1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow, great haul! That Marantz is a keeper too. I have the same model. Was given to me by a family friend who upgraded to a new Marantz. Looks to be missing the lid cover thing that goes over all the buttons on the front. Merely cosmetic, though.
    I am simply at a loss for words..... :wow:
    Definitely.

2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Second
    She a beauty!
    Hmmm, isn't that the licensed Lanvin mark? Does it not apply to shoes?

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Oh yeah, those Balwins are pretty awesome!

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Mostly a full-on tie day today, nearly all of them in the one place, stashed on a hanger right up the back. The manager gave me a 25% discount for buying so many too. NWT Zegna and Gucci [​IMG] Brionis. [​IMG] Some recent Zegnas [​IMG] Zegna Couture, I think. Can someone verify this label for me please? [​IMG] Some older Zegnas. The solid blue one is cotton, but lovely and soft. [​IMG] Nice no-name pocket square and silk scarf [​IMG] [​IMG] Ingram shirt [​IMG] Les Copains navy wool slacks. Anybody know who makes these? The label says F.B.P Italia Spa [​IMG] Brioni polo with enamelled metal buttons [​IMG]

5. klay49

klay49 Senior member

Good info, thanks. So what was wrong with the gorge on the jacket I posted a photo of?

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

This is the one you want. [​IMG] Edit: looks like another one was found, talk about synergy!
    Those look like shell
    I thrifted that same shacket last fall, it's fucking awesome!

1 person likes this.
  7. eazye

eazye Senior member

Found this amazing vintage Wilson bomber yesterday. Belted action back with removable fur collar. Feels just like the lamb fur on my Etro jacket and the oldest Wilson's label I've come across by far. This will replace a different bomber I found last year. The ribbing on the cuffs and hem are mint, which is rare in these old jackets and its got some great patina too. :slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pretty recent Oxxford for Barney's charcoal pinstripe suit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also a women's Irish hand knit fisherman's sweater, though my computer is acting up and I'm not sure where those pictures went.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    edit: here they are.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. rathebaindc

rathebaindc Senior member

Some of my best finds ever recently: All Available.

Very pleased with this Canali Exclusive DB suit. It's absolutely mint; my best find ever.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pal Zileri Blazer 40R. Paid more than regular thrift prices for this one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Majer 100% Cashmere 3/2 blazer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8100 Kurabo Denim. Anyone care to tell me about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Pendelton Sportcoat 44 Long with patch pockets and suede elbow patches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BB Madison 1818 Sportcoat tagged 44L, but fits me nicely at 42 R/L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Badass NWOT BB Madison 44L Sportcoat, never worn, but has no buttons. Saxxon Wool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My first Fray shirt
    [​IMG]

First Mastai Ferretti
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^ That's some nice shit right there. :fonz:

10. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

I'm going to have to start avoiding your posts for the sake of my mental health, knowing you're in the same city. Great haul!

11. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

^Spoilers, bro.

rathebaindc - nice finds!

1 person likes this.
  12. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Can someone please confirm for me that POW cashmere/wool blend brioni suit + probably not urine stains on the zipper lining = pass?

13. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Finally caught up after what seems like weeks of posts to read. I hit up the shops while in Palm Springs/Desert, and as expected, nothing good to be had. The outlet shops on the way home though... Holy hell.
    The Loro Piana outlet store- what an exercise in futility it was to visit. Amazing jackets raining down like mana from heaven, at 50% off or more, meaning they were still $2500-$4000. Favorite shop was the Barney's outlet by a long shot. They had this Neil Barrett trench in my size for $350. Had the sleeves been 2-3 inches longer, I would have pulled the trigger, even though I may only have the opportunity to wear it once a year around here.

Speaking of "if the sleeves had been longer," I found this truly awesome Paul Stuart yesterday
    [​IMG]
    Shaped similar to a Barbour, made of a heavy canvas like material, color is less saturated than shown. Sucks, was in perfect condition and only $19.50, but again, the sleeves were too short. I need to find my hacksaw.

Another green jacket- This is not the Macintosh I'm looking for, right? Definitely had the classic Mac shape/style, but non of the materials.
    [​IMG]
    Another gent scouring the racks saw me try it on and said "You should buy that, it's a classic and it fits, expensive brand." I asked "But made in Holland?" He shrugged and said "Eh, globalization."

14. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Eazy, your outwear finds as of late have been off the FUCKING CHARTS! [​IMG]

I seriously cannot wait until winter is actually around, and the shit they bring out of the back of the shops for you to find!

Serious fucking business. Keepin this thread on its toes on the daily...[​IMG]

16. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Just a few things today:

[​IMG]
    Gant Indigo Madras for me (n/a)

[​IMG]
    Vintage Woolrich USA made flannel (LT)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canali for Bloomingdale Wool Cashmere (LP fabric) missing one cuff button (EU 56L)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sanyo black raincoat (L) ...are these worth pickup?

17. suited

suited Senior member

Cherry Pop...Dual Vent, Working Cuffs, the works:slayer:

...but it has 2 very tiny holes, one on the ticket pocket flat and another near the shoulder. I'm hoping they can be fixed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna Cord (n/a)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great haul.

2 people like this.
  18. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Senior member

Shout out to Nataku for the awesome Rag & Bone sweater. Great guy. :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  19. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

DAT HUNTSMAN!

Grats dude. Depending on the size of the holes, you're still probably looking at around a hundo to fix it. Best of luck!

Also that Brioni is still proabably sportcoatable / flippable as an orphan. If the price is thrifty, I'd kop.

Welcome to the jungle! :p

As far as going back to pick up those things, they don't sound like they're worth the return trip. My best advice to you is to learn your brands and learn what good craftsmanship looks like. That and ask us when you need help- most people here are very knowledgeable (Except me, I'm the house n00b)

Good luck!

20. Stissius

Stissius Well-Known Member

I think pretty much any Brioni is worth a pickup at true thrift prices. For a suit w/ ruined pants you could ditch them and just sell an odd jacket and still make a killing. Likewise for other things like shirts/pants, stained/small holes/other issues aren't really a death sentence--flipping-wise, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.