• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfhtrad

Reaction score
So, apparently when someone says "I found a ton of aldens" they get lots of mail.
biggrin.gif

Its been snowing so I've been washing, polishing and ironing some of the last few hauls. No pics yet.

So, some deets:

Model/size (width)/color
663/9 (C/E)/cordovan
770/10.5 D/black (for brooks brothers, worst of them all)
961/9.5 (C/E)/black
660/9 (D/EE)/black
971/9.5 (C/E)/black

Also from the same haul:
Near new (worn once condition) florsheim burgundy wingtip brogue, pre 1980 I'm assuming as they are fully linen lined, 9.5EEE
Vtg Footjoy black loafers, 10EEE
Vtg fotjoy brouge spectators which might be lizard skin, 10E

What is the deal with FootJoy? I know they make shoes for Orvis and golf shoes. That German guy has a couple of exotics on his page, but I don't know if at 12.99 (I splurged) I made a foolish mistake.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Would love some help authenticating from the SW&D-minded homies (Nataku, acosby, et al, I'm looking at you), since I remember someone mentioning that this brand gets faked a lot, though looking through ebay listings it looks like their outerwear stuff doesn't even do that well.

Based on the Pakistani provenance, I'm a little suspicious. BAPE is heavily faked. I found a pair of BAPE selvage denim for which I couldn't authenticate. The tags looked legit, they were selvage, and made in Japan. There was a phrase sloppily stitched on the selvage line and on the pocket, so I left them. I think their brand, while once highly coveted, has seen a huge fall in both quality and focus. Even if it is real, you won't get much for it on ebay.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I found this blazer recently and it seems pretty well made, but I don't know anything about the maker and I can't seem to find any info online. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, I already have a navy blazer similar to this, so this one is up for sale if anyone is interested and can give me a price.
About $79-129 new. Not really sure it has a second hand market or value. Probably made in Mexico or China somewhere, or most likely Singapore. Everything that looks hand done is actually machine done. Fashion forward usually with dual vents high notch lapels, etc. and the appearance of quality due to the Super 140s. Reviews show that the 140s is more rough than soft. Probably good for someone on a budget who does not wear a jacket often, or a high school-er, except Ian.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all the thrift noobs: welcome to the thread. Hold back on the "available at the right price" talk until you get a better sense of how things are done round here.

codeman92190

Reaction score
About $79-129 new. Not really sure it has a second hand market or value. Probably made in Mexico or China somewhere, or most likely Singapore. Everything that looks hand done is actually machine done. Fashion forward usually with dual vents high notch lapels, etc. and the appearance of quality due to the Super 140s. Reviews show that the 140s is more rough than soft. Probably good for someone on a budget who does not wear a jacket often, or a high school-er, except Ian.

Interesting. Looks like I'll have to trash it then. Obviously I haven't completely grasped the feeling of quality construction yet, outside of brand recognition. As far as I can tell, the jacket seemed to be full or at least half canvassed (I have plenty of my own as reference), and I was convinced that the lapel stitching was done by hand due to the irregularity in length of the individual stitches. But I am certainly no expert.

To all the thrift noobs: welcome to the thread. Hold back on the "available at the right price" talk until you get a better sense of how things are done round here.

uhoh.gif

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Looks like I'll have to trash it then. Obviously I haven't completely grasped the feeling of quality construction yet, outside of brand recognition. As far as I can tell, the jacket seemed to be full or at least half canvassed (I have plenty of my own as reference), and I was convinced that the lapel stitching was done by hand due to the irregularity in length of the individual stitches. But I am certainly no expert.

uhoh.gif

My bad. I wish the news was better.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still working through the photos and measurements from Friday's haul, but wanted to at least shoe something....

About 3 days too late for the ugly sweater party.

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Normally, I visit the thrifts on the way to school in the morning.  But, I'm not in school and I'm still dropping by daily.  During the school year, I usually walk out empty handed or with one or two things.  This past week, daily visits, I've been spending on average $120 per day.  It's incredible.  Drowning in gently worn brooks brothers suits, Harris Tweeds and most recently a ton of Aldens (9-10 in E- EE).  I've had to pass on french copper cookware and Denon amps because I can't carry them home (no car) I'm stocking up on inventory for the 'bay.

Thrifting around here is usually pretty dire, but all of my best finds over the last few years have been in late December or early January. Last year it was a solid gold watch in the box and the year before it was a dope flannel glen plaid suit by Polo. Nothing spectacular for you sf, la or dfw guys, but enough motivation to keep me flipping through acres of Van Heusen for another year.

codeman92190

Reaction score
My bad. I wish the news was better.

Not a big deal. I won't miss the $5 I spent on it, haha.

Now for something that I just want to brag about. I have been pining for a pair of shoes exactly like this, and was about to resort to just paying full price, when I stumbled on these:

I have to admit that these are probably my best fitting and most comfortable pair of shoes now. It's like wearing slippers.

Oshuns919

Reaction score
Hey I'm reposting these before I send them to the bay...pm if interested

Canali SC

DSquared 36

Pal Zileri 40r SC

Orvis SC NWOT 42 Single Vent

Zegna 15milmil15 Suit...PM for sizes

Oxxford Clothes for Neiman Marcus 40R

Polo by Ralph Lauren 42R

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here are the finds from today's quick drop in at my local shop. I guess Nat missed my store lol. Will probably head back and turn the place upside down after these were brought out as I was leaving.
E.G. Cappelli Napoli 7 fold tie.

E. Marinella Napoli tie

Kiton 7 fold

Drakes

Gianni Versace

Wesc selvedge and Trafalgar belt for myself

And these I never seen before so I grabbed and hoped for the best.
Sutor Mantellassi Chocolate loafers. New no box tagged 8.5 not sure if US or EU.

like the marinella - available?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can proxy for this Large used Rag & Bone overcoat. Pretty cool, but the back is a little different. $72 + tax + shipping for regulars in the thread. Small proxy for others.

That coat is DOPE. Ive got 3 R&B coats and they fit awesome. Pretty tempted on that. Did you try it on? Fits slim or normal for a L?

yossi

Reaction score
Managed to snatch a few hours to hit some stores, mostly coming away empty-handed, though I found a couple of beautiful things if I do say so myself. I haven't found the magical thrift with the piles and piles of NWT selvage jeans, however. Do the other LA guys tell me where it is after I find my first 7-fold tie?

Couple of recent finds and a n00b question below. Everything is available.

Some ties: Luciano Barbera and Robert Talbott BOC x2, L-R.

BB Makers, PRL, BB Makers, L- R.

Some nice shirts. Canali french cuff 17-43, E Zegna XL, Isaia 17-43.

Any XLs want to jump on these? RLPL shirts:

And then there's this piece of awesomeness. Is this the same print as the smoking jacket CesarC posted a few days back? It's a 40S.

And my new favorite tie I've found, after the three recent Zegnas, a beautiful Holland & Holland.

Not pictured: BB made-in-USA OCBD in 16-3, PRL khaki cotton SC.

And some passes: an Orvis pith helmet (!) - my size, too, but didn't seem flippable at the price and god knows I'd never wear it. And some squarish-toed Prada loafers with damage on the toe. Good passes?

OK so here's my other question. Feel free to tell me to take it to the eBay forum.

A couple of days ago, I was in a Marshall's and posted here that I could proxy for a nice Canali SC, 44L, wool/silk blend. Some pics here:

No one responded immediately and I had to run, so I took a chance and bought it, assuming someone would PM me when they saw it - I can't find it now, but there was a recent back-and-forth over someone on the board leaving behind something similar at a TJ Maxx or something, and getting lightly admonished for it.

No one has PMd, though. Is that because a) Canali isn't worth it at the price ($350 + tax + shipping) for any of the 44Ls here, b) the pattern is too voguish/ugly (FWIW I love it), or c) because I'm new here and people don't know me yet? Or D) some combo of all of the above?

Regardless, any suggestions on what I should do? Seems like NWT Canali SCs go on eBay for about $75 - $100 more than I paid for it, but I don't want to wait a few months to get my money back if I do a BIN. I could also just return it and get my money back, but now it's worked its way into my brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads