• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, another noob query. When someone says "I can proxy," I assume that means "You'll pay what I paid." Does it actually mean a small charge on top of that? What I meant was cost+tax+shipping. Trying to build up some goodwill (uh, so to speak) on here.

It usually means pay me what I paid including tax and the cost of shipping. I usually add a few bucks for gas.

Started out Friday morning with a flat tire on my way to work. Went thrifting after work, cosmic balance restored. Here's almost everything from yesterday and today. Haven't done any measurements.

First up, Brooks Brothers Loro Piana Zelander:

Harris Tweed

Another Harris Tweed

Brooks Brothers Camelhair blazer

Does anyone have any info on Dormeuil? This is so ridiculously soft, but I have no idea what the fabric is. It actually feels softer than the Oxxford and Isaia cashmere sport coats I thrifted over the summer (humblebrag).

Bean Boots.

Bunch of ties. BB Makers, vintage Brooksgate, NWT BB Makers Linen, vintage BB, BB 346 but a really nice pattern.

Tartan, Charvet et fils, Dunn & Co. paisley, Robert Talbott BOC, Zegna 90% silk, 10% cotton

Bolgheri (any good?), Holland and Sherry, Gucci, Bellini (any good? In with the others so took a chance), and Paul Stuart. Other than the Gucci, first time seeing any of those in the wild.

Hey capnwes, I picked up an ugly sweater too!

Charles Tyrwhitt - I've had decent luck flipping these.

A not hideous Robert Graham.

BB slacks for me.

First pair of BB jeans I've seen.

Almost all of these pants were right next to each other, size 34-36, hidden in with the size 44s.

At first I thought thought these cords were Orvis from the trim on the pockets...

Polo made in Italy.

Luciano Barbera - another first for me.

Three pairs of Zegnas.

Incotex.

Orvis this time.

More Orvis.

Some BB seersucker to save for the warmer months.

Passed on a NWT 7FAM jeans which somehow had a hole in the crotch (this isn't a "feature" is it? I can go back...) and another Coogi shirt size 5XL.

NIcely done!

I think I recognize that one... Was the semi-unmarked Turnbull and Asser tie (blue and yellow checkers) still there? I bumped into S_allen_P and we wandered into (I think) the store you found that at and I mentioned I was invited to a party at the LA zoo and that tie would have been perfect haha. All the LA stores I've been to in the past few days have been a **** show, totally packed with people and not packed with the goods (though that doesn't seem the case in the valley).

Well while Rando was burninating the countryside, I was down in OC, not burninating... Found a really cool casual thing in 40L that will have to wait till tomorrow for pics, and then this...

Some street art I came across last night...

Only in LA.

Got any RLPL in that pile?
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Wesc? I guess they are defunct now. Had seriously thousands of clothes all nwt at my local shop. Picked up about 5-6 selvedge jeans for myself and brother. I had about 15 pairs in my cart before I realized they had hundreds...
Also some ties... Firsts for me. Drakes kiton etc. Will post pics when I get home.
First anyone know what this is? 7 fold and heavy.

From my understanding, Wesc makes lower grade of selvedge denim. You can buy a pair about $80, think Unbranded.

I think they are still in business.

http://shop.wesc.com/category/mens-denim

Last edited:

OliT

Reaction score
Me and the girlfriend went out thrifting a bit during the weekend, and as usual, the finds in the Swedish thrift market are nowhere near what some of you guys pick up. However, I did find this (and remembered reading about the brand here in the thread a little while back). Since it fit the girlfriend perfectly and she really liked the color, I picked it up for her, even though it was priced pretty high at $35. Not pristine condition, but it's got an awesome patina to it.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Hey I'm reposting these before I send them to the bay...pm if interested
Canali SC

DSquared 36

Pal Zileri 40r SC

Orvis SC NWOT 42 Single Vent

Zegna 15milmil15 Suit...PM for sizes

Oxxford Clothes for Neiman Marcus 40R

Polo by Ralph Lauren 42R

You really dont get how this thread works, do you?
ffffuuuu.gif

For all you noobs, stop reposting crap trying to sell it here. This is the bragging thread, if someone is interested they will PM you about it.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really dont get how this thread works, do you?
ffffuuuu.gif

For all you noobs, stop reposting crap trying to sell it here. This is the bragging thread, if someone is interested they will PM you about it.

lol8[1].gif

I've been looking for a watch for about two weeks or so. Yesterday, soon to be father in law gave me his Sector quartz from the 90's. Not very high end but that was a very awesome gesture and it was free! This will make a decent beater watch for me!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Now, back to lurking the Montblanc I've seen on eBay...

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Popped my MCM cherry!

Lane Acclaim coffee table (not my pic)

lane-acclaim-coffee-table4.jpg

yossi

Reaction score

I think I recognize that one... Was the semi-unmarked Turnbull and Asser tie (blue and yellow checkers) still there? I bumped into S_allen_P and we wandered into (I think) the store you found that at and I mentioned I was invited to a party at the LA zoo and that tie would have been perfect haha. All the LA stores I've been to in the past few days have been a **** show, totally packed with people and not packed with the goods (though that doesn't seem the case in the valley).

Hmm, didn't see the Turnbull & Asser tie, but as usual I was browsing with one eye and trying to stop my kid from knocking over the teacup display with the other, so I'm just glad I found anything at all. Out of curiosity, why did you pass on the T&A and the Holland & Holland I picked up? Just too small-time? And yeah, this isn't exactly an obscure spot - it's extremely convenient to LA's third or fourth most famous matzoh-ball soup.

For the record, I wasn't reposting that Canali jacket to try to sell it - I really wanted some feedback on how to be a good citizen of this thread. (And I got lots of very helpful PMs, so thanks again everyone.)

Jpmorris

Reaction score
Quote:
uhoh.gif
x2
Requoted for creepiness

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Me and the girlfriend went out thrifting a bit during the weekend, and as usual, the finds in the Swedish thrift market are nowhere near what some of you guys pick up. However, I did find this (and remembered reading about the brand here in the thread a little while back). Since it fit the girlfriend perfectly and she really liked the color, I picked it up for her, even though it was priced pretty high at $35. Not pristine condition, but it's got an awesome patina to it.

Rocky Mountain Featherbed is a VTG outerwear grail in my opinion. If you decided to flip that, especially given the popular size, you'd probably be surprised at your return. Also RMF was recently rebooted by a Japanese company that purchased the name and now produces luxe down outerwear. http://rocky-mountain-featherbed.com/

Most importantly, how that made it all the way to Sweden and also how I haven't found a RMF piece a mere 4 hours away from Jackson in Denver is beyond me.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why did you pass on the T&A and the Holland & Holland I picked up?

The Turnbull was unexceptional, I happened to recognize it by chance. Plus it was $7. Which, had it been amazing, would have been a steal, but for what it was, was about $5 too much. One mustn't get brand-drunk when thrifting, it's too easy to buy crap that way. The H&H was just too obscure for my liking, and I didn't want to get stuck with that print. I still try to fall back on the "don't buy things you don't want to get stuck with" concept. Also my head wasn't totally screwed on for some reason, I seldom buy from that shop based on their prices, so I usually just go to look and not buy. I need to make an effort to check the store out more often, it's maybe a 4 minute walk from my place.

Last edited:

sagitar

Reaction score
I picked this up during a recent trip to the Thrift store. The jacket seemed very different from the normal corduroy jacket. Any idea what this is and is it worth anything?

Thanks.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too lazy to take good pics and too lazy to individually label pics

Suits

Burberry Black Windowpane 42L
Armani Le Collezioni Charcoal Striped 42L
Canali Grey w/ Blue Windowpane 42
Corneliani Black w/ blue pinstripe 44

Overcoat
Pal Zileri Full length Brown with Loro Piana Superwool Fabric

Sportcoats/Blazers

Samuelsohn Silk/Wool Navy with Gold (tear in lining) 44
Burberry Black Blazer 43
Jack Victor Brown Windowpane 46
Brooks Brothers from Fall 2007 42L
Cremieux w/ Lori Piana Fabric Tan Windowpane 42R
Canali Brown Houndstooth w/ Blue Windowpane 42
Interesting PRL Cotton shirt blazer thing, real thin, throat latch, MOP buttons, working cuffs....is this something?

Shirts

Robert Graham
RLPL
Lacoste
TM Lewin
Eton
Nat Nast
Zara Man
Gitman Tux shirt
Bill's Khakis
Armani Collezioni
Thomas Dean
Robert Talbott Chelsea

Also picked some shoes for the bay, including some brand new Cole Haan women's heels....that the wife stole

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Together with the Quoddy Camp Mocs I got (new, but discounted) last week, I've got my summer footwear sorted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads