1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Do they smell like cigarettes? Aren't those items the ones you get by collecting coupons from packages of cigs to redeem for cool branded stuff to be buried in?
    Oh, apparently not, but they are licensing the name and logo from Philip Morris Altria. Wiki They have changed their branding to distance themselves from the smokes MCS

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Strippers tit, sorry.

3. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Just found a Johnston of Elgin sweater for $11. :)

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Looks real from here. Evisu also miss spell "jeans" to "genes" on purpose. No.2 is basically your mainline. Is it made in Japan for China? I'm thinking Japan? Is it selvedge? It's hella ugly and should get you like $50 -$80. No.1 goes for more. But since you are Spoo, you might get like $89.08 or something like that. lol If you ever find a pair of No.0, you have won the internet! Also, do you have pics of the buttons close up?

6. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I had very good luck on kijiji getting 6 mid-century modern danish teak pieces this morning. The cost was more than thrift store but way less than an antique or even consignment store. Pictured below are the 2 beds we got. Not pictured are a 6-drawer dresser, 2 book shelves with cabinet bottoms and narrow Poul Cadovius-like wall shelf unit similar to this one (mine has no writing desk but had a second drawer suspended in its place).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And even though prices were more than reasonable I needed to DEAL. He wouldn't budge in price but I got him to throw in a stereo system. Can anyone tell me about this Sony turntable and Bose speakers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I've been looking for a bed like that for years. Sweet sweet haul! Is that queen sized? Congrats!

1 person likes this.
  8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Spoo, amazing haul. Tell me more about these - are they vintage? Those fabric patterns were popular in the '20s but not much after that, in menswear anyway. But the rise looks too low on those to be that old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Arent they great? I thought Wes was going to comment on some bananas tweed pants...

20s? Probably not that old. They are vintage yes, found in the "vintage" section of a thrift. I would wear the hell out of these to be honest. Heres some more pics. Best I can guess is the 60s-70s. theres only one label in there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Senior member

Hey anyone here able to help with the date and maker on the tags of this gucci blazer I just picked up. Help is much appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Paging Nataku: is this the Gerry I'm looking for?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It is indeed. Nice find! Very cool 60/40 style mountain parka. I'd say early 80's? That lining.... :wow: :drool:

13. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Finally, a decent haul!

[​IMG]

Top L-R: Holland and Holland, BB English (Church's), BB English (Church's), Edward Green for Old England (going to need a little research, as they may be Russian Reindeer)
    Bottom L-R: Ralph Lauren (Edward Green), Edward Green for Paul Stuart, J.M.Weston, Holland and Holland

[​IMG]

Around thirty bow ties (and other assorted ties); Brooks, Luciano Barbera, Carrot and Gibbs, Paul Stuart, T&A and others.

[​IMG]

Sweater vests: blue and green are Etro, Argyles are Rubinacci and the Fair Isles are Paul Stuart and J. McLaughlin

[​IMG]

Barbour Border with liner

Assorted other things I didn't photograph yet: Borrelli tux shirt, two alligator belts with sterling buckles, baby crock belt, Lacoste polos, Borsalino fedora, Oxxford trousers.

6 people like this.
  14. SpooPoker

Holy crap well done!

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! Killer haul, Tony! Borrelli tux?! And those shoes... :drool:

16. eazye

eazye Senior member

Good lord! I've yet to find one pair of EG's.......

17. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Unfortunately, only a tux shirt, but a very nice one.

18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Aaah, misread the post. Haha. Still, any Borrelli is a great find!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  19. DanM

DanM Senior member

[​IMG] Wow! Incredible haul!

20. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

While we're on the subject, with my recent luck (bought fake Prps) these are also no go, but thought I'd ask:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status: