1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanM

DanM Senior member

had to quote that to remind myself not to do those things as well.

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

OK man sorry was just funning with you. I used to live in Chicago and that happened a lot when I got off the train - sometimes it was a guy throwing away 2 ties and 1 newspaper, sometimes only 1 tie with 2 newspapers...once it was 3 ties and no newspaper and they were all Hermes. Bummer when it was a guy tossing 3 newspapers and no ties - but hey - you can't win them all.

6 people like this.
  3. DanM

DanM Senior member

I've clearly got to move to Chicago - guys only throw away Staffords with their newspapers here.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Back home from a little Family vaca in Frisco. I'll be honest, I didn't get to thrift in the city nearly as much as I wanted to. Its very hard with a 16 month old baby to get much of anything done besides miles and miles of walking around the Union Square shopping at retail.

One place I made it to was Buffalo Exchange in the mission district. I did not walk out with any purchase, mainly because of the small MC section, and me not being too familiar with SWD brands. I would have loved to ravish up SF a bit more, running into a few local GWs but time and convenience was against me.
    Below are a few finds I did pick up on the vaca, and are relevant because heck, they were all purchased with eBay thrifting fodder [​IMG] I had set aside for the trip.

The new location of Marshals in Union Square proved to be a great change of pace for me, below are the deets, and I feel pretty good about 1 of them pick ups.

On to the personal purchase pics!

The Brooks Brothers Store in Union Square is really a place to stop into if you ever are in the area. It is 3 stories full of more goodies than one needs.
    Top floor houses the Gentleman's Lounge, where I was catered to and greeted with a nice cold bottled beer water at their bar. This was the prelude to a game of billiards on their beautifully crafted BB Billiards table. On to the purchases

BB Unlined All season SC

[​IMG]

BB Shadow Plaid Unlined SC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB Irish Linen Navy Blue Suit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB Shirts
    Only Top one is OCBD Weekend Shirt
    Botton 2 are my work horse shirts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB Travel Tie Case
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB White Cotton Trousers
    2 Summer Cotton Ties
    [​IMG]

J Crew Cotton Trousers
    x2 Polos
    [​IMG]

The Awesomeness of out of town Marshals, never fails to put out! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ike Behar, I liked the fall colors and thick silk
    BB (no flaws to note) thick woven silk in a blue/black color
    Isaia 7 Fold!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice Pantherella Fall color boots socks for myself!
    [​IMG]

Had a Great time, in the city. Thank you to a few members who gave me some thrift spots in which are saved and printed ready to hit up next time I fly solo to Frisco!

From the looks of the rest of this thread, many more members had an awesome thrify holiday weekend! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hey guys,

What's the typical cost to ship a tie through USPS? Do you use a box or envelope?

Thanks!

6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Had a huge discussion on this over in the proper thread here. [​IMG]

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

I use Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, costs $5.15 to ship. Some folks use padded envelopes, but I worry about the tie getting creased during transit. Also, we have a thread dealing with these issues in detail here.

edit: dang, Shoe beat me to it!

edit edit: technically, he didn't say he had sold it on ebay. Perhaps he is sending a tie to another forum member?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

For people who have Barbour items

What do you do with a corduroy collar that is a little faded? Is there a way to get this replaced or re-dyed?

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Pics or it didn't happen!

10. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

You could always contact Barbour. They seem to offer a multitude of repair services for their products. I bet they might be able to replace it for you/ Though if you're thinking of flipping the jacket, the new collar might take a serious bite out of your profits, which (depending on severity of the fade) might not be impacted that much otherwise.

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Wrong....JosA Banks here. And if they are a Westsider...they'll never throw them away.

12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

That's nice! Finally hit the BB at the outlet here. 70% off the 346 stuff, I passed on almost everything, until I came across a mainline for no reason marked 1/2 off... on the 70% off rack so... mainline 85% off, yep. Funny story, I was in thrifting mode, I take the coat off the hanger at the counter, the checkout girl says, leave that on, we'll package it that on the hanger. I was all excited when I got to keep the hanger! Oh yeah... retail. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. suited

suited Senior member

Awesome finds on this page, guys.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Semi[​IMG]

Hey fellas, I have a costume designer looking for a white or gold (preferably gold) shawl lapel dinner jacket (ideally dupioni silk, but not required) in size 38 to 42. Nothing expensive or fancy really, she will do the alterations herself and dye the jacket gold if need be. PM me if you have something or can pick up something. I will hook you up to sell directly to the buyer.

15. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

If only I could find sportcoats the way you guys do, man.

A few things yesterday, everything N/A.

Mark McNairy Digital Camo cargo pants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unis garment dyed chino
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LVC 1950s sweatshirt. Been lusting after one of these for years.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've become slightly obsessed with French workwear, so this is definitely my favorite find. Vintage French work smock

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Thanks guys. It's for forum transactions. So I'm looking at $5 for a single tie + the cost of a small box? I don't like envelopes as they may crush the tie.

17. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I would guess most are using USPS priortity flat rate box that you can get for free.

18. DanM

DanM Senior member

Bingo. Small flat rate boxes are free at your local post office (well, probably, I haven't been to your PO but they are free at mine and can be ordered from the USPS website and delivered to your house for free).

19. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

My finds can now be found at megashiny.tumblr.com . Thanks for the suggestions for blog sites :nodding: ^^great job by the dude that found the kiton Nat, check your pms soon. I have a question on some old army pants I found.

20. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Some epic finds since I've been gone.

Congrats gents

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.