1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

nice 80% off from rack is like 90% off retail? [​IMG]

2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

if the pictured boot is made-in-Canada and in popular size, it should flip for at least $50, I think. That's what I've been able to get. Off shore is not worth as much. They are, in fact, incredible boots.

3. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. She is beautiful, but I am biased.

Her brother is almost 3 and I certainly do thrift children's clothes, but there are also many organized sales by churches and mom's groups too.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ Congrats buddy! I miss those blankets... man that was a flashback.

I kopped the Sorels. Size 10 made in Canada. Thanks for all your input.

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Congrats!!

That is indeed the good stuff. If it had a hood, it would be grail status for sure. As you may know, many of these down jackets never came with a hood to begin with. The hoods were sold separately (usually $10-$12 retail in the 70's), so that jacket may have never had one. Due to the fact that they were sold separately and also removable, they are very scarce and a jacket with the optional hood included is a grail find.

Class 5 is a great company. They started up out of Berkeley in the early 70's and went under in the early 80's. That label is their first label design (My personal favorite. What a cool design!). In 1978-ish, they changed over to a label that featured a large rose and the slogan "The Standard of the World".

That particular jacket is called the "down sweater". Note the shorter hem and the curved, side entrance patch pockets. The larger, longer version was their down parka/jacket and the pockets had snap-shut flaps in addition to side entrance hand-warmer pockets.

If that jacket is an L, I'm interested. I have the exact same jacket in burnt orange. Sadly mine is well worn and nearing the end of it's life (very dirty, numerous patches, etc).

Nice score on the Gant too!

I'd pass. I see these all the time. Nothing really special unless they are mint. Judging from those photos the boots are from when Sorel was still made in Canada by Kaufman (the K leaf logo), so likely prior to 1988 or so. Nice stuff. Those look to be in nice shape but as others stated, even in the winter they max out at about $50-$60. Retail is only about $120-$150.

They were (still are?) built like tanks, so they last a long time. Mine are olive green and are the Premium model. Purchased new in 1983. Today they still hold up great. The wool liners are original too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. eazye

eazye Senior member

Woah, you sir are a wealth knowledge, thank you. I had no idea they were sold without the hoods, interesting stuff. I'm still going to head back the next couple of days in case it turns up in the odds and ends section. Sadly it's a medium. Is it wrong that I want to keep it if I've already got two in the stable?

1 person likes this.
  7. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

I have been stockpiling Sorels through the summer to sell in the winter. I buy them new or near new only made in Canada.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

That's just sick. How often do you actually find shell cordovan or shoes from good brands, regardless of what size you are using? I've only been to a thrift shop a couple times, and I didn't find anything "good" than a PRL corduroy jacket and boot cut Prada jeans. I guess people in my city don't dress well.

9. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

I think I've seen shell in a thrift twice, neither of which were in buyable condition. Then you get some regulars here who seem to find a pair or two a month. Same with good brands, it's pretty much luck of the draw/right place right time/location (sort of).

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Holes and huge gouges aside, most condition issues on old shell are addressed surprisingly well with simple buffing.

11. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Picked up a beautiful James Pringle argyle cashmere sweater today. Quite pleased with it. This isn't the same label I've seen for Pringle. Assuming this is perhaps made a little after the usual label - maybe in the 70s?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Here's one for the Cap'n...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

14. DanM

DanM Senior member

Last summer it rained shoes for me. I pulled at least a dozen pairs of shells, plus lots of staple Allen Edmonds and some suede Ferragamos. I would come home with 3-4 pairs of shoes everytime I made a serious thrift run. I flipped enough in four months that my wife and I saved enough for a down payment on a house (only 3.5k, but that's still crazy good for just starting out). This year, shoes have been nearly nonexistent here.

3 people like this.
  15. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Oh, I know the miracles of horse butt. Cracks and tears on the other hand...

16. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Me

17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Update from Reading PA. It's raining Bills Khakis. Easily explained since they are made here.

1 person likes this.
  18. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Good thing you are super into cm and especially tweed you have a package headed your way

1 person likes this.
  19. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Finding good stuff, shell or not, is completely dependent on where you live and how often you hit the racks.

20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

A different thrift fit than you trads out there.

Kahala aloha shirt, Prana shorts and Sanuk sandals...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.