recent staple grey suit. 42L, i think (need to measure)

[​IMG]
    Another awesome staple Southwick, brown flannel 38S
    The BB and the brown Southwick are on eBay, and the grey is eBay bound... If you're interested I'm sure we could work something out.
    Not pictured:
    Ties: Zegna, LV, RT BOC, PRL Madras, Beau Brummell 7 fold, BB, PS London, Barney's made in Italy, Versace.
    Shirts: EZ 16.5 button down collar, BB White French cuff, Robert Talbott 100% linen cutaway collar (M)
    Pants: Brioni Wool and Cashmere solid grey flannel, tagged a 42R and I think they mean 42, not 32.
    Sport coats: the above mentioned BB, Canali X4 (three 50R, one 42 solid navy), two awesome vintage (1967, same donor) cotton summer sport coats for me, nothing special brandwise, EZ charcoal Birdseye orphan that I might turn into an SC for me.
    Suits: Gianluca Isaia 48R, Corneliani grey stripe 42R, H Freeman and Son three piece 40R, the two Southwicks, and my first ever Savile Row: Henry Poole seersucker. Probably about a 70L. The largest thing I've ever seen. It was 5$ on the costume rack... I had to rescue it. I had to. *sigh*

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.