1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

^ The BB is made out of what's called poplin, and it's from the late '70s-'80s. The union tag was used from 1976 onward, and that style of BB label was used up until sometime after BB was bought by Marks & Spencer in 1988.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

^^
    No info on the first. Like the double breast, not so much the buttons but that's fixable. At least its single vented.

The second is a slightly older brooks mainline label. The ACTWU label tells you it was USA made after EDIT: 1976, apparently. The Brooks label probably narrows that somewhat to around the early 1990s, i think, since I think they stopped using the neckline labels and moved to inner pocket labels in the mid 1990s. Other Brks brob experts can probably give you a more precise range, but I would goes like late 80s, early 90s. As for the 1818 on the tag, its not the 1818 Madison line. At that time, it was only mainline, golden fleece, 346 and brooksease/brooksgate (again, I think); the 1818 line came much later. The reference to 1818 is just how the mainline tags read at the time.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

you got a problem wit the way we tawk here in NYC?

^^ Brooks question: Org beat me to it and is a much more reliable resource.

4. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

[​IMG]

This the label I'm looking for? Is this a thing?

5. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

^^^
    Baracuta thing = Nothing

Sorry

6. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Thanks. Didn't think so as it wasn't made anywhere special. Thought I'd ask because it was new.

7. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I believe Eazy thrifted one a few days ago and posted pics. Check those out. This one you have posted is just a cheap department store brand.

8. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Are Chipp suits worth a kop? Full suit in a Prince of Wales pattern.

9. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

10. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Very respectable trad maker (made suits for JFK), however, won't have the kind of name recognition as others such as BB and Press. For trad fans, though, it should be of interest.

11. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Thanks for the info! I'll have to take another trip and see if it is still there. No luck finding the pants for that beautiful orphan JPress suit from earlier in the week either, unfortunately.

-----

This also worked well last time, so I'll try it again. If anyone has or picks up a chili-suitable belt in around a 34, please send me a pm and I'll take it off your hands.

12. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

Sweet mercy, all of Eddie's haul posts must be what it's like for women to read 50 Shades of Grey.

1 person likes this.
  13. sthenosall

sthenosall Well-Known Member

Picked up some decent stuff this week. Had a lot of meetings so I was able to hit some places I don't usually get to.

Four nice dress shirts. The boss is mine. I know it's not a favorite here but it's spread collar, staple white, slim fit, fits perfect and was NWT. The brionis and borrelli are available. Borrelli 15.5 3/4, brionis are 16 and an 18.5 for the big guys.

Annndddd pics aren't loading. We'll try this again later...

14. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

First Helmut Lang I've ever found -- ivory / suede in a stinking size 6. Fairly lightly worn -- anything to worry about with authenticity? This isn't quite my style -- thinking it is men's, correct?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. sthenosall

sthenosall Well-Known Member

Ok, let's try this again.
    Brioni x2 16 and 18.5 for the big guys. Borrelli 15 3/4. All available. Boss is for me. Perfect fir, NWT white and spread collar.
    [​IMG]

Picked up 3 linen shirts for myself. 2 J. Crew and one BR. I know. But it fit great and it was a nice summer light green pastel. Great for just knocking around in.
    [​IMG]

A nice REI jacket for this fall. Great for walking the dog and and whatnot. It actually looks and feels really nice.
    [​IMG]

NWT Patagonia Capilene for me. I think this is this years Model.
    [​IMG]

The best fitting Harris Tweed I've come across. Like a glove. I saw at least a half dozen more. Do you guys pick them up? I don't really feel like being stuck with tons off them, their all over here. All of them were in normal sizes as well. So if anyone wants them (or wants to sell them for me!) let me know.
    [​IMG]

Some nice ties. BB black knit square tip, Charvet, RLPL in a sweet green paisley, and solid sulka sorta gold/yellow. Not bad actually. N/A

[​IMG]

And a really nice pair of Florsheim longwing shells. Fantastic condition. 10.5D these are available if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

Fantastic shape. Very little creasing.

[​IMG]

I just really dig the color. Wish they fit, but they were too good to pass up.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I was in my way out so was pretty abrupt in my response. As div25sec9 said, see eazye's. The thing you want is the G9 Baracuta Harrington.

17. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Found an Oxxford SC. UFT if anyone cares.

[​IMG]

I don't think the fit is THAT bad - I'm a 42, tag claims 44 Tall. Still... I don't want it. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will swap for a size 42 SC of like 'caliber'.

Note me, please. :)

18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Jared Lang good, bad, ugly?

Found three, one NWT.

[​IMG]

19. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Think RG, if its loud it will sale, NWT shouldn't be a problem getting 60, used 25 probably...if its pretty subdued, I would leave.

20. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Kind of like a (marginally) more tasteful RG.
    Flipped a couple NWT for ~$40-50. YMMV.
    edit: Tweets was quicker on the draw with a similar sentiment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.