• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Ok really bad pictures of today's finds but in a hurry to get some stuff done...

Ben Silver tie

Woolrich heavy flannel - 60s? XL

Eton and Zegna shirts, both 17 43

Filson M (keeping)

J Press 15 32 oxford

Corneliani 54L (euro) herringbone

Polo wool sweater NWT

Polo (keeping)

Nordstrom cap toes (keeping)

Also found a huuuge stack of 12" hip hop singles, notified a friend who was excited to take a whole lot of them home. Did buy this one:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Ha, looks like I did something wrong
shog[1].gif

I`ve been checking out the VV on bloor and the little vintage store near it. It`s the biggest VV I`ve been to but people tell me the Queen East location is better.
I picked up mostly pants at the bloor location, but I got:
two NWT Farah vintage pants, one in red and one in beige, $7 each (saw TNT in yorkville was selling them for $150!)
a bunch of NWT wesc pants in navy, black and a weird listerine green, $25 each, but I didn`t check the fit and they`re very slim
a billionaire boys tshirt (not sure if it`s real)
My fried friend got a few Ferragamo flats for less than $10 each at the Q.East location
Apparently winners can have some good finds as well, I`ve heard people finding Thom Browne and RLPL there. The only thing I`ve found there is GANT
I have better luck going to 50% off sales though, for boxing week I picked up:
at holts last call, APC new cures for $45, friend got some Michael Kors purse for $70 (apparently a steal). Saw some size 4-5 Thom Browne, apparently they will no longer carry it.
at urban I got brown sperry boat shoes for $30, toms for $10, APC madaras sweater, jacket and jeans for $35,50,25 and all of the Crate (made in LA) stuff was 50% off
at h&m, picked up the camel suit set today for more than 70% off!
but my goal is to find some Giani Versace items because I just love the prints

Sounds like you're on the right track then, minus the listerine-coloured pants for $25.

Just, we don't usually share locations of thrift shops publicly, as it's considered bad form by many to blow out other people's sweet spots.

By the way, I haven't been to the HLC since before Christmas, but if that Thom Browne is on sale, I'd buy it for a flip.

Oh, and a PSA to all you GTAers: The Harry Rosen outlet in Mississauga has some sweet steals right now, including a whole whack of Etro shirts for $20 each. In fact, here's a few (and one Gant x Basian):

Also grabbed a house brand made in Italy merino sweater for $35:

Only two thrift finds today, but they're pretty cool.

Eddie Bauer made in USA moleskins with leather trim on the pockets and a flap pocket (for ammo?). Available for cost + shipping to anyone who's a 40W, 30L as they were too awesome to pass.

And probably my second-ever non-clothing find. Maus I and II, unopened, still got the $40 price tag on it.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not drunk but this made me lol for real, too...I wish I can roll with a curvaceous female sensei/student/friend/classmate/fighter where I'll pull mount on her and then she will pull guard on me and maybe I'll try hard enough, she'll put me in a triangle...:inlove: ...and yes, that's my strategy. I've clearly thought this through...

:uhoh:

Did anyone notice that the Anderson & Sheppard item that RAYXLUI posted in post 58571 is made for the same attorney (CARPIO) as SPOO’s Brown Vicuna post?

Yeah. Definitely Whopner at 5.Definitely. Definitely Whopner.

Looked up this label and the trademark info for "Charvet et Fils" (charvet and sons), and it looks like it was registered from 1956 to 1991, but was used as far back as the 1940s since there are old Charvet bowties from the 40s with this on it.  

I have one from this same era. like 2" wide. Cool as crap, but very stained.

Here are the finds from today's quick drop in at my local shop.
I guess Nat missed my store lol. Will probably head back and turn the place upside down after these were brought out as I was leaving.
E.G. Cappelli Napoli 7 fold tie.

E. Marinella Napoli tie

Kiton 7 fold

Drakes

Gianni Versace

Wesc selvedge and Trafalgar belt for myself

And these I never seen before so I grabbed and hoped for the best.
Sutor Mantellassi Chocolate loafers. New no box tagged 8.5 not sure if US or EU.

To quote Neo: Whoa.

Yep that's the place. Saw that Ben Silver also.
antirabbit: Score on the Stuart's Choice!

Passed on a Stuart's Choice shirt. Would that have been made by someone decent?

+1 tax season... I myself donated a ton of stuff

Some of my best scores were this time last year. Unfortunately, I'm out of commission until well into the new year. :uhoh:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Ughhhh. Gotta love getting Dior Homme for a steal.
Are those the Clawmark ones?

Props for finding some Thom Browne. I have yet to get that cherry popped. But yeah, sleeveless Oxford is outrageous.

Just checked, and yes they are. And that Thom Browne shirt is quite possibly the most awesome thing I could never picture a straight man wearing.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here are the finds from today's quick drop in at my local shop. I guess Nat missed my store lol. Will probably head back and turn the place upside down after these were brought out as I was leaving.
I picked up two kiton ties from there yesterday. One is untagged, but one of the very recent super thin cashmere ties. Absurd.

I saw the WESC stuff, was debating picking it all up when it goes on sale. Think I'm deciding against it.

flatspotting

Reaction score
Well the Thrifting Gods have not been the nicest to me on my last few trips -

Again today, only 1 find... and it's too big!

Holt Renfrew Dark Navy Overcoat in 44L - 50% Wool 50% Cashmere. (Available)

It has tags that are Made in England - does anyone know anything more about who makes the coats for them?

Here it is:

It looks fantastic and is in great shape - I WISH it was a 40L, even a 42L i could struggle to pull of if it was thinner, but this doesn't work.

It is available for Trade if someone has something to offer - if not, it will go to my Dad as a gift.

Thanks for any info on this people! Happy Thrifting!

Last edited:

jlewis

Reaction score
First thrift post, pics coming soon (as soon as theres another day with sun around here).

Recent Zegna Su Misura 15 mil 15 SC, size 42
1970's YSL made in France pinstripe 3-piece (either a 34 or a 36, can't find the size tag)
NWT Rag & Bone handmade shawl-collar sweater, size M and L
NWOT vintage Pendleton wool shirt, size S
Recent Burberry London navy SC with logo engraved buttons, size 48
Current label BB zip-up Italian fabric jacket, size M (keeping)
Ridicuous recent Fred Perry polo, size L (keeping)
Zegna tie
Recent Brioni tie (keeping)

frankblackwatch

Reaction score
Sheesh. This post took me back -- and took quite some time to go through, even skipping (hundreds of) pages here and there. My thrifting for fun and profit goes from finding a pair of Air Jordan 1s at a Delaware Goodwill around '90 (they were two sizes too big and I wore them anyway) to an orange Schott Perfecto I picked up at a Long Island Goodwill a year or so back (my size and $19.99, but, um, yeah, orange motorcycle jackets) that was an easy flip. And my tie rack is probably equal parts thrift and Marshalls. Least now I know there's a place to share.

Dior Homme at a thrift store and Tellasons for less than $15 -- man. And all the Aldens! Not likely I'm gonna find those things here in NYC, but I still hold out hope on Long Island trips.

Cheers, thank you, and happy New Years to all.

pfhtrad

Reaction score
+1 tax season... I myself donated a ton of stuff
Normally, I visit the thrifts on the way to school in the morning. But, I'm not in school and I'm still dropping by daily. During the school year, I usually walk out empty handed or with one or two things. This past week, daily visits, I've been spending on average $120 per day. It's incredible. Drowning in gently worn brooks brothers suits, Harris Tweeds and most recently a ton of Aldens (9-10 in E- EE). I've had to pass on french copper cookware and Denon amps because I can't carry them home (no car) I'm stocking up on inventory for the 'bay.

Since nearly everyone here has flipped an item at some time and more than a couple supplement their scholarships/education (like me, we all can't be Spoo) doing so, the big money question is will the fiscal cliff drive down sales on ebay as people save or will more people buy as they still seek luxury items but at a lower cost. For the economists in the room, how elastic (or inelastic) is the demand for second hand luxury goods? Might we make more money if we wait the cliff out?

Last edited:

jamiebryant

Reaction score
Just checked, and yes they are. And that Thom Browne shirt is quite possibly the most awesome thing I could never picture a straight man wearing.

FUCKIN SICK! I hate you!
Clawmarks are the highest selling Dior Homme jeans. You keeping them or selling them? Just curious.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big thanks to Nataku[/B ]for setting me up with some great Boss Baldessarini trousers. Nice summer weight, light grey material. Single, reverse pleats - my favourite!

codeman92190

Reaction score
Hey guys, I found this blazer recently and it seems pretty well made, but I don't know anything about the maker and I can't seem to find any info online. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, I already have a navy blazer similar to this, so this one is up for sale if anyone is interested and can give me a price.

mhtcjt37

Reaction score
Couple things today, 100% Camel Hair Polo Ralph Lauren made in the USA blazer 40R. Can't decide if I'm keeping or not.

Don't know if this was worth picking up, but it looked interesting. Wool LL Bean Blazer with "thinsulate" quilted interior. Really heavy and seems to be well made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads